The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van - Bos ( Proposal )

Wiznac

To Van : Loui Eriksson

To Bos : Zack Kassian

Why for boston ? Boston is looking to get more skill and size on the right wing and Zach fits the bill, at 23 their is a chance he could still develop into a good top 6 winger and Lucic would be a good mentor

Why for us ? At 29 Eriksson is still young enough to expect a bounce back in a new system. He has been a good player in the past and has just not clicked in Boston, adding him gives us multipe new looks for lines. Such as Sedins and Eriksson for 5vs5 or power play or add him to the second line with Burrows and Bonino. at least this way we have a player we know can succeed and not one we are waiting to see if he will.

Value = i know i will get flamed for suggesting a straight up trade but given his lack of success there and the age and potential of Kassian i think it might work.

kass is worth more. younger, cheaper, huger, etc.

i love eriksson, i think he'll thrive with bonino or sedins

I'm a pretty big fan of Kassian, that being said what do you think Kassian is worth?

Imo Kassian is worth more to us then any other team. In fact I would think his value is pretty low in the Nhl right now.

Kassian is massively overrated in terms of trade value on this board and is worth a 2nd round pick + a prospect at best. I don't know how people believe Kassian is worth Loui Eriksson 1 for 1. We are adding to that offer for sure to get a player like that.

29 years old with a long history of concusions, Loui is overated here he is not the guy he was 3-4 years ago.

Why for boston ? Boston is looking to get more skill and size on the right wing and Zach fits the bill, at 23 their is a chance he could still develop into a good top 6 winger and Lucic would be a good mentor

Why for us ? At 29 Eriksson is still young enough to expect a bounce back in a new system. He has been a good player in the past and has just not clicked in Boston, adding him gives us multipe new looks for lines. Such as Sedins and Eriksson for 5vs5 or power play or add him to the second line with Burrows and Bonino. at least this way we have a player we know can succeed and not one we are waiting to see if he will.

Value = i know i will get flamed for suggesting a straight up trade but given his lack of success there and the age and potential of Kassian i think it might work.

Or he doesn't bounce back and becomes the next erat and canucks basically give away Kassian

It never works out to trade an up and coming player with high potential for a aging vet that you hope is going to bounce back.

Erat - Forsberg

Eriksson - Segin

Two trades in the last year that come to mind

If Kassian goes only person coming back is another young player that has similar potential.

Before we go out and acquire another 4+ million under producing player we should worry about cutting or own dead weight.

For those that believe the future is now, this is a great proposal. Eriksson today is a better player than Kassian today-and I say that being reasonably high on both of them and with the realization that the Canucks probably need toughness more than a former Byng candidate.

For a rebuilding team, which is what I see the Canucks being, it is completely counter-productive to trade a 24 year old useful player with upside for a 29 year old useful player with concussion issues, a cap hit of $4.25 million and whose best scoring days appear to be behind him. imo it would be a huge error for the Canucks to give up youth for short term help.

Could Eriksson bounce back, become the player he was and play longer than Kassian? Sure, stranger things have happened. The likelihood is small.

The Canucks have succeeded in being a competitive team this year. That's great, be happy for it and hope it continues-but imo that should not deter the Canucks from their goal of rebuilding for the future.

Big Pass on this one.

I don't see a deal for Eriksson without additional parts going in each direction. And if the Bruins wanted Kassian then he is going to cost a lot more than just Eriksson.

A part of the value which is being overlooked is that Boston also gains a huge amount of cap space in the deal as it stands ($2.5 million now/$.25 million next year). This is something for which the Canucks should be compensated.

Further, while Eriksson has been productive over his career, that's the thing: his age and his injury record. This is also something for which the Canucks should receive compensation.

There would have to be picks/prospects coming to Vancouver with Eriksson.

regards,

G.

Archived