The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Samsung Galaxy 8.4 or Ipad Mini with Retina?

DefCon1

Go to BestBuy and test them out and see which one you like. I have an HP Tablet with Android installed on it and it not bad, slightly buggy at times simply because its not "official builds" and I have an iPhone and like the iOS system. I could go either way for my next phone/tablet, just go and find whats right for you.

Go to BestBuy and test them out and see which one you like. I have an HP Tablet with Android installed on it and it not bad, slightly buggy at times simply because its not "official builds" and I have an iPhone and like the iOS system. I could go either way for my next phone/tablet, just go and find whats right for you.

If I buy an iPad, is it better to just buy it from the Apple store or is it better to get one from craiglist (brand new) and save on the tax and a bit on the retail price?

If I buy an iPad, is it better to just buy it from the Apple store or is it better to get one from craiglist (brand new) and save on the tax and a bit on the retail price?

Most on Craigslist are selling the wifi mini 16g new in box for $400. Retail at the mac store is $419 + $50.28 tax with free shipping (if you buy online). So you basically save $70 when buying on Craigslist. How much is the mild level of sketchiness involved in buying on Craigslist worth to you?

EDIT: if you buy online you can have 2 lines of engraving done by apple on the back of the ipad for free. Most people wouldnt care too much but for some it might be a big deal.

part of my job is that I deal with these type of products, to be honest, I suggest you to get the ipad mini, that said, if you really really really want an android, I suggest getting this.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-nexus-7-2nd-gen-3d-88308.htm

I've used many and tested many tablets, I feel this is the best android tablet, based on performance smoothness, and the quality of the build. It's the closes thing to an apple product. It's solid as hell, and I believe it's best for what you are asking for. On top of that Asus is an extremely easy company to work with.

Have a problem with it? no problem, contact Asus and asus only give them a serial number send it in for repairs.

I've tested many tablets, I will be honest, I have yet to use a Galaxy 8.4, i'm not impressed with Samsung tablet lines, and I will stand by word, that their tablets are extremely overrated, and they are selling well due to hype.

part of my job is that I deal with these type of products, to be honest, I suggest you to get the ipad mini, that said, if you really really really want an android, I suggest getting this.

I've used many and tested many tablets, I feel this is the best android tablet, based on performance smoothness, and the quality of the build. It's the closes thing to an apple product. It's solid as hell, and I believe it's best for what you are asking for. On top of that Asus is an extremely easy company to work with.

Have a problem with it? no problem, contact Asus and asus only give them a serial number send it in for repairs.

I've tested many tablets, I will be honest, I have yet to use a Galaxy 8.4, i'm not impressed with Samsung tablet lines, and I will stand by word, that their tablets are extremely overrated, and they are selling well due to hype.

This. Touchwiz is just awful and it lags the hell out of your tablet. I have an S4, and as much as I like android, Touchwiz just lags the hell out of my phone.

Thanks for giving me this information. I found an ipad mini with retina display 64 gb / LTE for only $600. I just texted the seller to see if they have the receipt but in the listing it said they got it for gift. It is a really good price but am just thinking if its better to buy that one or pay $749 + tax and buy the new one from Apple. Am also going to US in the long weekend so I do have the option to buy it in the States but am not sure how much I will say with the Canadian dollars being lower right now.

This. Touchwiz is just awful and it lags the hell out of your tablet. I have an S4, and as much as I like android, Touchwiz just lags the hell out of my phone.

Yeah, it seems Touchwiz just makes the tablet run slower for Samsung. I honestly don't have any Samsung phones since I have my Nexus 4 running great. I would definitely jump at the Nexus line of tablets if they had an 8" tablet that had at least 64 GB of memory with Global LTE. Great thing that Ipad air/mini retina has is it's global LTE coverage.

Yeah, it seems Touchwiz just makes the tablet run slower for Samsung. I honestly don't have any Samsung phones since I have my Nexus 4 running great. I would definitely jump at the Nexus line of tablets if they had an 8" tablet that had at least 64 GB of memory with Global LTE. Great thing that Ipad air/mini retina has is it's global LTE coverage.

I'm not really anti-Apple products, but just really dislike the flash memory system with no expandable memory on Apple. It seems like a way to get more cash out of you when a majority of other tablets have an expandable memory of up to 64 GB. I'm not really a fan of iOS either, don't like its lack of customization abilities.

I'm not really anti-Apple products, but just really dislike the flash memory system with no expandable memory on Apple. It seems like a way to get more cash out of you when a majority of other tablets have an expandable memory of up to 64 GB. I'm not really a fan of iOS either, don't like its lack of customization abilities.

