The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Wild

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

No they didn't. Why would they? The Sedins averaged the same in the regular season that year as they did in the playoffs. Maybe you want to post some proof of management "sitting him down"

No they didn't. Benning said that management had now given Willie different priorities from those he was given at the start of the season.

He is the coach. Benning isn't a coach, he has never been a coach and neither has Linden. Not only that but WD was instructed to get to the playoffs  - you don't get to the playoffs playing green kids who have neither the stamina/strength nor the ability to to play the systems required when your team is under equipped and your top line is showing their age.

That system required players with high compete levels and ability to understand and take on the systems that needed to be adopted. I'm sure Willie would have loved to do a Toronto/Columbus and call up draft picks who had been honing their game against men for a couple of seasons in the AHL, KHL or the Swedish League.

Willie didn't have the "whole season" to feature young players. He had the whole season to try and achieve the playoffs. That is what he was instructed to do and that is what he did and while doing it he developed young players (who had played against men) who were capable of taking coaching instruction and competing in this league "for a team attempting to make the playoffs"

These players were Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Gaunce, to which could be added Granlund, Baertschi and Horvat. Who are these "young players" he chose not to play? Do you mean 23 year old LaBate, 25 year old Grenier, injure Anton Rodin, out of condition and overweight Jake Virtanen who still hasn't lit up in the A? 

You seem to have some misunderstanding that Willie was told to just throw the season away and no matter what was happening on the ice, management, owners (and fans) would be just so happy that LaBate and Grenier and Virtanen were getting 15-18 mins each they wouldn't notice the team was being banjoed every night. Not only that, but the message that would send to the young guys who were "cutting it" and doing well would be  - "relax guys this team's a basket case so there no real point in putting in the effort."

Willie is a good coach. He is not a perfect coach (but hey neither is Boudreau apparently) there are no perfect coaches, they all make some mistakes it's just that people like you and the jackal media are just too stupid to realise that it seems.

But at the end of the day the only real mistake a coach can make is to ice a team who will not compete hard every night for him, who don't trust him and who don't believe in him. None of that can be levelled at Desjardins AND FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU that must be life ending it seems.

Stop posting parroted bilge from your local media jackals and give the rest of us some peace.

I asked for a Willie gif, and got diarrhea of the mouth instead.

Turn your radio on. If the only source you accept is the official team pressers, than I can no longer waste my time with you.

Good day ma'am!

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Thanks Brock.

With a few predictable exceptions, this was about the least whiney, negative pair of GDT and PGTs in a long, long time.

He says as he admires himself in the mirror.:P

Was this really necessary or you just felt the need to stir the pot?

Really man, the constant fellow fan bashing is more annoying than the other GDT/PGT content. 

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

He says as he admires himself in the mirror.:P

Was this really necessary or you just felt the need to stir the pot?

Really man, the constant fellow fan bashing is more annoying than the other GDT/PGT content. 

it's mutual for sure Dib.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I'm here because of the team. 

The constant team, player, management, coach bashing is definitely annoying and makes this place damn near unbearable.

Somehow that's become acceptable, but the counterpoint isn't.  Interesting.

Nice when there's finally the odd break from it and the GDT isn't just a litterbox.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm here because of the team. 

The constant team, player, management, coach bashing is definitely annoying and makes this place damn near unbearable.

Nice when there's finally the odd break from it and the GDT isn't just a litterbox.

I think most here are for the team.  Not he kind of season that keeps the bandwagon types participating.

There has been a lot of pain and drama around this team for four years.  Not everyone handles it the same. Some very long suffering fans on here who may just be a little raw and impatient.

I agree it was an upbeat GDT/PDT.  It was enjoyable to see so many positive posts.  Hope can overcome a lot of anxt.

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

No they didn't. Why would they? The Sedins averaged the same in the regular season that year as they did in the playoffs. Maybe you want to post some proof of management "sitting him down"

No they didn't. Benning said that management had now given Willie different priorities from those he was given at the start of the season.

He is the coach. Benning isn't a coach, he has never been a coach and neither has Linden. Not only that but WD was instructed to get to the playoffs  - you don't get to the playoffs playing green kids who have neither the stamina/strength nor the ability to to play the systems required when your team is under equipped and your top line is showing their age.

