The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living with people that smoke..

RottenCanuck22

Get over it already. If you've lived somewhere other than BC (Vancouver especially) you would have realized how widespread and accepted smoking is (for example, in Quebec, landlords can't write it into your lease that you can't smoke inside your unit). I just got back last summer and was amazed to learn you can't even smoke in parks or at beaches now. I guess Nofuncouver is the best place for you whiners after all.

EDIT: For anyone who's interested, if you are concerned with chronic or acute toxicity from second hand smoke you could just model your apartment and find what the concentration of various chemicals in your air would be. It would take some leg work though.

http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/appcd/mmd/iaq.html

What's funny is the amount of off-gassing from regular home items are just as bad for your health as cigarettes are (probably more so because you can't detect it), especially if you keep windows and doors shut. Unless the entire place is tile (as flooring tends to be the worst offender, hardwoods chief among them) chances are you are constantly breathing very harmful and carcinogenic chemicals. Heffey's suggestion of an air purifier is more important than what most people think.

What's funny is the amount of off-gassing from regular home items are just as bad for your health as cigarettes are (probably more so because you can't detect it), especially if you keep windows and doors shut. Unless the entire place is tile (as flooring tends to be the worst offender, hardwoods chief among them) chances are you are constantly breathing very harmful and carcinogenic chemicals. Heffey's suggestion of an air purifier is more important than what most people think.

Any suggestions on a safe air purifier that doesnt cost $400 plus? Funny thing about what you said is the fact that lots of air purifiers themselves have been found to have harmful effects on us as well, the ozone that they produce. So yes, I would look at getting an air purifier but it has to be a good one that's not gonna make things even worse. And will an air purifier even help with the trace amounts of smoke that could get in? I thought they were mostly for alergens and VOC's n stuff.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions on air purifiers, but if you find something that does indeed target VOC's, it certainly wouldn't hurt (unless of course it doesn't work properly and slowly poisons you to death with chemicals of it's own). Good luck!

Get over it already. If you've lived somewhere other than BC (Vancouver especially) you would have realized how widespread and accepted smoking is (for example, in Quebec, landlords can't write it into your lease that you can't smoke inside your unit). I just got back last summer and was amazed to learn you can't even smoke in parks or at beaches now. I guess Nofuncouver is the best place for you whiners after all.

EDIT: For anyone who's interested, if you are concerned with chronic or acute toxicity from second hand smoke you could just model your apartment and find what the concentration of various chemicals in your air would be. It would take some leg work though.

http://www.epa.gov/n...cd/mmd/iaq.html

I used to smoke and don't have a problem with smokers, but to suggest people are whiners because they're trying to protect their health is rather ignorant. People accept all kinds of different things but, unless you're a sheeple, you decide for yourself not on what other people find acceptable.

If smoking is "fun" to you, all the power to you but namecalling people with a differing opinion is ridiculous.

Like others, I'd steer clear if you have options. If this is a concern before you've even moved in, what if it does bother you? Then you've got a whole other set of problems because you've already moved it.

I don't think it should be too much of an issue but you seem worried enough about it to maybe consider that? I can tell you that people smoke outside my door at work and, although I can smell it inside when they do, it dissipates and doesn't linger for long afterward. It's not like my office smells like smoke when I go in there... Good luck either way.

There's a man 2 floors above me that is an absolute chain smoker. Every 30min I hear his screen door opening, hacks up, spits over the deck, coughs 3 times and closes the door. I don't care about the odd whiff of smoke it's that dam hacking that makes me gag.

Secondhand smoke kills, you know. It’s far worse than the fumes you inhale directly. Take diethylene, one of those nasty carcinogens your doctor might have warned you about on your last visit. Firsthand smoke has between 5.3 and 43 nanograms of diethylene, whereas, secondhand smoke has 680 and 823 nanograms.Then we’ve got quinoline, another effective one, secondhand smoke has 18,000 nanograms; 11 times more than the amount you’re sucking down firsthand. You can make the choice to blacken your lungs, but don’t expect to enforce that on me.

- Jack Simon

Run for your life :)

Lived my whole life with people who smoke. I still hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I've gotten used to it for the most part. As long as they're not blowing it in my face and we're outside, I'm okay with it. Can't stand walking behind someone who's smoking though.

Anyway, my bedroom is located on the ground floor/basement suite. When the windows are closed (i.e., colder months), it's fine, but when my window is open (i.e., warmer months), the smoke still gets in through the window. I don't know for sure if it's coming from upstairs or from my neighbours though.

Lived my whole life with people who smoke. I still hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I've gotten used to it for the most part. As long as they're not blowing it in my face and we're outside, I'm okay with it. Can't stand walking behind someone who's smoking though.

Anyway, my bedroom is located on the ground floor/basement suite. When the windows are closed (i.e., colder months), it's fine, but when my window is open (i.e., warmer months), the smoke still gets in through the window. I don't know for sure if it's coming from upstairs or from my neighbours though.

TMI. I have visions of D scouring the town for ground floor basement suite windows. ;)

As I grew up, every single person around me smoked (too)...in the car, in the house, everywhere. My Mom's room smelled of smoke long after she was gone...even with washing the curtains, walls, etc., years of heavy smoking is hard to get rid of.

Like you, I just got used to it...AND took up smoking at a young age. The smell doesn't bother me while someone's smoking, it's the after stench I hate.

TMI. I have visions of D scouring the town for ground floor basement suite windows. ;)

As I grew up, every single person around me smoked (too)...in the car, in the house, everywhere. My Mom's room smelled of smoke long after she was gone...even with washing the curtains, walls, etc., years of heavy smoking is hard to get rid of.

