The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was most difficult about last season?

Canuckler87

When it became apparent that we were going to be way outside the playoffs, we didn't "tank". It was a great opportunity to play with the lineup and give younger guys experience/exposure, and in so doing probably get a better pick at the draft. We persisted with the idea that there weren't fundamental flaws in what the team was doing, and were embarrassingly bad without maximising the potential reward.

Well I was pretty hyped up about torts coming to van and watching some exciting hockey instead of dump and chase, so the first three months I was happy than came second half of the season and I was completely lost. Torts eff'd this season up I realized change of coach was not our problem I will not believe it's our core because of one bad twig " Kesler " that's the worst for me having the guy I cheered for the most want out after a dump truck season.

Oh well players come and go. I am very hpy with the return of Linden and I can't wait to watch the new era of Canucks in the near future. I love my team Go Canucks Go......

Hearing Gillis call for a re-set, and then doing absolutely nothing to bring it about. Then all season long it's "I really like this team when we're healthy. I believe in this group".

If the General doesn't understand what's going on, how do the soldiers have a chance?

That was the highlight for me. The only sad part was the owners needed the fans to point out what needed to be done immediately after he decided trading Schneider was remotely close to acceptable.

It was the highlight for me too. The civil unrest was warranted.

The confusion as to how it all fell apart so fast... It still doesn't make a lot of sense when i look back.

This. A hundred times this. At one point near the middle of last season, the Canucks had the longest active winning streak and the best record in the past ten games. They were closer to top of the league than they were to fourth place in their division.

Then it fell apart. I still don't understand what happened.

December was amazing we had good pp, pk, 5v5 play. Everything was trending up then January came, then torts against calvary and finally the NYI gamewas the point in the season that I knew we wouldn't make the playoffs. Torts was lazy and the players give up on his coaching and relied purely on their own individual talent. Really disappointed and happy now that MG didn't fix anything. Although now with benning we know no more stupid trades. No more waiting for the perfect deal. Everything after Christmas seem to fall apart and I'm hoping that doesn't happen again.

The disappointment for me was the cap dropping (without notice) handcuffed MG from making any trades to get better. It also brought out the non stop whiners about Cory being traded.

Tortorella using the stars to block shots on the PK was dumb. We had trouble scoring and yet he risked the guys who could score to injury (which happened). Torts just never adapted to the rigors of the westcoast with all the travel and basically ran the players into the ground.

As far as the Winter Classic, Lack was playing great at the time and outplaying Loungo so I have no problem with Lou sitting that one out. Unfortunately, I have to still listen to his interviews using that as an excuse for wanting out of Vancouver.

The team not being able to get the PP going and the inability to score was a major disappointment.....plus all the games that we had to expect a come from behind. Too many guys coasting through the game and then only turning it up when the goalie is pulled in the last minute....embarassing.

The good thing is that we picked up some talent in the draft so hopefully things will turn around this coming season.

December was amazing we had good pp, pk, 5v5 play. Everything was trending up then January came, then torts against calvary and finally the NYI gamewas the point in the season that I knew we wouldn't make the playoffs. Torts was lazy and the players give up on his coaching and relied purely on their own individual talent. Really disappointed and happy now that MG didn't fix anything. Although now with benning we know no more stupid trades. No more waiting for the perfect deal. Everything after Christmas seem to fall apart and I'm hoping that doesn't happen again.

In all fairness to MG, the cap dropped and he didn't have any cap to make trades nor did he have players who were willing to get traded. I didn't see anyone other than Lou jumping up and down shouting....I'll wave the NTC.

In all fairness to MG, the cap dropped and he didn't have any cap to make trades nor did he have players who were willing to get traded. I didn't see anyone other than Lou jumping up and down shouting....I'll wave the NTC.

Gillis never asked anyone to waive their NTC. Benning made the ballsy move and got Garrison to waive which freed up cap space and gave us Linden Vey. It was MG who gave out NTC's like candy which I think was a huge mistake.

When I knew we weren't going to make the playoffs, which was around the time of the Islanders loss I think, then I was hoping we would lose in order to get a higher draft pick. Cheering against the team near the end of the season was also pretty difficult.

Gillis never asked anyone to waive their NTC. Benning made the ballsy move and got Garrison to waive which freed up cap space and gave us Linden Vey. It was MG who gave out NTC's like candy which I think was a huge mistake.

Apples and oranges. There really was no point of asking a player to waive if you don't have the cap room to upgrade. Pretty hard to move underperformers when you are up against the cap. Managers would just lowball whatever you want because MG had no leverage. With a rising cap, Benning can spin off a player because he has additional cap to spend on top of what was freed up by moving Kesler, Loungo previously, Garrison etc. He knows he can bid on talent....MG didn't have that luxury. MG also had to work in a hockey environment where expectations were high whereas now they are not. Right now, everything Benning does is a positive because we are starting rock bottom by this teams standards. I also think Linden and Benning have been given much more power to work without asking the owners permission.

Archived