The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1901 Ride Through Vancouver and Victoria

SabreFan1

35 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's pretty cool. I like looking at old footage and comparing it to what it is now.

Here is a cool one too..a little later from 1949 ...the old BC Electric interurban    going to Vancouver and Marpole....you can see alot more buildings and landmarks...

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i remember the old trolley buses, almost everytime they turned a corner, the trolleys would come off and the driver had to stop and put them back on again. street cars and trams were a way of travelling too.

I remember them well....my dad told me that once a friend and him rode on the cowcatcher all the way to Chilliwack from Burnaby when a kid..lol

sounds a little dangerous. one memory i have is, my friend's dad had a 1926 rio car. that might have been the last year they made cars. they kept making trucks for few more years. noisy old car and vibrated like crazy too.

30 years ago, I worked offside at Expo at a warehouse. I was waiting for a bus after my shift. This old guy walked up to me. "See that, that is the Sun Tower, used to be one of the tallest buildings in the Commonwealth." He proceeded to give me a 5 minute history lesson of the neighbourhood I was in. When he was done, he said. "Just thought you'd like to know." And he walked away. 

It was a surreal, but cool experience. Thought that guy should have gotten a job at city archives, or the Vancouver Museum . 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i had to get my grandson to put this one on here..dumb old man isn't smart enough to do it.

Sure, a lot of us old(er) posters need a little help with computer tech; however when the power goes off I don't need help making a fire to heat my place.

I remember my younger brother being incredibly confused by the two faucet sink in my grandpa's house..." But how do you get warm water"?

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Sure, a lot of us old(er) posters need a little help with computer tech; however when the power goes off I don't need help making a fire to heat my place.

I remember my younger brother being incredibly confused by the two faucet sink in my grandpa's house..." But how do you get warm water"?

what ship is that? thought it looked like my old ship, hmcs fraser. 

42 minutes ago, trek said:

A bit more modern but this is one of my favorites of historical vancouver -

1986 Skytrain vs. 2013.

i've never been on the the sky train..that video would have been super if there was narration of what we were passing.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

30 years ago, I worked offside at Expo at a warehouse. I was waiting for a bus after my shift. This old guy walked up to me. "See that, that is the Sun Tower, used to be one of the tallest buildings in the Commonwealth." He proceeded to give me a 5 minute history lesson of the neighbourhood I was in. When he was done, he said. "Just thought you'd like to know." And he walked away. 

It was a surreal, but cool experience. Thought that guy should have gotten a job at city archives, or the Vancouver Museum . 

when i was travelling across canada to go to boot camp at cornwallis nova scotia, an old retired railroad man told me train stories. i could have listened to him all across canada. i wish i could have asked my mom a lot more things.

Archived