The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snooker

Salacious Crumb

Does anyone play snooker anymore and if so where?

Real Estate prices seem to have killed the pool halls. I know there is a 55+ league but I'm not old enough for that. Used to play a lot and thinking about playing again after 15 years away from the game.

Used to love watching Jimmy White and Stephen Hendry run centuries in completely different ways.

So yeah if you can recommend a place or wanna play a game - either would be welcomed.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Or how 'bout Cliff Thorburn with that first perfect game(after that famous fluke, to get started)? Such a tough table to play on, haven't for about 25 yrs myself. Never seen a snooker table in lil' Japan! :^)

Sniff Thorburn? Lol. I shouldn't pile on the guy - it was the '80's...

Snooker, the most fun you can have with your pants on.

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

try any legion bars , a couple of months ago i went to the army and navy 100 club on kingsway any commercial with my cousin and theres big tables there .freindly atmosphere.

Yeah I regret letting my Legion dues lapse. It's been 15 years so I don't think I can get a new one.

1 minute ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Yeah I regret letting my Legion dues lapse. It's been 15 years so I don't think I can get a new one.

when i met my cous at the 100 club nobody asked me anything, it seemed pretty casual wasn't asked anything by anybody.

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I gotta hunch.....that there are a few hustlers in this thread (but no fat people :P)

Bizarre SP33..last night I was looking at a few movie scenes on Utube..this was one of them. Man! Jackie Gleason & Paul Newman. HOW Sweet it is!!

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What's the difference between snooker/ billiards/ pool etc.?

Barroom tables are 4x8, wide pockets & big balls(ala ACDC). Snooker tables are monster 6x12's with TIGHT pockets & small balls(cherries, & the colours). It's a precision-sport, with an addictive-aspect of strategic planning.

30 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bizarre SP33..last night I was looking at a few movie scenes on Utube..this was one of them. Man! Jackie Gleason & Paul Newman. HOW Sweet it is!!

haha yea love the old Newman movies, beats watching these "new remakes" my goodness has film gone downhill! 

45 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Barroom tables are 4x8, wide pockets & big balls(ala ACDC). Snooker tables are monster 6x12's with TIGHT pockets & small balls(cherries, & the colours). It's a precision-sport, with an addictive-aspect of strategic planning.

No Pocket Biliards is often played on a 4'6" x 9' (9 Ball) table. Amazing game when played by 2 top end players.

6" x 12" Snooker tables like BCE Westbury have steel blocks behind the rubber under the felt. Very true bounce which is far superior to cheap tables.

I was able to play against a couple of Nationally ranked players back in the day, pretty humbling. I basically spotted colours while they ran centuries. Good times.

20 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Does anyone play snooker anymore and if so where?

Real Estate prices seem to have killed the pool halls. I know there is a 55+ league but I'm not old enough for that. Used to play a lot and thinking about playing again after 15 years away from the game.

Used to love watching Jimmy White and Stephen Hendry run centuries in completely different ways.

So yeah if you can recommend a place or wanna play a game - either would be welcomed.

Those names are a blast from the past. Who was the guy with the coke bottle, upside down glasses?

Archived