That system required players with high compete levels and ability to understand and take on the systems that needed to be adopted. I'm sure Willie would have loved to do a Toronto/Columbus and call up draft picks who had been honing their game against men for a couple of seasons in the AHL, KHL or the Swedish League.

Willie didn't have the "whole season" to feature young players. He had the whole season to try and achieve the playoffs. That is what he was instructed to do and that is what he did and while doing it he developed young players (who had played against men) who were capable of taking coaching instruction and competing in this league "for a team attempting to make the playoffs"

These players were Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Gaunce, to which could be added Granlund, Baertschi and Horvat. Who are these "young players" he chose not to play? Do you mean 23 year old LaBate, 25 year old Grenier, injure Anton Rodin, out of condition and overweight Jake Virtanen who still hasn't lit up in the A? 

You seem to have some misunderstanding that Willie was told to just throw the season away and no matter what was happening on the ice, management, owners (and fans) would be just so happy that LaBate and Grenier and Virtanen were getting 15-18 mins each they wouldn't notice the team was being banjoed every night. Not only that, but the message that would send to the young guys who were "cutting it" and doing well would be  - "relax guys this team's a basket case so there no real point in putting in the effort."

Willie is a good coach. He is not a perfect coach (but hey neither is Boudreau apparently) there are no perfect coaches, they all make some mistakes it's just that people like you and the jackal media are just too stupid to realise that it seems.

But at the end of the day the only real mistake a coach can make is to ice a team who will not compete hard every night for him, who don't trust him and who don't believe in him. None of that can be levelled at Desjardins AND FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU that must be life ending it seems.

Stop posting parroted bilge from your local media jackals and give the rest of us some peace.

Do you notice this "new" posters style matches somebody here already?  Canuck2288?  I smell an alt account ;) 

30 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I think most here are for the team.  Not he kind of season that keeps the bandwagon types participating.

There has been a lot of pain and drama around this team for four years.  Not everyone handles it the same. Some very long suffering fans on here who may just be a little raw and impatient.

I agree it was an upbeat GDT/PDT.  It was enjoyable to see so many positive posts.  Hope can overcome a lot of anxt.

The raw and impatient fans are just as angry in the best of times too. Angry fans are always angry fans. In the cup run year pitchforks were out for luongo. Last year it was benning. This year its Willie. The one constant is angry fans are always angry.

On 3/25/2017 at 3:39 PM, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't have a problem with the earn your ice mantra, but when WD puts out the twins out in the third and they proceed to cough up the puck defensively repeatedly leading to the first goal, it is hard to justify punishing the kids or making them earn it.  Our weakest defensive players tonight were our Swedish vets.

yep Hank is -24 this year too many give aways..you know I think he needs a new prescription I saw him skate past the puck in the last game

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

+/- can be deceiving over the short term but as a long term indicator has value. At -24 for the season and considering the number of ozone starts it is a concern. It becomes a question of how the Twins fit next year on a roster in full rebuild. As d-zone defenders they have traditionally played high in the zone looking for breakout passes. Often that breaks down with a heavy opposing forecheck. Pucks either do not get recovered or are lost on the breakout. It causes scoring ops for the opposing team.

The Twins have shown great resilience in the past after reviewing their seasons and making adjustments. This year I have seen more willingness by both to engage in physical board battles. The play of Chaput should not be scoffed at as much as it is. He has the size to battle for position and puck possession. That helps the Twins. Combine that with a better puck possession d-core and again the Twins benefit. I am not suggesting that an improvement next year is a slam dunk. They will not be the #1 line next year and might not be able to hang onto #2. If they slide to #3 their TOI could drop to 14 minutes plus les PP TOI.  

Well if you have read any of my posts you will know I think the Sedins shouldn't be renewed but to blame Hank for the first goal was just out of order imo.

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

there are crucial times in small areas a player needs to separate another player from the puck...Hank sticked checked resulted in a weak play...if he used his body and stick to help separate the puck from the player then he would have got control...in addition, the centerman needs to play from the net out in order to be in good defensive position; during that shift he was not.

fourth from last in the league...Hank -22 worst on the team...very poor; big reason for the team's performance when your leader is worst on the team, defensively.

