The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Whats the story with this guy? How does he go from the WHL to QMJHL? I have never seen that before. 

As gerber said, he was waived and nobody in the whl wanted him so he was free to go to any chl team. It's not the first time this has happened, I think Anthony Brodeur may have gone through the same thing IIRC. If it wasn't him, there was definitely another recognizable name that went through it in the last couple of years. A goalie, I believe.

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

As gerber said, he was waived and nobody in the whl wanted him so he was free to go to any chl team. It's not the first time this has happened, I think Anthony Brodeur may have gone through the same thing IIRC. If it wasn't him, there was definitely another recognizable name that went through it in the last couple of years. A goalie, I believe.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same goalie but I know one goalie was dropped from the Q and went on to play for the Spitfires.  I forget his name (it was french). any who it does happen from time to time. 

Edit. 

I'd wasn't French.  it was troy passingham lol

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same goalie but I know one goalie was dropped from the Q and went on to play for the Spitfires.  I forget his name (it was french). any who it does happen from time to time. 

Edit. 

I'd wasn't French.  it was troy passingham lol

Yeah this is killing me. I can't think of a name and I can't find it in Google. I'm just about certain it was a goalie that ultimately ended up in the QMJHL after being waived through either the OHL or WHL. Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME can help?

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah this is killing me. I can't think of a name and I can't find it in Google. I'm just about certain it was a goalie that ultimately ended up in the QMJHL after being waived through either the OHL or WHL. Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME can help?

Jacob De Serres?

3rd round pick by Philly and goalie for the Seattle Thunderbirds and Brandon Wheat Kings.  Went over to St. John in 2011 and ended up winning the Memorial Cup that year.

6 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Jacob De Serres?

3rd round pick by Philly and goalie for the Seattle Thunderbirds and Brandon Wheat Kings.  Went over to St. John in 2011 and ended up winning the Memorial Cup that year.

Don't think so. I think it was more recent than that, just in the last couple of years. 

5 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Goaltender Brendan Burke went through waivers last season. Calgary (WHL) waived him. Guelph (OHL) claimed him. And then he was traded to London (OHL).

That's the most recent one I can think of.

EDIT: Spokane (WHL) also waived goaltender Garret Hughson last season. And he was claimed by Windsor (OHL).

Can't think of a goalie that went through waivers in the WHL or OHL and ended up in the Q, however. But I'll have a look and see if I can find something.

EDIT2: Maybe Chase Marchand?

After starting the 2013-14 season in the Maritime Junior A League, Marchand was called up by Cape Breton in November. By January, he was the odd man out in a crowded crease and ended up in the OHL after the Mississauga Steelheads claimed him off waivers. In August 2014, Marchand was back in the QMJHL with the Charlottetown Islanders via a waiver claim. Weeks later, he was on the move again, claimed by the Victoriaville Tigres during the 19-year-old waiver draft. This season, he signed with the Huskies as a free agent when Jérémy Belisle left the team for personal reasons.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/qmjhl-playoffs-four-goaltenders-left-took-weird-roads-point-rouyn-noranda-huskies-moncton-wildcats-saint-john-sea-dogs-shawinigan-cataractes/

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Goaltender Brendan Burke went through waivers last season. Calgary (WHL) waived him. Guelph (OHL) claimed him. And then he was traded to London (OHL).

That's the most recent one I can think of.

EDIT: Spokane (WHL) also waived goaltender Garret Hughson last season. And he was claimed by Windsor (OHL).

Can't think of a goalie that went through waivers in the WHL or OHL and ended up in the Q, however. But I'll have a look and see if I can find something.

I think it was Burke that I was thinking of, not sure why I seemed to recall him ending up in the Q. Maybe somebody else did. Thanks once again Sid.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I think it was Burke that I was thinking of, not sure why I seemed to recall him ending up in the Q. Maybe somebody else did. Thanks once again Sid.

No problem. These little research tasks are fun for me (I know this makes me a total nerd ;)).

As for a goalie who ended up in the Q, check my last edit.

Seems to have found his niche now, wasn't thrilled about this pick at the draft, but he is slowly making me change my opinion. 

This team could really use a big bodied centre like Abols in the future.

And for those who are wondering, it was because Portland had too many import players on their roster which lead to Abols being waived.  I believe you can only have 2 import players at a time on roster

With Keegan Iverson being the only "overage" player on the roster, that leaves room for two more 20-yar-old players. One of the spots was left vacant when Rodrigo Abols was waived, due to the team having too many import players. What will head coach and general manager Mike Johnston do? Will he eventually fill this spot, or leave as it is to help develop the players currently on the team?  We will see what happens in the coming weeks of the season.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/portland-winterhawks/2016/11/22/13702670/portland-winterhawks-end-losing-streak-earn-moral-points-caleb-jones-cody-glass-hockey

On 2016-12-14 at 8:40 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seems to have found his niche now, wasn't thrilled about this pick at the draft, but he is slowly making me change my opinion. 

I'm of a similar mind. Wasn't a fan of the pick. But glad to see he's doing well and, like every Canucks property, I hope he pans out. I'd be thrilled if I have to eat humble pie in a couple years if he succeeds as a pro.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

Rodrigo is fast becoming the Apple of our eye.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm of a similar mind. Wasn't a fan of the pick. But glad to see he's doing well and, like every Canucks property, I hope he pans out. I'd be thrilled if I have to eat humble pie in a couple years if he succeeds as a pro.

I guess you could say Benning went bobbing for Abols with this pick?

Was impressed with him a couple years ago at summer camps and Penticton, but as an overager (who was waived) and producing at only a PPG as a 20 y.o. doesn't project well as a pro. Passed over so many guys that I would have rather taken in Soy, Ronning, Quenneville, Somppi.  

5 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

Was impressed with him a couple years ago at summer camps and Penticton, but as an overager (who was waived) and producing at only a PPG as a 20 y.o. doesn't project well as a pro. Passed over so many guys that I would have rather taken in Soy, Ronning, Quenneville, Somppi.  

He brings other aspects though, such as size, decent skating, and faceoff proficiency.

Archived