The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Psychology of being a Canucks fan...

bigbadcanucks

Seeing how the point of the thread was to speak about the big difference in how I watch a game when the Canucks are playing and when they're not playing and asking folks for how they watch the game themselves, rather than what they think of how others watch the game, I'll only speak from my perspective.

When I watch the Canucks play, I watch the game as a Canucks fan.

I like to think I'm a pretty sophisticated hockey fan having played for over 40 years, having coached for a short while in my 20s, and having the good fortune of watching close to a thousand live NHL games from 1976 to 2013. In spite of thinking this way about myself, I become intense and irrational when I watch the Canucks play. My wife says I breathe heavy and have the body movements like Willie Desjardins when we're watching the Canucks. She accuses me of brooding and being incapable of stringing two words together in a conversation during a Canucks game.

I expect the team to execute properly all of the time. When they do, I say that's what they're supposed to do, and when they don't, I mumble some nasties to myself, never giving credit to the play of the opposing team. This type of behavior is pretty screwed up, because after the game is over and I'm done with my brooding (win or lose, I brood), I think to myself, why am I unfair to the team that I love and am passionate about? Why is anything short of a 60 minute effort and a victory hard to accept? As I write this, I realize how irrational that is of me.

I also watch my fair share of out of market games. I watch these games as a hockey fan. I pull for teams based on how they affect the Canucks in the standings, but that's my only bias. I am able to appreciate most nuances of the game and the talent and effort and systems that are on display. My wife, who was introduced to hockey in 2010, really enjoys watching these games because I'm able to explain certain rules and why teams are doing certain things at certain times...she enjoys Canucks games as well, but for different reasons. Like I said in my OP, I saw the 'hawks comeback moreso as how hard the 'hawks pushed as opposed to whether or not the Jets collapsed. If the Jets were wearing Canucks jerseys, my reflex would have been to say the Jets collapsed and not give the 'hawks the credit for playing hard in the third.

So, in some ways I lament that I can't watch Canucks games with the same objectivity as I do watching out of market games. My only explanation for this is that I'm a complete loon for the 2 1/2 hours that the Canucks play and all rational thought goes out the window.

Kinda brought back some memories for me LOL

I couldn't get my wife to watch a hockey game with me if my life depended on it! Come playoffs though its a different story. In 2011 my kids and wife watched every single game with me :) It was awesome and your post brought back some fond memories of time together as a family.

I think after watching the Nucks in the 80s and again in the late 90s makes me even more unwilling to have to go through that again. perhaps its some of the reason for being upset after poor performances.

Especially after 2 SC Final game 7s

Kinda brought back some memories for me LOL

I couldn't get my wife to watch a hockey game with me if my life depended on it! Come playoffs though its a different story. In 2011 my kids and wife watched every single game with me :) It was awesome and your post brought back some fond memories of time together as a family.

I think after watching the Nucks in the 80s and again in the late 90s makes me even more unwilling to have to go through that again. perhaps its some of the reason for being upset after poor performances.

Especially after 2 SC Final game 7s

Glad the post/thread was able to bring back some happy memories for you there MadOgre.

Glad I can provide some levity for you, B&G. I tried to be objective watching tonight's game, but couldn't do it. I was screaming (albeit quietly and under my breath) at Willie for starting the Sedins line. Anyone but the Sedins-Burrows line I was saying to myself. Thank goodness there's more to the game than the first few minutes...and thank goodness for how well Eddie played and how well the team blocked shots in those first few minutes.

True that...plus I've got the emotional maturity of a six year old, so I'm already handicapped. And no, I doubt I'd have it any other way.

Too funny BBC, I laugh about it because I totally relate.

I agree that we need to have a much more energetic and determined start which the Sedin line isn't providing right now. I would like the Bonino line get the start, they deserve it after last night's game. Or even Horvat's line which no doubt would be fired up given the opportunity to start.

Lack has really held the fort lately, I believe he will be starting tonight as well.

Too funny BBC, I laugh about it because I totally relate.

I agree that we need to have a much more energetic and determined start which the Sedin line isn't providing right now. I would like the Bonino line get the start, they deserve it after last night's game. Or even Horvat's line which no doubt would be fired up given the opportunity to start.

Lack has really held the fort lately, I believe he will be starting tonight as well.