He trapped the guy on the boards and the puck went loose, you have to expect some support from your team mates. I think the Twins make quite a few mistakes but imo that wasn't one of them. Why jump on Hank when the 2nd and pressure goal was down to Bachman who had had a good game?

5 hours ago, Great Granny said:

I asked for a Willie gif, and got diarrhea of the mouth instead.

Turn your radio on. If the only source you accept is the official team pressers, than I can no longer waste my time with you.

Good day ma'am!

And so goes the way of so many of you Willie haters when you are called to account.

3 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Really?

You have to be joking, it's all the butt hurt bandwagons who litter these boards with hate week after week. 

I'm not accusing you of being one because at least you correspond unlike the majority of one line, single cell, lightweights who even after a good win can't wait to come on here and stink up this place with their bile.

13 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Really?

You have to be joking, it's all the butt hurt bandwagons who litter these boards with hate week after week. 

I'm not accusing you of being one because at least you correspond unlike the majority of one line, single cell, lightweights who even after a good win can't wait to come on here and stink up this place with their bile.

AS eloquently put as ever. B)

Sure there are some ridiculous one-liners regardless of the team's performance but for the most part, even the critical fans care about the team.

I've been called a bandwagoner for being critical which is pretty hilarious considering I have been an avid fan since the Nucks came into the league.  Sometimes I over react and I may have even been wrong (once), but I am here for the team, even when I spew venom sometimes.

As for yesterday's fame, I thought it was very enjoyable.  The kids were a joy to watch giving hope for the future.  It's been awhile since we've seen the kind of energy and chemistry shown by the youngsters.  Hopefully they have enough left in the tank tonight to give another good showing.   

On 3/25/2017 at 11:15 PM, Hortankin said:

He sucks it the way of winning but he is phenomenal in the way of development. He's a great AHL coach and a great NHL coach for a rebuilding team. I personally want to see Crawford back behind our bench next year but 1 more WD season won't kill us. I want a Crawford so badly 

Yes I would agree to an extent

I think Willie would have been better served coming as an Assistant to learn the strategy and tactics of being an NHL coach, he seems to have had to learn this on the fly and is learning the hard way its not the same as the AHL  (and he seems to be a bit too stubborn but same was said of AV, just AV had a younger team emerging, maybe how WD may have next year).

He is excellent at development for sure. I think he has been unfairly criticized by many of the fans and media given what he has had to work with, I would hope even if they do move him out of the head coaching role he stays on in some development capacity because he's good at that. It has however been mentioned on HNIC that many teams will be interested in him if he's let go - (Elliot Freidman mentioned) that says something. I'd argue NHL gm's know good coaches better than Canucks.com posters 

But hey that's just my opinion lol

On Crow, I wouldn't mind him. He played a very uptempo style, we know he's good with young talent from what he did here and with Matthews (colorado was stacked so hard to judge but he does seem to get alot out of offensive players), I always liked him as a coach. Only concern with him was he always had run and gun teams, I have always wondered how good of a defensive strategist he is but I guess you can add that in as an assistant

5 hours ago, BoDangles53 said:

Yes I would agree to an extent

I think Willie would have been better served coming as an Assistant to learn the strategy and tactics of being an NHL coach, he seems to have had to learn this on the fly and is learning the hard way its not the same as the AHL  (and he seems to be a bit too stubborn but same was said of AV, just AV had a younger team emerging, maybe how WD may have next year).

He is excellent at development for sure. I think he has been unfairly criticized by many of the fans and media given what he has had to work with, I would hope even if they do move him out of the head coaching role he stays on in some development capacity because he's good at that. It has however been mentioned on HNIC that many teams will be interested in him if he's let go - (Elliot Freidman mentioned) that says something. I'd argue NHL gm's know good coaches better than Canucks.com posters 

But hey that's just my opinion lol

On Crow, I wouldn't mind him. He played a very uptempo style, we know he's good with young talent from what he did here and with Matthews (colorado was stacked so hard to judge but he does seem to get alot out of offensive players), I always liked him as a coach. Only concern with him was he always had run and gun teams, I have always wondered how good of a defensive strategist he is but I guess you can add that in as an assistant

just look how much Ottawa improved under him since last year. He even added an extra jump to Burrows game as well. Crawford will be back I just know it, either next year or the year after!

Archived