The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Do you even read your links? Also on top of that did you see what I responded to?

Now quick reply in the other thread where you blamed Harper not realizing you had no clue what you were talking about. I guess it was another Ujjal Dosanjh moment for you. Or national Democratic party moment:lol:

You should give your links a quick glance.

So you literally cannot refute any of the data or content at all

Just admit it.  You're talking out of your arse.

I mean, unless you can PROVE that the data is wrong of course.

Come on Stromee, I dare you.  Try for once instead of being Strome like.  You might learn something

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

From one of your links.

The Conference Board of Canada forecast in its fiscal snapshot that Alberta’s economy would grow by more than three per cent this year and 2.3 per cent in 2018. But it said economic growth would not reach pre-recession levels.

It said the biggest turnaround would be in investment, most of which is expected to come from the energy sector.

Keep in mind your links, a few of which are the exact same are just reports not fact. What we do know is we have very high unemployment, massive defecit and a wack of new taxes.

Mhm

And?

You asked for facts to support his claim

I gave you those facts.  Unless you're ignorant or stupid enough to still believe the oil downturn or subsequent job losses are only the NDP's fault.

In which case you're a frigging idiot.

You wanted proof the economy was indeed moving forward.

i gave you proof.

Even the RBC just revised their outlook on Albertas economy to be better than even their own estimates.  

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I wish your friends all the best but they may be heading back very soon.

PUBLISHED - Sep 8, 2017

In August 2017 Alberta's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 8.1%, down from the 8.5% rate that was registered a year earlier, but up from last month's rate of 7.8%. The national unemployment rate was 6.2% in August, down from last August's rate of 7.0%

http://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/Unemployment

By this logic those young people may as well head to the east coast for a "brighter future."

So a .6% fluctuation is something to jump up and down about?

Quick, tell me how upset you are men in tights are kneeling during a song.

You're acting really childish here champ.  Even I can admit the moves Harper made were good when he made them.  but you literally turn your nose in the face of endless evidence and data that say you're wrong.

If you have the stones, prove me wrong.  Or you know.  Cluck your away around a few percentage points during the summer months when seasonal employment is at it's most mobile state during the year outside of Christmas

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Except Horgan is already pulling the same crap he used to complain about the Liberals doing.

http://theprovince.com/news/politics/ndp-government-stacks-jobs-with-partisan-insiders/wcm/e48542f6-bbf2-477e-8eca-80d50eef3908

Horgan doing the same time honored tradition of hiring from home...i think if anyone is shocked by this they've not been paying attention at all during their lifetime.

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Horgan doing the same time honored tradition of hiring from home...i think if anyone is shocked by this they've not been paying attention at all during their lifetime.

Not shocked.  It just reaffirms my belief that no matter who gets elected, they will always be a politician.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Not shocked.  It just reaffirms my belief that no matter who gets elected, they will always be a politician.

It's why I won't vote for any incumbents almost to a person.  I liked the provincial guy here, I liked the federal guy here.  Not based on party but based on what they brought to the table outside of office.

Doesn't mean I don't expect them to become just another career politician after (although Cannings for this riding has been surprisingly human)

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So you literally cannot refute any of the data or content at all

Just admit it.  You're talking out of your arse.

I mean, unless you can PROVE that the data is wrong of course.

Come on Stromee, I dare you.  Try for once instead of being Strome like.  You might learn something

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Mhm

And?

You asked for facts to support his claim

I gave you those facts.  Unless you're ignorant or stupid enough to still believe the oil downturn or subsequent job losses are only the NDP's fault.

In which case you're a frigging idiot.

You wanted proof the economy was indeed moving forward.

i gave you proof.

Even the RBC just revised their outlook on Albertas economy to be better than even their own estimates.  

So a .6% fluctuation is something to jump up and down about?

Quick, tell me how upset you are men in tights are kneeling during a song.

You're acting really childish here champ.  Even I can admit the moves Harper made were good when he made them.  but you literally turn your nose in the face of endless evidence and data that say you're wrong.

If you have the stones, prove me wrong.  Or you know.  Cluck your away around a few percentage points during the summer months when seasonal employment is at it's most mobile state during the year outside of Christmas

Lol I might learn something?:lol:

I'm still baffled by your Harper comment in the other thread and btw you never, ever give him credit. You say the economy wasn't his doing. Stop the lying.

As for facts I just read your links, did you? Sure a couple are the exact same story but thats how you roll. 

