The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Poll] Why Not Penalties That Carry Over in the Playoffs?

Crackers

Penalty Minutes in Playoffs  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DISCLAIMER: This is very much a hockey deprived me that's bored in late August. Read at the risk of having 2 minutes of your life wasted. :mellow:

...but I was thinking.

This is something I've never heard discussed before by fans, or the NHL: In playoff games winding down in the final few minutes, if the goal differential is more than say two, a lot of the time, the game will deteriorate into a fight or cheap-shot at every possible break in play. Given that it's often due to teams trying to "send a message" for the next game (See goon Hartley and the Lames game 2, 2015), why not have any penalties that extend past regulation-time carry over to the next game?

In the current penalty system, a losing team can send out the goons to do their dirty work at the end of the game with virtually no negative consequences. SO what if the other team  gets a powerplay? There's only 40 seconds left in the game and they're up by 4 anyway?

For obvious reasons, this wouldn't work in the regular season. Besides the fact that your rarely play the same team twice in a row, the "extra-curricular's" in blowouts aren't as exaggerated. 

I just thought it would be nice to hear what the lovely people of CDC have to say about this idea! 

I've never thought about it but there is reason for why this should be implemented. 

OTOH, no other league does this so there's no precedent for it. It's unlikely to ever happen. 

What if the player that took the penalty isn't dressed for the next game? Someone else has to serve that time?

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What if the player that took the penalty isn't dressed for the next game? Someone else has to serve that time?

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. It would only be fair to still have it carry over. Have one of the other players on the ice when the penalty took place serve the penalty. If for some crazy reason, none of those players are dressed for the next game, then the coach has to pick someone from his starting lineup. 

Maybe if it was a major penalty, but that's about it.

I'm going to piggyback off this idea because I see it as similar.

During the regular season you have O.T. before the shootout, but what if a player takes a penalty that goes past the end of the game (ex: 2 minute penalty with 1 minute to go)?

I suggest keeping that player from participating in the shootout, or at the very least, make them ineligible as one of the first three shooters.

48 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Maybe if it was a major penalty, but that's about it.

I'm going to piggyback off this idea because I see it as similar.

During the regular season you have O.T. before the shootout, but what if a player takes a penalty that goes past the end of the game (ex: 2 minute penalty with 1 minute to go)?

I suggest keeping that player from participating in the shootout, or at the very least, make them ineligible as one of the first three shooters.

Alternatively, if it was a goon that took the penalty, they could be forced to take one of the three shots instead of a better sniper

It's a fun topic to think over in August. 

I don't think the idea works. A new game should be a fresh start. New referees. Potentially different lineups. Just as the score doesn't carry over, nor should penalties.

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎24 at 6:49 PM, King Heffy said:

Not until the NHL cracks down and addresses problem officials like Sutherland.  You want that goof to be able to rig games he's not even officiating?

I agree with you.  It's time for them to address this problem.  It has been a real problem since ... forever.  This is one of the reason why I stopped watching the playoffs for the first time since I started to watch hockey in 1990.   At first, I accepted the notion that because it's the playoffs, "let them go" and play even it's a real penalty that was committed even in OT. I hardly see any penalty calls in OT even I see the same infraction that committed in first period would be called and not called in OT for the similar infraction.  After seeing blown calls that led to game-winning goal despite the notion of being tied with 30 seconds, the ref's reasoning "I don't want the one that called the penalty that affected the game or even the series" is outdated according high standard in the rulebook and even the rulebook is not enforced properly.  A missed penalty call do affect the fairness and integrity of the game. So carrying over the game might rig the game even further.   So it's not a good idea, especially a ref like Sutherlands might decide to call a late penalty just to screw a team he disliked the most in the series for no reason like a tripping or a holding penalty.   What's more, I am still perplexed that Sutherlands continued to get playoff assignments, even the Final assignment when it's clear that he can rig the game like no tomorrow.  

Archived