The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living with people that smoke..

RottenCanuck22

Rink on Renfrew, it is about being a good neighbour.

Yes, I get that. My point is people have become way too sensitive on this issue. You know what, you don't own the air and as much as you want to avoid it, there is alway going to be something you're going to have to put up with.

My neighbour have loud xxx should I move into this place?

Hey, I agree there are a lot of rude smokers out there who are the problem.

TMI. I have visions of D scouring the town for ground floor basement suite windows. ;)

As I grew up, every single person around me smoked (too)...in the car, in the house, everywhere. My Mom's room smelled of smoke long after she was gone...even with washing the curtains, walls, etc., years of heavy smoking is hard to get rid of.

Like you, I just got used to it...AND took up smoking at a young age. The smell doesn't bother me while someone's smoking, it's the after stench I hate.

But if they are smoking 20 feet above me on the balcony and not inside the house at all it can't be that bad right? I mean for health and smell concerns.

Yes, I get that. My point is people have become way too sensitive on this issue. You know what, you don't own the air and as much as you want to avoid it, there is alway going to be something you're going to have to put up with.

My neighbour have loud xxx should I move into this place?

Hey, I agree there are a lot of rude smokers out there who are the problem.

In general I'm a pretty happy a guy and very few things tick me off but smoking people are definitely one of them. It's not about being sensitive it's about protecting your health. Second hand smoke is worse than first cause none of the stuff in the air is filter before you breath it in.

In general I'm a pretty happy a guy and very few things tick me off but smoking people are definitely one of them. It's not about being sensitive it's about protecting your health. Second hand smoke is worse than first cause none of the stuff in the air is filter before you breath it in.

The person who smokes has a choice to smoke or not, but what people who do not smoke have is a choice over the air they breathe.

Please don't call me ignorant. There are people in this thread talking about how bad smoke smells, not the adverse health effects. They are complaining; complainers are sometimes called 'whiners'. What's the issue here? Also, It has nothing to do with my opinion of secondhand smoke, but everything to do with people that don't have much perspective. People with narrow minds really irk me.

I said your statement was ignorant, and I stand by that.

And the OP's statement was: "I'm still a bit worried about it "for my health concerns" so, wrong again.

So you can call people whiners and narrow minded because their opinion differs from yours but it's not ok for them to point out ignorance in your statements? That seems fair (not). Irks me when people do that double standard stuff. No fun at all.

No you shouldn't be concerned about smoke going down and wrapping into your unit.

The amount of paranoia surrounding cigarette smoking is unbelievable.

I find the early twenty something's have had reverse propaganda against smoking that they actually believe walking past it will effect their overall health. Yes, secondhand smoke is not good for you but the fear of it has gone way way way too far.

Seriously when I grew up it was the last of the Restraunt smokers among other places ie. malls, halls & common areas. I will agree the casually of it ha to stop for the workers who were forced to earn their pay in these areas for eight or more hours a day but the fact that people are concerned about a balcony above them in a unit that they don't even own is crazy to me.

Like other posters have said, there much more harmful products in your household then the odd whiff of smoke. Just my two cents...

This is coming from a non smoker who has been around smokers most of my life because at my work it's nearly unavoidable, plus some of my family members still smoke and I don't judge them like the new wave of anti smokers. Who just happen to be WAY more annoying then the occasional rude smoker.

I have never bought into the "don't worry about (harmful) things because there's something else worse for you" mentality. Breathing in second hand smoke is bad. And we've learned a lot since "the old days" and people died from lung cancer and other diseases that we're learning more about now.

So should I drink nail polish remover because damn if those toxins aren't going to get me anyhow?

Anyhow, again, I'm not that overly concerned about smoke...lived with it my entire life. Even like a waft of it every now and then. But I also fully understand and support those who wish to stay clear of it...and feel they have a right to that. No, they don't "own the air" - no one does and polluting it is more frowned upon than someone who wants it to remain free of pollutants like smoke. They win that argument, hands down, by default.

I can see the argument for secondhand smoke while INSIDE, like at a restaurant or bar. But complaining about secondhand smoke OUTSIDE is just ridiculous. Yes, the smoke itself might have higher concentrations of harmful chemicals because it has not been filtered. However, through turbulent mixing (fluid mechanics, anyone?) the concentration is reduced quickly enough that being being concerned about your health is an exercise in hypochondria.

Deb, I didn't call anyone narrow minded, nor did I suggest it. Like I said, my post was not in response to the OP but people complaining about the smell. And did you even read my post? I tried to make clear that I wasn't calling people whiners because they thought cigarette smoke smelled bad (which I agree with, btw), but that they were complaining about people doing something totally legal and within their rights and happens to be incredibly more common and less villainized almost everywhere else in the world.

EDIT: Deb, why are you editing my posts?

