The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Figured I'd Share This Copyright Infringement Notice I got a Few Months Ago

Alex the Great

So a few months ago I got this email

First it was this :

Dear Subscriber,

Content owners that hold property rights for material such as movies, music and other content, actively monitor Internet activity to protect their rights. We have been notified by a content owner that your Internet Protocol (IP) address has been associated with copyright infringement. As part of new Canadian copyright legislation*, we are obliged to forward to you the attached copy of the content owner's notice. We are unaware of the full details and merit of this infringement claim. If you have questions concerning this matter, please contact the content owner directly. Contact information is listed in the attached notice.

Infringement of copyright laws may result in the content owner pursuing remedies available under applicable laws to protect their interests. We encourage enabling secured passwords on your home Wi-Fi network if you have one to avoid unauthorized use of your Internet connection.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Shaw Cablesystems G.P.

Then a few minutes later I got this

Dear WEENIES

We are writing this message on behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc..

We have received information that an individual has utilized the

below-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer

downloads of copyrighted material.

The title in question is: Pacific Rim

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television

programs constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act,

Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also

violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty

obligations.

Since you own this IP address BLAHAHAHA

we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Contact the subscriber who has engaged in the conduct described

above and take steps to prevent the subscriber from further downloading

or uploading Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. content without authorization; and

2) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse

Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.

On behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., owner of the exclusive rights

in the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state that

we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner

complained of is not authorized by Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.,

its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, that we are authorized

to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed

as set forth in this notification.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this

matter. Your prompt response is requested.

Any further enquiries can be directed to BLAHBLAH

Please include this message with your enquiry to ensure a swift response.

Respectfully,

Andrew Martin

Enforcement Officer

IP-Echelon

Email:

Phone :

Address:

I took out the contact information and my IP but I asked my friend if I could get in crap for this and he basically said no.

Thought I'd share this with CDC to see if anyone else has ever got one of these bad boys

Yeah, that's what I figured, I just stay away from the more popular torrents now

I stick to 1 very trusted user on a website. He gets thousands of downloaded within hours of putting something up. He's legit...

I don't go outside of this because I don't trust downloading anything else...

In the U.S. some major ISP's have voluntarily joined a 6 strikes and you're out program. Since Shaw Cable is in Canada, I have no idea if Shaw has any agreements. Do a quick Google search.

If you get another letter just e-mail Shaw and deny that you have done anything. Pretend you have no idea what a Torrent file is, etc.

The copyright owners have to prove that it was you if they want to take anything to court. You can just say that your Wi-Fi connection was hacked and/or unsecured.

Use Peerblock. It's definitely not foolproof but it helps to keep you off of their radar if their IP address is on one of Peerblock's lists.

I've got one of these before because of a roommate so I had no problem being very inquisitive. Basically this is your cable provider telling you that Warner Bros or whoever are pinging your dowload for copyright infringement but Shaw is not giving up any of your details or proof ... of course unless it does go to court and the judge forces discovery ... that's a looooooooooooot of steps away though.

I would have an excuse ready at all times like you didn't have your account password protected and someone highjacked your wifi. And you can tell them that of course anyone would know that Pacific Rim has to absolutely blow so who in their right mind would download it. ::D

I stick to 1 very trusted user on a website. He gets thousands of downloaded within hours of putting something up. He's legit...

I don't go outside of this because I don't trust downloading anything else...

I don't download movies very often, but for TV shows I go with a user by the name of ETTV. Excellent resource.

. My movie stealing days were trailing off a lot anyways and then my favorite site Isohunt got taken down..that was the end for me tho supposedly its been replaced by mirrored sites but Im not into it anymore. Between having 400 channels on the TV, netflix, Crackle, and a lot of movies in their entirety on Youtube now ( who knew Jet Li made so many?) I dont need any illegal content.

Archived