The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

James Holmes (Batman theatre shooter in Colorado) found guilty

Mr. Ambien

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/16/jury-reaches-verdict-in-colorado-theater-shooting-trial-james-holmes/

Jurors convicted Colorado theater shooter James Holmes on Thursday in the chilling 2012 attack on defenseless moviegoers at a midnight Batman premiere, rejecting defense arguments that the former graduate student was insane and driven to murder by delusions.

The 27-year-old Holmes, who had been working toward his Ph.D. in neuroscience, could get the death penalty for the massacre that left 12 people dead and dozens of others wounded.

Jurors took about 12 hours over a day and a half to review all 165 charges. The same panel must now decide whether Holmes should pay with his life.

Holmes stood impassively as Judge Carlos Samour Jr. read charge after charge, each one punctuated by the word "guilty."

The verdict came almost three years after Holmes, dressed head-to-toe in body armor, slipped through the emergency exit of the darkened theater in suburban Denver and replaced the Hollywood violence of the movie "The Dark Knight Rises" with real human carnage.

His victims included two active-duty servicemen, a single mom, a man celebrating his 27th birthday and an aspiring broadcaster who had survived a mall shooting in Toronto. Several died shielding friends or loved ones.

The trial offered a rare glimpse into the mind of a mass shooter, as most are killed by police, kill themselves or plead guilty.

Prosecutors argued that Holmes knew exactly what he was doing when he methodically gunned down strangers in the stadium-style theater, taking aim at those who fled. They painted him as a calculated killer who sought to assuage his failures in school and romance with a mass murder that he believed would increase his personal worth.

He snapped photos of himself with fiery orange hair and scrawled his plans for the massacre in a spiral notebook he sent his university psychiatrist just hours before the attack, all in a calculated effort to be remembered, prosecutors said.

The prosecution called more than 200 witnesses over two months, more than 70 of them survivors, including some who were missing limbs and using wheelchairs. They recalled the panic to escape the black-clad gunman.

The youngest to die was a 6-year-old girl whose mother also suffered a miscarriage and was paralyzed in the attack. Another woman who was nine months pregnant at the time described her agonizing decision to leave her wounded husband behind in the theater to save their baby. She later gave birth in the same hospital where he was in a coma. He can no longer walk and has trouble talking.

frack insanity, let the guy get the needle.

I remember looking for a cam torrent for this movie and was browsing the comments and one of them said

"good quality, decent sound/picture, but half way through somebody shots up the theater"

I spit out my drink, but ended up downloading that cam version anyways

Sometimes I feel that way about the human race...

Whenever some lone person does something evil people start going on about how humanity is evil. No, one evil person is evil, Humanity is fine. Now whether he was/is insane or not is another question.

I dont believe in the death penalty but why couldnt he have just killed himself at the end like it seems is the standard way to go. Woulda saved a lot of paperwork.

Whenever some lone person does something evil people start going on about how humanity is evil. No, one evil person is evil, Humanity is fine. Now whether he was/is insane or not is another question.

I dont believe in the death penalty but why couldnt he have just killed himself at the end like it seems is the standard way to go. Woulda saved a lot of paperwork.

Yeah, but think about how many instances like this pop up over a year. Then think of all the terrorist attacks. The suicide bombs. The raids. The thefts that go wrong. People killed by the death penalty. Drunk driving. Shanks. Think of all the Christians being killed in the middle east. Think of all the children gone in Nigeria. Think of all the racist or homophobic (or anti-racist or -homophobic) crime acts all across the world. Think of all the people who committed suicide because they were rejected. All the drug-related murders and crimes. And all the rest that I haven't even mentioned. Think about all that, happening every day, all across the world.

It's a dark, dark place we live in. Mankind is the top dog on this planet and we can't even manage ourselves...

Then I think of all the good that people do. Giving away to charities. Digging wells in Africa. Buying prostitutes and homeless people a meal. Laying their lives down for others. There's probably plenty more, but I need to go take a nap. Life is wonderful... too bad it can also be corrupted.

You forgot all the Muslims being slaughtered by other Muslims

Yeah, but think about how many instances like this pop up over a year. Then think of all the terrorist attacks. The suicide bombs. The raids. The thefts that go wrong. People killed by the death penalty. Drunk driving. Shanks. Think of all the Christians being killed in the middle east. Think of all the children gone in Nigeria. Think of all the racist or homophobic (or anti-racist or -homophobic) crime acts all across the world. Think of all the people who committed suicide because they were rejected. All the drug-related murders and crimes. And all the rest that I haven't even mentioned. Think about all that, happening every day, all across the world.

This guy should spend the rest of his life in solitairey confinement. Death penalty by injection is too easy.

No, because then the taxpayers would be paying for it. Just drop him off in the mountains of Afghanistan or the Sahara Desert or something imo

You know how much it costs to kill somebody in the US by death penalty? First off it takes 20 freakin years on death row with appeal after appeal and every possible delay tactic available, and there are many. I read a breakdown in the economist once and it was a ridiculous number like over $3 million US dollars per death sentence carried out. This is versus the $50K per year to house him in solitary confinement in a super max prison for the rest of his life. Either way its a big chunk of cash. The little s*** is worth none of it.

I bet there are more than a few family members of the deceased who would be willing to do it at no cost to the courts. A quick swing by Home Depot for some power tools and have at er.

This guy should spend the rest of his life in solitairey confinement. Death penalty by injection is too easy.

While Colorado do have the death penalty, it will be very unlikely he will be put to death since Colorado is considered a defacto non-capital punishment state. Only one person has been executed since 1967. Capital punishment was almost eliminated in 2009 but stopped in the state senate. Most of the Democratic politicians there are anti-capital punishment as is the governor.

No, because then the taxpayers would be paying for it. Just drop him off in the mountains of Afghanistan or the Sahara Desert or something imo

Funny thing I've been saying basically the same thing... it's alot more inhumane in my head but anyone who has taken someone else's life and has stacking evidence and a confession should be thrown into a situation in extreme weather with deadly animals and no way of escape.. like a prison on a deadly island... hunger game like but with no winners....

Never said it was a pretty solution but people who take other people's life's shouldn't have the privilege of their own

It's a dark, dark place we live in. Mankind is the top dog on this planet and we can't even manage ourselves...

Then I think of all the good that people do. Giving away to charities. Digging wells in Africa. Buying prostitutes and homeless people a meal. Laying their lives down for others. There's probably plenty more, but I need to go take a nap. Life is wonderful... too bad it can also be corrupted.

Think of all the transgender people recieving "courage" awards.

You know how much it costs to kill somebody in the US by death penalty? First off it takes 20 freakin years on death row with appeal after appeal and every possible delay tactic available, and there are many. I read a breakdown in the economist once and it was a ridiculous number like over $3 million US dollars per death sentence carried out. This is versus the $50K per year to house him in solitary confinement in a super max prison for the rest of his life. Either way its a big chunk of cash. The little s*** is worth none of it.

I bet there are more than a few family members of the deceased who would be willing to do it at no cost to the courts. A quick swing by Home Depot for some power tools and have at er.

I'd do it for free. This scum bag should be beat to death.

Funny thing I've been saying basically the same thing... it's alot more inhumane in my head but anyone who has taken someone else's life and has stacking evidence and a confession should be thrown into a situation in extreme weather with deadly animals and no way of escape.. like a prison on a deadly island... hunger game like but with no winners....

Never said it was a pretty solution but people who take other people's life's shouldn't have the privilege of their own

Honestly, we should just make a new Australia somewhere else. Prisoners could choose to either rehabilitate themselves or kill each other off. Either way, people would view it as a benefit to society.

Archived