I see that the Sedins started the game tonight as well, but thankfully it was nothing more than an 11 second shift. Hope you enjoyed the game tonight...big win...just hope that the Canucks don't get complacent now that they have banked two wins on this road trip...they've got to prove to themselves that they are capable of closing out a stretch of games the right way to give them the confidence they need going into the playoffs.

I see that the Sedins started the game tonight as well, but thankfully it was nothing more than an 11 second shift. Hope you enjoyed the game tonight...big win...just hope that the Canucks don't get complacent now that they have banked two wins on this road trip...they've got to prove to themselves that they are capable of closing out a stretch of games the right way to give them the confidence they need going into the playoffs.

At least we have a real Coach this year.

Remember the 80's and 90's, not every Canucks game was on TV, it was harder to criticize every win/loss and we did not know how the players performed on an untelevised game and we had to rely on the scoring summary stats or the score box and the highlights at the Sports Page hosted by Don Tayler and sometimes the highlights were not available because there were no TV station broadcasted the game whether it's the Canucks or from other teams' regional TV station were not shown on that evening. We simply accept the result and moved on before we go bed. The scoring stats does not tell us the whole story on how the goals happened, whether it was fluke or a good shot that beat the goalie or some lucky shot or a bad goal, whether to blame the ref causing each loss. It does not do us the justice. The playoffs were magnified ten folded because it was on CBC for every playoff games and we still don't know whether it was a byproduct of their play carried over from the regular season for each players' tendency or the ref tendency. If I recall correctly, the half of the Canucks games went untelevised while another half were carried by CBC, TSN and a couple of local TV stations that are no longer exist today.

Ever since we have all Canucks on every games on TV, we saw all types of goals that were produced on the screen, it was easier to point the finger to notice every mistakes they made and made our mind up on a certain player and made our mind up no matter how well he played the game, or whether to blame the ref or not. Fans cynical attitude began when there was all 82 Canucks game on TV. This is my observation to things why this is happening. This is happening because we already know the full story on what happened whether it's the ref's fault or the team simply sucked on that night or X player did the dumbest play and it's typical of him doing this again. So when the playoff comes we already knew why we lost is because that player played too much and the coach played favorites and he did not help our team much and he should be benched. We whine and criticize every small details we did not do that in 90's, even in the playoffs loss with the exception of SCF game 7.

People said that the refs were better back then and we say that because we did not see what the ref did in every game as it went untelevised. We only saw the nationally televised game and the league usually send their best ref because they knew that not every ref is good. Now every games is on TV, we notice more and more about the ref and the league is getting exposed. When the league is getting exposed, they would instruct the ref not to call everything to make them look good to try cover up some problem but yet, it's getting more deeper problem than the league think. TV coverage is the main reason the league is having trouble with their Integrity and we as a fans are speculating whether the league is getting involved in some kind of agenda that they have been doing for decades. We are starting to think so. That is the physiological as a Canucks fan, all started with 82 reg games TV coverage for over a decade now.

This is absolutely untrue. We started selling out in November of 2002 and continued until October 17th 2014. We weren't a "winning" team that whole time period. Far from it in a few seasons, but we continuously showed up. It's not the fans that have abandoned the Canucks, it's that they've had two fairly recent teams to invest their time with instead. The Whitecaps and Seahawks have exploded in popularity (even UFC to a degree also) and have taken some of the thunder away from the Canucks. Everyone has a limited amount of time to be able to support and cheer on our local teams, Canucks have just never had competition before until now and that's why the sellouts stopped.

I agree with your sentiment in general as I and most of this board haven't had decades invested into the Canucks. I'm a couple years shy of a decade myself and there were times before 2000 when we truly, truly did suck the big one. That being said why is it not ok for us to be upset when our team doesn't even bother showing up? We're not paid to watch the Canucks, we show up to cheer them on, because we have a passion for them and want them to kick some ass and they're paid millions of dollars to put on a show. Damn right I'm going to be angry if I invest my time and money into a game and team when the people paid millions don't even bother to play. It's called "entertainment" for a reason, if it's not entertaining why should we watch?

This world continues to go faster and faster and many of us have other things we could use that time for to be more productive, but we take that time out to cheer on our team, so the least players can do is show up. If they lose by officiating, the other team ramping it into overdrive or a few bounces hey no harm done, they did their best, but if we lose by not playing and skating like our legs are concrete then yes I will have a problem and criticize the team and the players. All I ask is for them to put the effort in and then I'll be happy no matter the outcome. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Have to disagree with you on this. I've followed the Canucks a lot longer and I can definitely tell you the Canucks sellouts have been the result of an entertaining and winning team culture since 2002 and have nothing to do with competition by the Seahawks or Whitecaps. Since 2002, the Canucks have only missed the playoffs 3 times. Before that they missed it 4 times in 5 years in what was part of the dark days and goalie graveyard. Aside from 2001, no one went to those games but the diehard fans and the threat of the team folding was never higher.

