The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

thats wht i said, which one of em is playing in utica?

Subban round 4.  So what if Carl Neill or Olson didn't work out? he had at best a 1/5 shot of even being called up, ever. It doesn't mean they weren't worth trying out in the later rounds or they were bad selections, you never know which guys will produce. 

Looking ahead it sure seems like Jim picked something special in Gaudette in the 5th round, was he just lucky?

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Subban round 4.  So what if Carl Neill or Olson didn't work out? he had at best a 1/5 shot of even being called up, ever. It doesn't mean they weren't worth trying out in the later rounds or they were bad selections, you never know which guys will produce. 

Looking ahead it sure seems like Jim picked something special in Gaudette in the 5th round, was he just lucky?

yea dude u just said it ur self "wht if carl neill n olson didnt work out"  how will we know until they are signed and get a chance to prove? theres always a wht if with any prospect

7 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

yea dude u just said it ur self "wht if carl neill n olson didnt work out"  how will we know until they are signed and get a chance to prove? theres always a wht if with any prospect

they're in their mid-20s.... they've had their chance. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

they're in their mid-20s.... they've had their chance. 

lol.... when?

when did olson had his chance? when did Neill get his shot? when did abols get a chance to show his skill set?  i dont remember when they had their chances? 

lol 21 is not mid twenties

2 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

lol.... when?

when did olson had his chance? when did Neill get his shot? when did abols get a chance to show his skill set?  i dont remember when they had their chances? 

lol 21 is not mid twenties

umm... when do you think? if they had any chance of playing their way onto the Canuck roster they'd have been re-signed. 

Nice to see him break the goose egg.

I generally check his game stats just out of curiosity. Not that I really consider him a “prospect” any more. Just because I’m there anyway checking up on Pettersson.

Figures it would be the rare game when I didn’t check on him that he scores his first point.

He also played over 10 minutes, which is always nice to see. Sometimes he’s under 3 minutes per game. But occasionally he sees more ice. And good for him to finally get something to show for one of the few times he’s played decent minutes.

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Rodrigo Abols with 1 goal, 1 assist today. He now has 2 points (1 goal, 1 assist) in 4 games.

Note: He is playing with Bofors IK now, in the HockeyAllsvenskan league (second-highest league in the Swedish ice hockey system).

Nice to see him scoring. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Looks like he got some good opportunities last game. Was listed at 2C but was the highest icetime forward for Karlskoga. Got both his points on the power play, so he’s getting good minutes and being played in offensive situations (which is pretty much the opposite of his SHL usage).

Abols’ success in HockeyAllsvenskan makes me wonder if he was misused in the SHL? Örebro aren’t a very good team to begin with, and they really struggle to score goals. Have to wonder if they could have gotten some offense out of Abols if they’d given him more opportunities than just 7 minutes a game as a 4C.

Obviously HockeyAllsvenskan is a step down. And BIK Karlskoga are the very worst team in that league, so it makes some sense that Abols can step into that weak of a lineup and play some decent minutes with offensive opportunities.

But the difference between Örebro and Karlskoga, especially in terms of their competition, isn’t so great as to suggest a marginal depth player at the SHL level is equivalent to a top line player in HockeyAllsvenskan.

So there’s a chance Abols’ SHL numbers (which were really poor) aren’t necessarily indicative of his value as a player, but more just a consequence of unfavourable usage on a weak, offensively challenged team.

Really happy to see him now having some success, especially on the scoresheet. If he keeps this up, you’d have to assume Örebro could’ve gotten more out of Abols if they’d just given him the chance. 

And should Abols continue to put up numbers and play big minutes for the remainder of the season, he might yet prove to have some upside as a prospect.

Abols and BIK Karlskoga playing Leksands IF today. Tough test for Karlskoga as Leksands are a top-3 team in HockeyAllsvenskan and BIK are at the very bottom of the league. Nonetheless, the early returns look good, with Karlskoga leading 12-4 on the shot clock, despite taking an early penalty.

Abols remains listed at 2C, although he’s been the leading forward in icetime recently, so 1C might be more accurate.

Is Abols not in the league now that Dahlen is just over a ppg in? So if everyone is so high on Dahlen, Rodrigo seems to be just fine if he plays in that same league. Maybe he can be in Utica in a year? 

Sid would know his contract status, I assume since he just went to Europe though that his deal likely goes till 2019 same as some of our other prospects over their

On 2018-01-20 at 3:31 PM, Yotes said:

Is Abols not in the league now that Dahlen is just over a ppg in? So if everyone is so high on Dahlen, Rodrigo seems to be just fine if he plays in that same league. Maybe he can be in Utica in a year? 

Sid would know his contract status, I assume since he just went to Europe though that his deal likely goes till 2019 same as some of our other prospects over their

Without digging into it, I think Ābols’ Swedish contract runs through 2018-19, while his NHL rights expire this summer (unless Riga loaned him way back when and somehow he was drafted under the European terms but I’m pretty sure he’s considered a North American pick).

Maybe I’ll check into that later...

But I’d assume he could get out of the contract if Vancouver (or Utica) wanted to sign him. 

I don’t really expect they will sign him though (at least not to an ELC and not this year).

And yup, Ābols is playing in the same league (HockeyAllsvenskan) as Dahlén, although (if you’ll excuse the pun) it’s pretty clear that as a prospect, he’s not in the same league as Dahlén.

Ābols is 22 and nearly a full 2 years older than Dahlén.

So he should be ahead of Dahlén (he’s not), if they were to be at all comparable (and they’re not).

Pretty different player types as well. 

Ābols was playing more of a checking role in the SHL and while he’s getting some good offensive looks in HockeyAllsvenskan, he still projects as more of a two-way player, should he ever hope to catch on in the AHL/NHL.

Ābols will need to continue to play 18-20 minutes a night and produce some points (hopefully close to a point per game) for him to really stay on the radar as an NHL prospect. He certainly has a chance with Karlskoga, since they’re really pretty bad this year, which makes it easier to catch on and play good minutes as a late roster addition. 

On the other hand, being on a poor team sometimes means you don’t get much help scoring and don’t get to bag all those soft secondary points. And to Ābols’ credit, I believe nearly every game he’s failed to score in so far has been a game Karlskoga has actually gotten shut out. And when he had scored, I’m pretty sure they’ve actually won those games (and those are the only wins they’ve gotten of late)

I haven’t really watched any full games of his yet (since the move), but looking at his numbers, and the overall team performance of Karlskoga, you get a sense that he’s been driving the bus offensively during his shifts, and hasn’t really had anyone to “take the wheel” when he can’t manage to manufacture goals on his own.

And in games like his last one, while he didn’t score, he did have 9 shot attempts and a pretty dominant night on faceoffs. So he didn’t produce, but neither did anyone else on his team. That’s going to happen fairly often on a poor team. But so long as he’s creating chances and holding his own defensively and on faceoffs, he doesn’t always have to score.

He just needs to score enough to keep the Canucks interested.

Ābols has a game starting in around half an hour (BIK Karlskoga vs Västerviks IK) and hopefully he gets back to scoring and helping his team win.

Archived