The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

favorite apps?

FramingDragon

I'm bored of my phone at the moment and there are too many tech sites with app reviews for me to trust them all. Looking to download some new pointless crap so have at it and tell me what your 5 favorites are and WHY.

ps: calling a moratorium on Snapchat, Viber, Whatsapp and Facebook

I have a Galaxy S3 and mine are

1. Apex launcher - I love being able to completely change the Android user interface every few weeks if I wanted to. I get more mileage out of this app than anything

2. G Whale - great for downloading mp3's, I tried the more popular apps but they weren't as accurate with the search engines to find songs

3. Nike Training Club - invaluable and simple, probably took out 90% of the hassle of working out. Apparently Adidas has a similar app but I didn't bother to try it yet.

4. Cymera - one of the few third party apps that do not flip the image of the front camera when you use it (anyone else have this problem?) I feel like I'm not getting the highest quality images but it's better than unappealing selfies amirite

5. BaconReader: hands down the best app to get lost in Reddit for. Really easy to post, edit, switch accounts, etc. Better than the website

Honorable mention: Plague Inc. Onavo data tracker widget

I've been using the miCoach app from Adidas and it works well. I like because it has a more European theme for sports (rugby was included particularly) and I've since picked up the miCoach Speed Cell that I've used for rugby and now soccer. Great for just doing walks and bike riding too.

The Google keyboard app needs a mention. It's free (unlike Swype) and better than the other keyboards available in it's simplicity. I've tried multiple native apps as well as SwiftKey more recently, and it has them beat easily.

I also use Aldiko, an ebook program for reading epub files and the like. Pretty intuitive for me compared to other apps and works well.

Finally, ES File Explorer. I've used a few different versions and this is the one I've continued to use on my last two phones. It lets you browse local files but also manage networked files (LAN, FTP, Bluetooth, etc.) all in one spot.

Everything else is standard apps or games.

I've been using the miCoach app from Adidas and it works well. I like because it has a more European theme for sports (rugby was included particularly) and I've since picked up the miCoach Speed Cell that I've used for rugby and now soccer. Great for just doing walks and bike riding too.

Does it have workout programs like the Nike app to stick to?

Tinder :bigblush:

I'd love that app if it weren't for the fact that it was synced to your Facebook friends...makes everything a little awkward and difficult.

Mr. Number (block hidden/private numbers or specific numbers, auto-hang-up/auto-voicemail on spammers/telemarketers)

S-Planner (sync calendars)

S-Note (app for making notes via Note /S-Pen)

Twitter

Out of Milk (shopping lists)

TubeMate Pro (download Youtube videos)

Widgetsoid (useful widgets to better manage battery and data)

Flixster/Cineplex (movies..)

ES File Explorer (transfer files over network, quick way to watch a movie from NAS drive over phone)

Sygic (online/offline GPS maps)

Allshare/Link (can watch video I took on phone on someone's TV without hooking anything up)

AHS (Alberta Health Services, for checking wait times)

Titanium Backup (root -- for freezing/deleting unnecessary bloat apps)

Those be ma favourites.

Edited to explain.

games:

flick soccer

plants vs zombies 1/2

reading/listening:

slate.com

salon.com

pitchfork

this american life

BBC

for running i used to use couch to 5k, but i've had a lot of issues with it lately, and have no idea what's up with that app. used to be good though. just got that zombies, run! one. haven't really tried it out yet tho

Archived