Vancouver does have a fickle fanbase and you have pointed it out in your second paragraph. If the team isn't performing or "entertaining" then why not criticize, why bother going, the sellouts stop and it no longer becomes the in thing for Vancouverites to do. Which is fine, that's your and anyone who shares your philosophy's prerogative. But please don't criticize those fans who choose to continue to cheer them on through thick and thin because the Canucks would likely not be here if not for the homer fanbase. As much as I don't like Toronto, their fanbase still supports their team passionately even though they're frustrated (and show it) and the team continues to disappoint year after year. Vancouver wouldn't be able to boast the same.

I watch the Canucks game for entertainment too but I definitely don't expect them to win every game and know they'll be times they'll come out flat footed, lazy, complacent or exhausted. I'll still watch even if they are embarrassed. It's part of being a fan for me. Some of the best games I ever watched the Canucks play were losses. The best loss I went to was when Vancouver stormed back in the 3rd period from a 5-1 deficit against Toronto (March 6, 2000) with Naslund scoring the GTG on a breakaway. The atmosphere in GM place was electric. We lost when Mats Sundin scored in OT but I really didn't care, what a game!

All you have said is that you don't think we should be upset because of a lazy effort. ???

Nope, I didn't. I said it's your prerogative to be upset all you want. Just pointed out this fanbase is fickle (spoiled and entitled for a while now), disagreed with the sellout comment and was pointing out some fans understand the Canucks will never go 82-0-0 in a season and will have bad games along the way.

Psychology of being a canucks fan(on CDC): always blame the refs, if a player bodychecks one of our guys clean it's a dirty hit, if one of our guys crosschecks someone from behind into the boards it's clean, blame the refs, the sedins are better than crosby and malkin, blame the refs.

Trolling the boards yet again. I hope this guy gets a ban forever. Seriously stop trolling.

Well I guess Im a homer too, cause I watch every season as much as possible even if we don't make the playoffs and I have even taken time off work to watch the playoff games through the years. But Im not gonna just cheer and not say something when it comes to lazy efforts.

Badly built teams are one thing but missing the playoffs because of lazy efforts would be entirely different!

I think a lot of it has to do with current player salaries too. 15 years ago how many players made $1 million ? Not very many and if they did they were considered super stars! Now every plug in the NHL makes $1 million + I think that has a lot to do with not cheering for overpaid lazy efforts. I know it bothers me a great deal when I have to pay $180 a ticket to watch some 6 or 7 million dollar player float or put in a lazy effort.

So I take me and my wife for a night of hockey, costs me a little over $450 for the game and some grub. Now I don't know how much money you have but that's 1 months car payment for me bud! So the least these over paid cry babys can do is put in a solid effort, game in and game out. Might be different if we all got paid $5 million per year. Heck most people wont even make a third of that in their entire life so I think they can suck it up and play a real game of hockey for crying out loud !

Add to that the fact that there are cheaper alternatives for sports entertainment now and what you have are people watching other entertainment for cheaper when the Canucks are not worth $180. When the Canucks are worth $180 then the fans will return.

Not to mention that aside from Toronto pretty much every team in the league has cheaper tickets.

I used to watch hockey with fans of other teams back in the day. I was one of the few Canucks fans in my group of friends when we used to suck. Many of my friends chose teams that had won a CUP. I liked it better back then because more people had open minds and there was always someone ready to refute any bias. Now we reinforce each others bias. Probably because we mostly watch with other Canuck fans now.

Officiating has been an issue for decades. Back in the days of organs, the song"Three Blind Mice" was outlawed by the League. Now there are four blind mice but there is no song to let the refs know we don't like there decisions.

I used to watch hockey with fans of other teams back in the day. I was one of the few Canucks fans in my group of friends when we used to suck. Many of my friends chose teams that had won a CUP. I liked it better back then because more people had open minds and there was always someone ready to refute any bias. Now we reinforce each others bias. Probably because we mostly watch with other Canuck fans now.

