The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Everything Bitcoin Thread

Bitcoin is one of 2015's biggest winners

Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 | 4:01 PM ETCNBC.com

Gold is down nearly 10 percent, major U.S. stock indexes are roughly flat and energy commodities have nearly all fallen more than 30 percent: It's been a tough year for investors. And while individual stocks have seen big pops on headlines, perhaps the best performing non-equity asset of the year is a favorite among crypto-anarchists.

Bitcoin, the digital currency heralded as a potential successor to the global monetary system, is up about 37 percent against the U.S. dollar since the beginning of the year. The cryptocurrency went for about $313 at the beginning of the year, according to CoinDesk's composite price index, and is now changing hands at around $430.

Those huge gains come after starting the year on rocky footing: Bitcoin dipped to below $175 in mid-January. But after a few false starts, the digital currency has been largely gaining ground since the beginning of October.

(One of the few investment options with a comparable 2015 return is Argentina's benchmark Merval — up about 40 percent on the year. Although U.S. investors playing the Global X Argentina ETF would be disappointed by the fund's slight loss in 2015.)

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/29/bitcoin-is-one-of-2015s-biggest-winners.html

Edited by Grapefruits
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Bitcoin is one of 2015's biggest winners

Great timing in picking the 6th anniversary of it's release to post this!

Like I stated in the stock market thread...

Best performing currency in the world since 2009:

2010 - Bitcoin +3700%

2011 - Bitcoin +1500%

2012 - Bitcoin +300%

2013 - Bitcoin +5400%

2014 - USD +13% (Bitcoin -57% , the worst performing currency in the world that year)

2015 - Bitcoin +37%

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bitcoin hacked! Millions stolen after exchange attacked.

OMG how could that happen...

Bitfinix, a Hong Kong exchange for Bitcoin and one of the world's largest, halted trading on it's exchange this week after their system was hacked and tens of millions of dollars were stolen from customer accounts. 

Forexlive Image View

The company posted in a blog post that the exchange was " investigating the breach to determine what happened, but we know that some of our users have had their bitcoins stolen".  

The thief's made off with 119,756 bitcoins in total. With a bitcoin going for $563 currently that equals 67.4 million.  Not a bad bank heist.

I don't know about you but I never truly understood the Bitcoin phenomena.  They are created. They are mined. They are used to remain anonymous and therefore are used by drug traffickers and for other illegal activity.  I know 100,000 merchants accept bitcoin.  I don't know about you, but I don't see many at all... It certainly is not used to every day transaction purposes.  

The one thing that seems fairly certain to me, is things like this event will happen, where suddenly there is a hack and the electronic bitcoins are stolen from accounts.  How could that happen?  I doubt the "authorities" have the wherewithal to solve that heist (or to return the bitcoin to the rightful owners).  You see that fall in price in the chart above, I get the feeling it was the robbers getting rid of the loot.  You can sell down to $1 and still make a profit if you are never caught.  

So there will now be $67 million of bitcoin sloshing around, looking for the next sucker who will buy it from the thiefs.  When that is done and funds converted to dollars, the heist will be complete.  The losers will be the poor suckers who will subsequently check their cryptocurrency wallet only to  find, they can't buy the drugs they wanted with the anonymous currency of the future.  Bummer.

:lol:

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Bitcoin hacked! Millions stolen after exchange attacked.

OMG how could that happen...

Bitfinix, a Hong Kong exchange for Bitcoin and one of the world's largest, halted trading on it's exchange this week after their system was hacked and tens of millions of dollars were stolen from customer accounts. 

Forexlive Image View

The company posted in a blog post that the exchange was " investigating the breach to determine what happened, but we know that some of our users have had their bitcoins stolen".  

The thief's made off with 119,756 bitcoins in total. With a bitcoin going for $563 currently that equals 67.4 million.  Not a bad bank heist.

I don't know about you but I never truly understood the Bitcoin phenomena.  They are created. They are mined. They are used to remain anonymous and therefore are used by drug traffickers and for other illegal activity.  I know 100,000 merchants accept bitcoin.  I don't know about you, but I don't see many at all... It certainly is not used to every day transaction purposes.  

The one thing that seems fairly certain to me, is things like this event will happen, where suddenly there is a hack and the electronic bitcoins are stolen from accounts.  How could that happen?  I doubt the "authorities" have the wherewithal to solve that heist (or to return the bitcoin to the rightful owners).  You see that fall in price in the chart above, I get the feeling it was the robbers getting rid of the loot.  You can sell down to $1 and still make a profit if you are never caught.  

So there will now be $67 million of bitcoin sloshing around, looking for the next sucker who will buy it from the thiefs.  When that is done and funds converted to dollars, the heist will be complete.  The losers will be the poor suckers who will subsequently check their cryptocurrency wallet only to  find, they can't buy the drugs they wanted with the anonymous currency of the future.  Bummer.

:lol:

This is why you don't store your coins on the exchange.  I get a kick out of all the hate bitcoin receives.  I've been trading for over a year and a half now and have made a good chunk of coin.

Just wait until the world moves to digital currency.  This will be small potatoes in comparison.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

This is why you don't store your coins on the exchange.  I get a kick out of all the hate bitcoin receives.  I've been trading for over a year and a half now and have made a good chunk of coin.

Just wait until the world moves to digital currency.  This will be small potatoes in comparison.

I guess the value of the Bitcoin is why countries keep gold still? 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

That's flippin insane.

I still remember when Bitcoin first came out.  I was like, "It's worthless.  It will never go anywhere so there's no point".  Even a couple years ago I thought that it was only a matter of time until it crashed....  Soooo, I was really really wrong. :lol:

• Upvote 1