The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Phi plus others

To Phi Sestito & Kassian ( if hand is ok)

To Van Del Zotto & 5th rd 2015

To NJ Matthias,Cerdholm & 2nd rd 2017

To Van Jagr, 3rd rd 2015 & 5th rd 2016

To Wpg Hansen,Sbisa & Weber

To Van Ladd,Pardy & 5th rd 2016

We bring some Stanley Cup Winners In Jagr & Ladd. Del Zotto some to replace Hamhuis, In Pardy we add some size to our back end @ 6'4 & also is cheaper

Sedin/Sedin/Jagr

Higgins/Bonino/Vrbata

Ladd/Horvat/Burrows

Vey/Richardson/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Del Zotto/Bieksa

Pardy/Corrado

Stanton

Miller

Lack

When Hamhuis comes back

Edler/Tanev

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Delzotto/Corrado

Stanton,Pardy

Trade 1, why would Phi do that, they waived Sestito to begin with and MDZ could have been a free pick up for us, they also have issues on their blue line and won't be inclined to dump a blue liner. As well Kassian has more value I would think to Phi as he's their prototypical player

Trade 2, Jagr is a near ppg player and basically the economic engine of the Devils right now. They are not giving him away for scraps which is what you're offering. as such Matthias and Cederholm have more value to us than they do to the Devils

Trade 3, Stop for a second. Would we accept scraps for Henrik and Bieksa? Which is the equivalent if what you're offering the Jets for their captain and one of their better D men. That trade does not go down under any circumstances just because Ladd is roughly worth what you've offered as a stand alone. Captains don't get traded for cheap in any league

Appreciate the idea but that is to much subtraction without enough quality addition even if all the deals were accepted

Del Zotto some to replace Hamhuis

No thanks to the first, Kassian already has more value; the second won't roll with Jersey, Jagr can easily get more than that, and the Jets won't trade their captain for our depth guys. As good as that trio have been, they probably don't see them as anymore than depth.

About that bold part,

Just because they're both categorized as defensemen doesn't mean they do the same job nearly as well! Even though he's doing better of late it's still not the time to sell a leader and veteran who plays an important role in the top 4 D for an unproven entity whose performance we are uncertain about.

We bring some Stanley Cup Winners In Jagr & Ladd. Del Zotto some to replace Hamhuis, In Pardy we add some size to our back end @ 6'4 & also is cheaper

Sedin/Sedin/Jagr

Higgins/Bonino/Vrbata

Ladd/Horvat/Burrows

Vey/Richardson/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Del Zotto/Bieksa

Pardy/Corrado

Stanton

Miller

Lack

When Hamhuis comes back

Edler/Tanev

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Delzotto/Corrado

Stanton,Pardy

A proposal at best.

Sedin/Sedin/Jagr

Higgins/Bonino/Vrbata

Ladd/Horvat/Burrows

Vey/Richardson/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Del Zotto/Bieksa

Pardy/Corrado

Stanton

Miller

Lack

When Hamhuis comes back

Edler/Tanev

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Delzotto/Corrado

Stanton,Pardy

I found these proposals intriguing. Caution-this may make heavy reading. Most won't want to wade through it.

1. Phi trade-Until seeing your proposal I had missed that del Zotto appears to be contributing this year much better than in the past few years. If asked in the preseason I'd have thought his trade value next to nil and wouldn't have considered moving Kassian for him without considerable in addition coming back.

I don't know enough about his improved play, though, to really be able to evaluate.

2. NJ and Jagr-This is a situation where I think Jagr's value to his current team, NJ, is more than it would be to the Canucks, who would be getting what is essentially a rental player. I think Jagr's value to the Canucks is low, as you've indicated by what you have Vancouver giving up for him, but agree with others that NJ wouldn't consider it.

3. This is really an interesting proposal, but I think Winnipeg would, and Vancouver should, turn it down.

Sbisa, Hansen and Weber have all been playing well this year for Canucks, probably better than most people anticipated. In fact, perhaps surprisingly, I think in current playing contributions in this early season your proposal gives approximate value for approximate value, with the three Canucks possibly contiributing slightly more than the two Jets (no doubt the reason for the low pick you have coming back from the Jets.)

The problems as I see them are:

-from a Winnipeg perspective they are giving up proven good play in Ladd and a contributor in Pardy. The contribution of Ladd and Pardy last year was imo quite a bit more than the sum of the contributions of Hansen, Sbisa and Weber. (fwiw, and I'm not sure how much that is or isn't, hockey-reference.com assigned the sum of Pardy and Ladd point shares of 7.9, compared with Weber/Sbisa/Hansen at 4.3. I don't know how accurate those are but in this case suggest the difference is a fair reflection of how much more valuable Ladd and Pardy were in 2013-14.

From a Winnipeg perspective they'd be giving up two good, proven players for what last year were 2 guys that to them are completely unproven (Sbisa and Weber) and one guy who had been an effective player but showed deterioration last year. This year the players are doing better but the sample size is quite small so I wouldn't expect the Jets to consider them all that much more than they would have last year for trade purposes.

Giving up a proven good player and another player for three guys who two months ago would have been viewed as marginal wouldn't seem to make sense to Winnipeg. (In fact I think they should jump at this deal, but I also think they wouldn't.)

-Vancouver perspective-The three Vancouver players are playing effectively, apparently coming into their own this year. Sbisa, previously worth very little, is showing signs of being what JB presumably thought when he traded for him, Hansen is playing very well (despite all the Hansen haters on CDC who want to trade him) and on a solid line with Horvat and Dorsett, the three complementing each other well. Weber has also played well-arguably better than Sbisa overall though Sbisa started weak and has been improving. Between the three of them they've probably contributed about as much as Pardy and Ladd have this year for Winnipeg-and they're younger. Hansen is 28 with speed, Sbisa still 24 and Weber 26, compared with Pardy (30 YO) and Ladd (29 in a couple of weeks.) I don't think Pardy would be an upgrade on what Vancouver already has-presumably you've included him to balance numbers and cap hit (though his cap hit is low.)

Pardy could also be a rental, eligible to be an UFA at the end of the season. While he would be only for depth this year and Canucks may not want him next year, it means the long-term usefulness of him could be very low.

Trading players who are apparently making successful comebacks or just coming into their own for older players who inevitably have reached their peak and demonstrated it over a course of time seems like a method guaranteed to give more long-term value than one receives (unless one is of the opinion that the improved play of the players you're giving up is unsustainable.)

So, although I don't disagree about the current playing value of the players changing hands in this proposal and in some ways I think it quite ingenious, I don't think Wpg would go for it and am of the view Vancouver should not go for it.

Essentially, I think the difference between the OP and me is mostly that he is proposing for the present and I am placing a higher value on the long-term help that the players can make.

t

Archived