Officiating has been an issue for decades. Back in the days of organs, the song"Three Blind Mice" was outlawed by the League. Now there are four blind mice but there is no song to let the refs know we don't like there decisions.

We need to bring back Three Blind Mice.

Psychology of being a canucks fan(on CDC): always blame the refs, if a player bodychecks one of our guys clean it's a dirty hit, if one of our guys crosschecks someone from behind into the boards it's clean, blame the refs, the sedins are better than crosby and malkin, blame the refs.

I think you have us confused with the fans on the Hawks board. :lol:

I'd like to give you a going-away present, but, you have to do your part.

Well I guess Im a homer too, cause I watch every season as much as possible even if we don't make the playoffs and I have even taken time off work to watch the playoff games through the years. But Im not gonna just cheer and not say something when it comes to lazy efforts.

Badly built teams are one thing but missing the playoffs because of lazy efforts would be entirely different!

I think a lot of it has to do with current player salaries too. 15 years ago how many players made $1 million ? Not very many and if they did they were considered super stars! Now every plug in the NHL makes $1 million + I think that has a lot to do with not cheering for overpaid lazy efforts. I know it bothers me a great deal when I have to pay $180 a ticket to watch some 6 or 7 million dollar player float or put in a lazy effort.

So I take me and my wife for a night of hockey, costs me a little over $450 for the game and some grub. Now I don't know how much money you have but that's 1 months car payment for me bud! So the least these over paid cry babys can do is put in a solid effort, game in and game out. Might be different if we all got paid $5 million per year. Heck most people wont even make a third of that in their entire life so I think they can suck it up and play a real game of hockey for crying out loud !

Add to that the fact that there are cheaper alternatives for sports entertainment now and what you have are people watching other entertainment for cheaper when the Canucks are not worth $180. When the Canucks are worth $180 then the fans will return.

Not to mention that aside from Toronto pretty much every team in the league has cheaper tickets.

Don't disagree with you. I get upset when I spend money to go to a game and they don't show up but I guess the difference between us is I also go in prepared knowing it's a possibility. Just like it's a possibility the the movie you go to, which isn't cheap nowadays, may suck the big one or how the weather may not cooperate when you spend the day trying to enjoy outdoor activities. It's a risk we all take.

The only issue I take is the notion of the team performing in order for the fans to stay or return. That's the very definition of bandwagon fans. When times are tough for the team, the fanbase bails. Once the team is competitive again, miraculously the jerseys come out with fresh tags or apparent creases and folds from where they've been resting in the dresser drawers for so long and talk like they've been fans all along. Canuck Nation is a joke. I have more respect for Flames, Oilers and Leafs fans, despite hating the teams, simply because they continue to show fan loyalty and are grateful to have a team even when times are tough.

Our team nearly folded in the late nineties because fan support wasn't there beside the diehards. I doubt this team could survive another rough time like that again or a full rebuild in this age especially with this fickle fanbase. Unfortunately that's the strict limitation with the Canucks, they must operate within the confines of a bandwagon fan system to be successful.

Not calling you a bandwagon fan specifically, you said you were a homer, I believe you. Just got caught up in my rant.

That was pretty disappointing response from Deb. TO dismiss fans as "spoiled" of "new to the game" because they are critical or take losses harder than maybe they should is just another labeling of those who disagree with her approach.I have been watching these guys since they came into the league. I watch every game I can and always hope for the best. I get really upset when they mail it in and yes, I over-react because I am emotionally invested. Emotions run high if you are passionate about your team, at least for many of us.Fans come in every shape and size with varying degrees of "investment" in this team. Lots of things can temper their response to the team, often things that are going on in their personal lives that have nothing to do with the team/game.There are very objective, rationale fans and then there are pathologically optimistic ones, like Apollo, with most falling in the middle somewhere.Reading the chat rooms of other franchises, the Nucks fan base isn't any different than any of the big market teams. There just tends to be more of us on CDC than most chat rooms.

You know Debs statement was correct right.

Remember 2011? Second round? That's when all of a sudden everyone's a nucks fan, and those were the same folks who were after we lost throwing their jerseys on the ground. Oh, wahhh, poor me. So I don't give a crap of people are offended, she is right. It's that way with the new fan/self entitled crowd. (not that all new fans are self entitled, but it seems to be more prevalent or at least visible with social media)

Good for you watching all of the games all the time, I try my best. I figure for such a seasoned fan though, you'd have a broader perspective, and not be such a wannabe hero to those aforementioned SE fans.

Archived