The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

WASH: is a disaster. The last 3 coaches could not deal with Ovy. He is a coach killer!

Florida: The problem there is money. Not enough of it. Trotz has seen that movie already!

Vancouver: Spend to the CAP every year. New GM which would indicate a honeymoon period where real

changes could be made if that is what it takes.

No doubt that Van is the plum job.

floridas owners have given the green light to spend to the cap actually. Starting this year.

if I was trotz id personally go to Florida, look at the youth and potential.

Report out there is Trotz will make his decision within the next 48 hour. Don't know if the report is true or not but if it is, here's to hoping TL and JB are in. They said today they'd be doing coaching interviews next week so a bit of a concern..

Report out there is Trotz will make his decision within the next 48 hour. Don't know if the report is true or not but if it is, here's to hoping TL and JB are in. They said today they'd be doing coaching interviews next week so a bit of a concern..

I did a little digging on the source of the report. Kristopher Martel is a Preds blogger, but doesn't appear to have any official ties to the Predators organization. In his twitter feed, he says "9 out of 10 anonymous sources agree" (my italics).

Make your own judgements on how much stock to put into that.

Weird, not sure why he wouldn't wait and have more options.

Aye, it could at that!

He's interviewed with the Caps, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's interviewed with others as well. Lots of shakeups going on this offseason.

Yesterday someone with a keen eye (or general stalker personality) mentioned that the Aquilini's private jet was shown on those flight tracking websites as picking up someone in Kelowna, where Trotz apparently lives. So he may have already been interviewed.

I would rather have Desjardins than Trotz. Barry Trotz's experience is mostly running a defensive low scoring team. You can say that he didn't have the players to play an offensive game but it doesn't hide the fact that he hasn't had much experience running a high scoring team. Desjardins has suceeded at every level and does have that experience. To me, Barry Trotz is one demensional.

Linden has stated that he wants to play a puck possession style....that doesn't seem like Barry Trotz style to me.

"Trotz's pedigree"

What pedigree? Zero conference finals in 15 years? League average coaching would get you there at least twice. The Canucks had a 17 year drought from '94 to 2010, but that cost Crow his job. Do we want a 15 year finals drought here?

So from the presser today:

"We want a coach that is firm, but fair, that has good communication skills so he can relate to the players. We want a coach that is going to play a structured style of game when we don't have the puck, but give the players the freedom to skate and create when they do have the puck."

"The new coach does not necessarily need head-coaching experience at the NHL level, but must have a winning resume".

It's that last part that's interesting for me.

Does "winning resume" mean that the candidate has to have won something like a division, conference, league title, gold medal...?

I'm trying to figure out if/how Trotz would fit into this requirement given the Preds have never won a thing.

Would simply surviving as a head coach in this league for 15 years be considered a winning resume?

Mind you, Trotz did win a Calder Cup in 1994 so I guess he does make the cut that way.

Willie Desjardins does fit that profile....my money is on him being the next Vancouver coach.

Willie Desjardins does fit that profile....my money is on him being the next Vancouver coach.

I don't see them hiring a rookie NHL coach at this point. Fresh face, but, the pressure is on, and I think most of this fanbase is far to impatient to see a rebuild taking 5 years.

It's certainly looking like they're going in that direction.

When Jim Benning yesterday talked about having 4 lines and making sure everyone, including the 3rd and 4th lines, felt their role was important to the team, it reminded me of this article written about Desjardins last year when he was being considered for the Stars head coaching position which Ruff ended up getting.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06/coaching-search-is-willie-desjardins-ready-for-the-move-up-to-head-coach-in-the-nhl.html/

Many of the Texas Stars players who came up to the Stars gushed about Desjardins.

“I just think he’s a tremendous coach,” said winger Alex Chiasson. “He helped me so much, and I think he helped a lot of the players there.”

While goalie Richard Bachman added: “What was great when I was there was that it always seemed like it was a team.

They had different players coming in and out, and all sorts of different lineups, but it was a team. I think the coaches did a great job of making everyone feel like they were important, like the team was important.”

It was that last bit about making everyone feel important that Benning's comments yesterday reminded me of this article.

Of course the article also touches on the potential risks with a Desjardins hiring as well.

Obviously Desjardins' strength seems to be working with younger players, and given the Canucks are still very much a veteran team, I would be concerned about buy-in from players. Then again, if the plan is to get younger quickly, maybe he can be the right guy. Remember, Gulutzan is still here, and maybe the plan all along has been to have them both behind the bench.

Still, it's hard not to think that Trotz would be the safer choice right now.

Will an older core of players be receptive to a coach who has no NHL experience. This team is looking for an experienced, good communicating, fair and square person to work with them. IMHO those character traits are better found in a more seasoned NHL coach.

However, Desjardins has had success during his coaching career so I will defer further opinion in that regard to the knowledge and experience of those who will hire him. I only want a coach who can work in harmony, instill confidence, enthusiasm and work in an atmosphere of mutual respect with his players. Leaders are very much graded on their credibility and experience by those who must follow them.

Will an older core of players be receptive to a rookie coach. This team is looking for an experienced, good communicating, fair and square person to work with them. IMHO those character traits are better found in an older coach.

Benning already knows who he wants for a coach, when asked if the coach would have to have NHL experience, he said no. Fairly easy to decipher from there!

Benning already knows who he wants for a coach, when asked if the coach would have to have NHL experience, he said no. Fairly easy to decipher from there!

Then is it your opinion he will go with a rookie coach or a seasoned coach if it is easy to decipher.

By saying no to whether or not he would hire an experienced coach he is leaving every option open. Your opinion is just a guess like mine as is your non committal post

Archived