The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

I like Trotz - wish him well in Washington - and wonder whether Nashville will manage to upgrade or whether change for the sake of change might come back to bite them.

At the same time, I also like Desjardins, Johnston, Blashill - there are a number of good candidates who have earned a step up to the NHL imo, not unlike Benning (and a few others who had a shot and probably deserve another). I'm pretty confident that between JB and TL they'll identify a great fit.

I would be surprised if Doug Houda doesn't get a good look!

I like Dejardins moustache. Stevens is probably the guy to give a second chance. AV was given a second chance by Vancouver to be a HC and that worked out pretty well. I'm disappointed though.... Trotz was by far the best candidate. Linden and Benning dropped the ball on that one.

Ugh, I hate not knowing whether someone was being serious or just facetious.

agreed, advance stats are only beneficial when comparing players on a level playing field, junior leagues are not level, therefore, looking at things like character, determination, dedication, potential and skill are all important, more so than some stats.

agreed, advance stats are only beneficial when comparing players on a level playing field, junior leagues are not level, therefore, looking at things like character, determination, dedication, potential and skill are all important, more so than some stats.

Plus the raw stats for the CHL are pretty poor. They don't track shots or minutes (TOI), which are what the majority of the most popular "fancy stats" tend to rely on. As a workaround, some people try to extrapolate possession and competition data from the goals data, using ratios based on the numbers we see in the NHL.

Of course, this introduces a further degree of inaccuracy (or "noise") to a statistic (Corsi/Fenwick/etc) that's already flawed at its best.

Still, even with the potential for error/inaccuracy, there are a rare few advanced stats available for the individual junior leagues that have good comparative value, like the QoC and QoT estimates that were recently released for the OHL, but you definitely can't apply those across all the other CHL leagues (like comparing numbers from the OHL to the WHL and QMJHL).

As far as comparing across leagues goes, the best we have is Gabriel Desjardins' NHLe (NHL equivalency for various leagues around the world), and those numbers have been around for years. They still tend to be fairly inaccurate when looking at individuals but no one has really come up anything better. NHLe does provide the best indication of how much a goal from the various "lesser" leagues (junior, AHL, college, Europe, etc) is worth in the NHL (allowing some predictive value for how players will perform when they reach the NHL). But like I said, these numbers tend to work best when you look at the averages for all players. Individually, they can only provide an indication of potential, and they rarely translate perfectly.

I like Dejardins moustache.

So what's "Dejardins moustache's" coaching stats like. Is he related to Willie Desjardin? How would the Canuck's veterans take to being coached by a moustache? And does his moustache have the experience to be an NHL coach, after observing from such a vantage point in the CHL?

Seriously though, would assistant coaching two years at the NHL level be enough after only being in the head coaching position of the Texas Stars for ONE single season?

Looks to me like another "Let's get Dallas Eakins" bet to me. Let's just hope that Desjardin learned from the backlash when Eakins shot off his mouth at Torts (regardless of how anyone feels about Torts, that was a blatant lack of respect comparative to what Torts has done in this league and what Eakins has done as a rookie NHL coach - Just shut up and coach!).

My money is on hoping that LA says that the Canucks can talk to Stevens and we get him.

So what's "Dejardins moustache's" coaching stats like. Is he related to Willie Desjardin? How would the Canuck's veterans take to being coached by a moustache? And does his moustache have the experience to be an NHL coach, after observing from such a vantage point in the CHL?

Seriously though, would assistant coaching two years at the NHL level be enough after only being in the head coaching position of the Texas Stars for ONE single season?

Looks to me like another "Let's get Dallas Eakins" bet to me. Let's just hope that Desjardin learned from the backlash when Eakins shot off his mouth at Torts (regardless of how anyone feels about Torts, that was a blatant lack of respect comparative to what Torts has done in this league and what Eakins has done as a rookie NHL coach - Just shut up and coach!).

My money is on hoping that LA says that the Canucks can talk to Stevens and we get him.

It's definately the only con.

Or could never being an NHL coach secretly be an advantage. I mean Babcock had to start sometime no?

TB's coach Jon Cooper only coached in the AHL for 2 years, and never coached with an NHL team so I thinks its more the fact that a good coach can win at any level no matter the experience they have. Desjardins seems similar to Trotz (but a more up-tempo style), in the way that he finds his players strengths and goes from there. A lot of his former and present players have come out to say how great of a coach he is. The only bad thing I've heard of him is that he doesn't like talking to media. He would also have Gulutzan, who he was an assistant coach for in Dallas, to lean on.

Eakins is a hot-head, he's too busy worrying about his hair and making sure he is eating all organic rather than coaching his team.

TB's coach Jon Cooper only coached in the AHL for 2 years, and never coached with an NHL team so I thinks its more the fact that a good coach can win at any level no matter the experience they have. Desjardins seems similar to Trotz (but a more up-tempo style), in the way that he finds his players strengths and goes from there. A lot of his former and present players have come out to say how great of a coach he is. The only bad thing I've heard of him is that he doesn't like talking to media. He would also have Gulutzan, who he was an assistant coach for in Dallas, to lean on.

Eakins is a hot-head, he's too busy worrying about his hair and making sure he is eating all organic rather than coaching his team.

In Vancouver, he can run, but he can't hide.

I know this coach might have close to a 0% chance to be the canucks head coach but I wanted to see what your thoughts would be if the canucks signed someone that hasnt been mentioned once and I am kinda throwing this name out there from out of no where but what how would you feel about Keith McCambridge HC of the St. Johns IceCaps the Jets AHL team as HC?

I live in St.Johns and have watched him from the begining of the team and I must say that what he does for that team is downright remarkable. 2 CF in 3 season so far and a good chance of making the finals this year with a much weaker roster then their oppenents years after year thanks to Jets call ups due to injuries and weak drafting (mostly because of the Thrashers).

Maybe McCambridges age might keep him from getting a NHL HC anytime soon because he is a really young HC but he does have some ties to the canucks organization and some players because he was a asistant coach with the Manitoba Moose for a few seasons. McCambridge also had some successfull years coaching Alaska in the ECHL as well. Just some food for thought because I dont believe he is on the canucks HC search radar at all but he is deserving to be

I can see WD being the guy (nickname of WD40?)

He may only have 1-2 seasons as an NHL assistant coach but the fact that a couple of the Dallas players came out and said he was a great coach to play for says something about the guy.

Curious if he was named the coach if JB would have any interest in bringing in Fiddler as a 4th line centre (of course this assuming he makes some trades). I think the hilarity would ensue after he did the bieksa caveman face that just got AV laughing like no tomorrow

It's definately the only con.

Or could never being an NHL coach secretly be an advantage. I mean Babcock had to start sometime no?

Well, considering Babcock's meteoric rise with Anaheim (going to the Finals with them in 2003 in 7 games losing only to the NJ Devils); let's hope that if we take a chance on Desjardin with the head coaching position, that we have the next Mike Babcock who can motivate his players; teach the young players the ropes and singlehandedly get them to where the Canucks have a shot at the Cup (the playoffs). But that's a hell of a load to put on a coach who hasn't had much NHL experience in an assistant coach position let alone as a head coach.

Anaheim rolled the dice on Babcock considering his lack of NHL experience and Detroit reaped the benefits. Call it a lucky break.

We, on the other hand, may not be so lucky.

Archived