Am not a an Apple or an Android fan but I just get devices to suit my needs. What is really important to me is battery life, LTE coverage (since I travel a lot and some places don't have wifi like in Vancouver) and at least 64 gb memory. I don't see myself using 128 gb memory since I don't need that much capacity as I could transfer all my contents to my Mac when its running out of space. I do prefer android when it comes to phones but tablets seem to be another story.

Am really leaning towards the ipad mini with Retina display with Cellular and 64 gb. Anybody wants to sway my decision in getting it?

..... sigh... you know.. I don't want to get into arguements with Android Loyalists... I have nothing against that platform, I seriously don't have a grudge...

that said i'm not going to bash it right now, feel free to call me fan boy, I have a ipad mini 2 16 gb, I love it to death. Before I sleep I 'm using it, check emails, look at the news, go to canucks.com and interact with the monkeys there, you won't regret it.

Give credit to some androids, it does have some very slick features, very crafty sh!t they got, but ipad min... you won't regret. Best investment you will make.

Student discount? May be able to save $50 or so, get someone you know to buy it.

Oh, I didn't know about that student discount. Thank you very much for informing me. Is it only $50 or is it more? Although $50 discounts on Apple products seem to be great already.

I really wanted to give Samsung Tab pro 8.4 a chance but the battery life, lack of LTE coverage and touchwiz along with Samsung's slow updates and sometimes discontinued update (since they make billions of tablets and phones every year) are really the reasons why am leaning towards Ipad mini 2. Aside from the fact that some apps aren't optimized for tablets when it comes to Android and the form factor that might not be suitable for webpage viewing (most of my time would be spent on that instead of watching movies). Still I prefer android over iOS when it comes to phones but I have to give it to apple when it comes to tablets and computers.

BTW, I also noticed Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 wifi version is only available in Canada while the Cellular version that only has 16 GB of internal (expandable with SD) is only available online through ebay or amazon.

Youve had to return Apple products "many times" and you still recommend them?

I own a Galaxy tab and a Old Acer A500. Never had a problem with glitches or reliability on either of them.

Why the 8.4" over the 10.1"? I dont see the point in the smaller size. Its not like its more portable or anything. Bigger screen is bigger screen.

I have a 10.1 Galaxy Tab, and I find it too big to hold with one hand - pretty much have to rest it on something for extended use. I bought my dad the 8", and it is perfect for use on the go.

Personally, I find Android easier to use. Transferring files and setting up programs is a cinch, and there are more customization options available. And cost is always an issue - just don't see the need to shell out more for what Apple has.

However, when running multiple programs and multimedia, I find the Galaxy Tab doesn't have enough RAM, and occasionally freezes up and requires reboot. But if you're going for an 8", what about the Galaxy Note? I have the Note phone, and it's fantastic. Screen and RAM capabilities are more on par with the iPad.

I have a 10.1 Galaxy Tab, and I find it too big to hold with one hand - pretty much have to rest it on something for extended use. I bought my dad the 8", and it is perfect for use on the go.

Personally, I find Android easier to use. Transferring files and setting up programs is a cinch, and there are more customization options available. And cost is always an issue - just don't see the need to shell out more for what Apple has.

However, when running multiple programs and multimedia, I find the Galaxy Tab doesn't have enough RAM, and occasionally freezes up and requires reboot. But if you're going for an 8", what about the Galaxy Note? I have the Note phone, and it's fantastic. Screen and RAM capabilities are more on par with the iPad.

The 8 inch Samsung Galaxy note tablet is good but the battery life is terrible and does occasionally lag due to touch wiz. It also lacks a lot of LTE bands and would be only useful with some service providers. I would've bought the note if it wasn't due to horrible battery life and if it had global LTE bands along with a better screen (since it only is marginally better than the original ipad mini screen that had bad resolution).

iPad.

I made up my mind and will get iPad. Now am just torn on deciding whether to spend $649 + tax to get the 32 gb iPad or spend $749 + tax and get the 64 gb. I have the 16 gb Nexus 4 and the space just isn't enough.

I made up my mind and will get iPad. Now am just torn on deciding whether to spend $649 + tax to get the 32 gb iPad or spend $749 + tax and get the 64 gb. I have the 16 gb Nexus 4 and the space just isn't enough.

I like how Apple (and others) charge so much more for extra memory. Going from 16gb to 32 gb costs them about $12 more and they charge $100. ridiculous mark up even by Apples pricing standards. Going from 32gb to 64gb costs them about $30 more and they charge the same $100. Still a ridiculous mark up but not as much profit. Its a fine example of how cost really plays no roll in pricing. Its just what people are willing to pay. But if your set on a iPad then the 32gb should be the "base" model as 16 gets eaten up too fast.

I have a old Acer A500 first generation android pad with only 8gb. But a $40. 64gb micro SD card took care of the problem. We all know why Apples iPads dont have a SD card slot.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived