The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche sign F Ben Smith [1 year x $675k]

The Colorado Avalanche has added forward Ben Smith to its roster, agreeing to terms on a one-year contract for the 2016-17 season.

Smith, 28, has appeared in 197 career NHL games with Chicago, San Jose and Toronto, tallying 50 points (27g/23a). He has also dressed in 27 career playoff contests (7g/2a) and won a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2012-13. The Winston-Salem, North Carolina, native was Chicago’s fifth selection (sixth round, 169th overall) in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Smith split the 2015-16 season between the San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs organizations. He recorded six points (2g/4a) and a +3 plus/minus rating in 16 games with the Leafs after appearing in six games for the Sharks (0g/0a) earlier in the season. He also spent time with both teams’ American Hockey League affiliates, the San Jose Barracuda and Toronto Marlies.

Internationally, Smith won a bronze medal with the United States at the 2015 IIHF World Championship in the Czech Republic. Prior to turning pro, the 5-foot-11, 198-pound right winger played four seasons at Boston College, where he helped the Eagles win two NCAA championships (2008, 2010). He was the Frozen Four tournament MVP as a senior in 2010.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=891034

13 minutes ago, Crackers said:

The guy who broke Canucks fans hearts in game 6 against Chicago 2011. At least we won in the end. 

Imagine if Vancouver won the game and perhaps the team would have been better rested in Game 7 against the Bruins and perhaps even won.

Yeah I'm a jerk :P

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

The guy who broke Canucks fans hearts in game 6 against Chicago 2011. At least we won in the end. 

True, I kind of forgot about him but he played a pretty noticable series against the Canucks that year.

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

Yeah, I'll always remember him as the guy who scored two goals against the Canucks in that one playoff game, then disappeared.

10 hours ago, Crackers said:

9 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

True, I kind of forgot about him but he played a pretty noticable series against the Canucks that year.

That series was a joke. Had the refs not stepped in, it would have been over as a 4 game canucks Sweep. Oh well, at least they made it entertaining... And arguably  one of the most memorable canucks playoff series ever. 

Guess I shouldnt complain, I was entertained and it's just sports entertainment, so let's them fix some results and give me more free entertainment. 

Archived