I can see the argument for secondhand smoke while INSIDE, like at a restaurant or bar. But complaining about secondhand smoke OUTSIDE is just ridiculous. Yes, the smoke itself might have higher concentrations of harmful chemicals because it has not been filtered. However, through turbulent mixing (fluid mechanics, anyone?) the concentration is reduced quickly enough that being being concerned about your health is an exercise in hypochondria.

I didn't call anyone narrow minded, nor did I suggest it. Like I said, my post was not in response to the OP but people complaining about the smell. And did you even read my post? I tried to make clear that I wasn't calling people whiners because they thought cigarette smoke smelled bad (which I agree with, btw), but that they were complaining about people doing something totally legal and within their rights and happens to be incredibly more common and less villainized almost everywhere else in the world.

Wrong it is in the same concentrations when passing by or staying near the smoker. It's is enough to cause changes in the aorta after just 5 mins of staying around one.

No you shouldn't be concerned about smoke going down and wrapping into your unit.

The amount of paranoia surrounding cigarette smoking is unbelievable.

I find the early twenty something's have had reverse propaganda against smoking that they actually believe walking past it will effect their overall health. Yes, secondhand smoke is not good for you but the fear of it has gone way way way too far.

Seriously when I grew up it was the last of the Restraunt smokers among other places ie. malls, halls & common areas. I will agree the casually of it ha to stop for the workers who were forced to earn their pay in these areas for eight or more hours a day but the fact that people are concerned about a balcony above them in a unit that they don't even own is crazy to me.

Like other posters have said, there much more harmful products in your household then the odd whiff of smoke. Just my two cents...

This is coming from a non smoker who has been around smokers most of my life because at my work it's nearly unavoidable, plus some of my family members still smoke and I don't judge them like the new wave of anti smokers. Who just happen to be WAY more annoying then the occasional rude smoker.

A-flippin'-men. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites when they hop in thier cars and do the same dam thing at a much larger scale. Ever go for a jog on a busy street? Imagine sitting in your car at a red light and getting the stink eye from everyone on the sidewalk. That doesn't happen because everyone drives or uses a vehicle to get around. So car exhaust is accepted as a byproduct of convinence but light a cig around Mod Flanders and its the end of the world...

A-flippin'-men. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites when they hop in thier cars and do the same dam thing at a much larger scale. Ever go for a jog on a busy street? Imagine sitting in your car at a red light and getting the stink eye from everyone on the sidewalk. That doesn't happen because everyone drives or uses a vehicle to get around. So car exhaust is accepted as a byproduct of convinence but light a cig around Mod Flanders and its the end of the world...

Cars have a purpose though, smoking is absolutely pointless. I think that's why people put up with cars and pity/look down upon smokers.

frack! what a damn shame man.. Why would that cancerous, disgusting, gross ass addictive money making skeem even be legal in this age? They should just make it illegal and stop selling them.

Ya like weed...it stinks like sh$t...and some people are believe it or not allergic to the smell...but no dont stop me from my weed...no...need weed...I know people who smoke it more than an average smoker...wait till the gov comes along and makes them put all those chemicals in it like they did with tobacco

Guess what though? If I'm idling my car outside and you come out and say "hey, can you shut it down?....you're puffing exhaust at me" I will (or drive away so it's not). Because it is my choice and that's the right attitude to take in a world where it's not all about just us. So yeah, if someone complains that I'm doing something that bothers them, I'll try to stop if I can. Sure, I could just puff out my chest and say "why should I?", but that is kind of ignorant.

But you keep doing it your way. Nelson (good for the goose/gander stuff).

BTW, don't be so dramatic. Mod Flanders did not say it's the end of the world to light a cigarette...so maybe read what I did have to say about it before filling your boots/agenda.

Cars have a purpose though, smoking is absolutely pointless. I think that's why people put up with cars and pity/look down upon smokers.

Not pointless to all. I dont smoke and would be all for a ban but when people whine that a whiff of 2nd hand smoke is dangerous then hop in their cars at some point you bet thats hypocritical.

Please enlighten me to why smoking has a point. The head rush, do you focus more? Get high? Feel cooler? Most smokes hate the fact they smoke they just got hooked, spend lots of money on it and damage their health among other peoples.

Personally I smoke because I enjoy the effects that nicotine has on my body. I can be quite scramble brained at times but a quick puff one-tracks my mind and helps me to focus as you stated. Time tends to go by faster for me on a jobsite when i'm smoking and working. In the last year i've switched to an E-hookah so my clouds just smell like watermelon lol. Hopefully some insight into the habit for ya' though

Lived my whole life with people who smoke. I still hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I've gotten used to it for the most part. As long as they're not blowing it in my face and we're outside, I'm okay with it. Can't stand walking behind someone who's smoking though.

Anyway, my bedroom is located on the ground floor/basement suite. When the windows are closed (i.e., colder months), it's fine, but when my window is open (i.e., warmer months), the smoke still gets in through the window. I don't know for sure if it's coming from upstairs or from my neighbours though.

So what you're saying is I don't even have to climb a tree to be able to get to your bedroom window/ :D

Archived