Like you, I just got used to it...AND took up smoking at a young age. The smell doesn't bother me while someone's smoking, it's the after stench I hate.

LOL that's a scary thought!

I grew up during a time where people smoked everywhere, too. My dad always smoked in the car (hated that), my grandfathers, uncles, dad all smoked inside their houses. I hated the smell so much that I never wanted to even try cigarettes, so that's a plus. Haha

I spent a few weeks in HK before they banned indoor smoking. I'd be eating in a restaurant and someone from the next table would light up a cig. Lost my appetite right away. Then we'd go to a club/bar where it'd be filled with so much cigarette smoke that you can't even see anything. That was probably the worst.

Why do you think that hardwood flooring is a bad offender? I've done studies on indoor air quality and I agree with you when you say that flooring tends to be the worst, but I found that hardwood flooring itself to be a magnificent alternative to linoleum or carpet. Maybe you are thinking of parkay or laminate, not true hardwood? The resins/stains put on hardwood can be bad but they finish offgassing quickly (and also there are some products that do not contain VOCs). Ikea-type furniture and wall coverings (i.e. paint) can also be bad offenders.

I used to smoke and don't have a problem with smokers, but to suggest people are whiners because they're trying to protect their health is rather ignorant. People accept all kinds of different things but, unless you're a sheeple, you decide for yourself not on what other people find acceptable.

If smoking is "fun" to you, all the power to you but namecalling people with a differing opinion is ridiculous.

Please don't call me ignorant. There are people in this thread talking about how bad smoke smells, not the adverse health effects. They are complaining; complainers are sometimes called 'whiners'. What's the issue here? Also, It has nothing to do with my opinion of secondhand smoke, but everything to do with people that don't have much perspective. People with narrow minds really irk me.

I'm considering moving to a new place where the people upstairs smoke outside on their balcony. My suite would be below their balcony. There is no smoking inside the house period though, it is all outside. I'm still a bit worried about it for my health concerns. If my door is shut and windows are shut, the smoke should just go up and not really affect my living quarters right? It seems to be a pretty air tight suite and its very modern, also there is no stairwell or anything going up to their place. Its a completely self contained suite.

What do you guys think? Will it be safe to live there? It definitly wouldnt be as bad as an apartment building where people tend to smoke inside or just on their balconies a lot..

No. I used to live in a basement suite where the upstairs landlords smoked outside twice daily on their balcony. Even with all windows & doors shut and secured, I was still able to "enjoy" their secondhand smoke.

My suggestion? Live somewhere else. Nothing annoyed me more than waking up to the wonderful aroma of cigarettes at 6am in the morning.

No you shouldn't be concerned about smoke going down and wrapping into your unit.

The amount of paranoia surrounding cigarette smoking is unbelievable.

I find the early twenty something's have had reverse propaganda against smoking that they actually believe walking past it will effect their overall health. Yes, secondhand smoke is not good for you but the fear of it has gone way way way too far.

Seriously when I grew up it was the last of the Restraunt smokers among other places ie. malls, halls & common areas. I will agree the casually of it ha to stop for the workers who were forced to earn their pay in these areas for eight or more hours a day but the fact that people are concerned about a balcony above them in a unit that they don't even own is crazy to me.

Like other posters have said, there much more harmful products in your household then the odd whiff of smoke. Just my two cents...

This is coming from a non smoker who has been around smokers most of my life because at my work it's nearly unavoidable, plus some of my family members still smoke and I don't judge them like the new wave of anti smokers. Who just happen to be WAY more annoying then the occasional rude smoker.

No. I used to live in a basement suite where the upstairs landlords smoked outside twice daily on their balcony. Even with all windows & doors shut and secured, I was still able to "enjoy" their secondhand smoke.

My suggestion? Live somewhere else. Nothing annoyed me more than waking up to the wonderful aroma of cigarettes at 6am in the morning.

What I would like to see is all-smoking and non-smoking apartment buildings. There are people that have asthma and secondhand cigarette smoke triggers asthmatic episodes--I know because it has happened to me.

No you shouldn't be concerned about smoke going down and wrapping into your unit.

The amount of paranoia surrounding cigarette smoking is unbelievable.

I find the early twenty something's have had reverse propaganda against smoking that they actually believe walking past it will effect their overall health. Yes, secondhand smoke is not good for you but the fear of it has gone way way way too far.

Seriously when I grew up it was the last of the Restraunt smokers among other places ie. malls, halls & common areas. I will agree the casually of it ha to stop for the workers who were forced to earn their pay in these areas for eight or more hours a day but the fact that people are concerned about a balcony above them in a unit that they don't even own is crazy to me.

Like other posters have said, there much more harmful products in your household then the odd whiff of smoke. Just my two cents...

This is coming from a non smoker who has been around smokers most of my life because at my work it's nearly unavoidable, plus some of my family members still smoke and I don't judge them like the new wave of anti smokers. Who just happen to be WAY more annoying then the occasional rude smoker.

Rink on Renfrew, it is about being a good neighbour.

This.

Or when you are passing by a guy who's smoking and and he is walking in the opposite direction. I just hate it being around smokers in general cause second hand smoke is actually more dangerous then first since first hand smokers have a filter to take out some chemicals before inhaling. On the other hand anybody around a smoker just takes those chemicals in many of which lead to cancer.

I'd rather screw what people think of me and put my sweater over my nose when passing by a smoker rather than take those chemicals in.

Archived