The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat has been absolutely terrible this season

Nucks-4-Life

I'm a big Bo Horvat fan, but we can't ignore the fact that he has been terrible this season.

Even worse, he seems to bring down the play of his linemates.

Turnovers, bad passes, weak shots, etc.

The only good thing I'm seeing from him this year is his ability to drive strong to the net. I like that, and it can be another weapon in his arsenal.

This isn't a hate thread on Horvat, he is a potential future captain of this team, and our very own version of Toews. But he is slumping right now, and something needs to be changed...

I propose he is dropped down to 4th line C again when Sutter is healthy. That will give him a chance to find his offensive game against weaker players. He can still play the PK, but have McCann take his spot on the 2nd unit PP.

I agree with you that he has been really disappointing this season, but I think he had one of his better games last night and seems to be improving with each game.  Our real good coach has been using him like he's Patrice Bergeron which is part of why he has been struggling  

He's not ready to be a 2nd line center, and it's pretty mean of the coaching staff to expect him to replace Sutter. Realistically he should have come into the season as a 4th line center, but because this team is so thin down the middle now we had no choice but to play him at 3C and now 2C. Heaven forbid what would happen if we lost Henrik to an injury.

Hopefully Sutter returns soon and this doesn't destroy Horvat's confidence. He looks pretty bad on the PK too which is a major concern.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

LOL at "this isn't a hate thread on Horvat" when the other 95% of your post you're trying to explain why you hate Horvat.

One bad road trip is all it takes to send half of CDC over the edge.

I don't hate Horvat. In fact, I love him.

But that doesn't change the fact the he is playing very poorly right now, and adjustments needed to be made for the sake of the team and his confidence.

3 minutes ago, vantbl said:

I agree with you that he has been really disappointing this season, but I think he had one of his better games last night and seems to be improving with each game.  Our real good coach has been using him like he's Patrice Bergeron which is part of why he has been struggling  

Its a prime example of a player being stifled by a coach.

2 minutes ago, Nucks-4-Life said:

I don't hate Horvat. In fact, I love him.

But that doesn't change the fact the he is playing very poorly right now, and adjustments needed to be made for the sake of the team and his confidence.

Most every player on that team is playing poorly right now so to single out Horvat seems unfair.

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

He should be playing 3C this year with Sutter playing 2C but he had to get moved up to 2C because of the Sutter injury. When Sutter comes back I expect him to return to 3C with less pressure on him shutting down the opposition so he's able to regain his groove. Not worried about him

3C at the most. I would honestly like to see McCann as 3C and have Horvat as 4C so he can regain his confidence.

More worried about the defense. Honestly JB either has to make a move to significantly upgrade the defense, or rather make a move to sell some vets and accept the high draft pick this season. Being stuck in limbo won't serve the players or the fans. I'd prefer going for the high draft pick with no pressure at all being put on the young guys (Horvat and company) so that they develop properly, but that's just me.

Huh? Horvat should play on the 4th line so he can work on his offensive game? I do agree that Horvat's play has been disappointing. Perhaps we were spoiled a little last year when he made a splash. I've been watching him this year and he looks disinterested most of the time. There are odd occasions though, where he will take the puck all the way in and cut to the net, love that. Wish he would put in that kind of effort every shift, like Cracknell. That guy has hands of stone, but he gives it his all every shift. Same with Dorsett. I'm hoping this is just an off year so far for a lot of the players, including Horvat. He will be a very good player and a leader on this team one day.

What I would really like to see is Coach Willie arrange lines and keep them. He continues to tinker and move players all over, they're playing confused and unsure, making plenty of mistakes. Set your lines Willie and practice the hell out of them. Oh, and maybe Gulutzen needs to go, our special teams are hurtin'.

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

More worried about the defense. Honestly JB either has to make a move to significantly upgrade the defense, or rather make a move to sell some vets and accept the high draft pick this season. Being stuck in limbo won't serve the players or the fans. I'd prefer going for the high draft pick with no pressure at all being put on the young guys (Horvat and company) so that they develop properly, but that's just me.

I would do Vrbata for Hamonic. We have a plethora of wingers to replace him.

I never played beyond Midget league, so I'm not sure what it's like to be a new NHL player -- or even a Junior! -- but it looks to me like Horvat is suffering a bit of let down from last year's good finish and this year's good training camp/pre-season -- all those expectations.  I notice that he's killing penalties terribly -- no energy, no chase, no cornering, no taking chances.  The edge and the enthusiasm is not there.  Probably caused in part by his not succeeding at his stand-bys: face-offs and defensive play.  I think he needs to play with more joy -- in particular more physically. I agree with other commentators: try him on fourth line, let him relax and run around a bit.

Archived