Again I never blamed dropping oil prices and job loss because of it on the ndp. Stop with this ridiculous lie otherwise it makes you look like a "frigging idiot."

I did say the 18 month royalty review by the ndp hurt the economy and caused job loss.

And of course the economy is starting to get better it can't possibly get worse. But certainly no where near what you and KOS are claiming.

Pretty sad when the ndp themselves admit the Alberta advantage is no more.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

And of course the economy is starting to get better it can't possibly get worse. But certainly no where near what you and KOS are claiming.

Pretty sad when the ndp themselves admit the Alberta advantage is no more.

Alberta Economy is  growing tremendously across all sectors.  GREAT News for Alberta and Canada.

So much credit needs to be given to the Alberta NDP which are doing amazing work in Alberta rebuild from the mess the Conservatives left in that province.

Great news !   

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/aboutalberta/economic-trends/2017/2017-08-economic-trends.pdf

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alberta Economy is  growing tremendously across all sectors.  GREAT News for Alberta and Canada.

So much credit needs to be given to the Alberta NDP which are doing amazing work in Alberta rebuild from the mess the Conservatives left in that province.

Great news !   

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/aboutalberta/economic-trends/2017/2017-08-economic-trends.pdf

The price of oil stabilized and is going up again the only thing the ndp have done is spend money.

7 minutes ago, Violator said:

The price of oil stabilized and is going up again the only thing the ndp have done is spend money.

Alberta NDP have provided good stable government during trying economic times.

This has resulted in Alberta economy surging across all sectors.

Great to see strong NDP Leadership having great results.  

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great news !   

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alberta NDP have provided good stable government during trying economic times.

This has resulted in Alberta economy surging across all sectors.

Great to see strong NDP Leadership having great results.  

Great troll work.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Clearly the  Alberta Treasury Board and Finance Economics / Revenue Forecasting    SAYS  YOU   are the troll .   

Did they point out the 8.1% unemployment rate and the 10.5 billion dollar defecit? 

I'm still baffled why all those young people you know are heading to a province with 8.1% unemployment. Especially considering B.C has a smaller unemployment rate. Strange why they're leaving.

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Did they point out the 8.1% unemployment rate and the 10.5 billion dollar defecit? 

I'm still baffled why all those young people you know are heading to a province with 8.1% unemployment. Especially considering B.C has a smaller unemployment rate. Strange why they're leaving.

Because BC has employment ( McJobs )  but the jobs pay 11.00 per hour while Alberta has more jobs that actually pay a living wage.  Housing is also much cheaper in Alberta obviously.

The fact is Alberta's economy is growing across all sectors.  Great news for Alberta in diversifying their economy.

Congrats to the hard work of Albertans and the good government they are getting from the Alberta NDP Party. 

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Because BC has employment ( McJobs )  but the jobs pay 11.00 per hour while Alberta has more jobs that actually pay a living wage.  Housing is also much cheaper in Alberta obviously.

The fact is Alberta's economy is growing across all sectors.  Great news for Alberta in diversifying their economy.

Congrats to the hard work of Albertans and the good government they are getting from the Alberta NDP Party. 

what do you believe the reasoning is for the ndp being behind in the polls since almost election night?

The poll, which surveyed 2,100 Albertans July 27-28, days after the historic unity vote between the formerly rival parties, found a solid majority of 57 per cent of decided and leaning voters would thrust the fledgling UCP into office. The NDP, meanwhile, would be ensconced as the main opposition, with some 29 per cent of decided and leaning voters preferring the party led by Premier Rachel Notley.

Poll shows UCP would handily defeat Alberta NDP if election held today

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryherald.com/news/politics/poll-shows-ucp-would-handily-defeat-alberta-ndp-if-election-held-today/amp

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

what do you believe the reasoning is for the ndp being behind in the polls since almost election night?

The poll, which surveyed 2,100 Albertans July 27-28, days after the historic unity vote between the formerly rival parties, found a solid majority of 57 per cent of decided and leaning voters would thrust the fledgling UCP into office. The NDP, meanwhile, would be ensconced as the main opposition, with some 29 per cent of decided and leaning voters preferring the party led by Premier Rachel Notley.

Poll shows UCP would handily defeat Alberta NDP if election held today

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryherald.com/news/politics/poll-shows-ucp-would-handily-defeat-alberta-ndp-if-election-held-today/amp

NDP are very popular in the more Educated ridings in Alberta such as Edmonton. 

A move to proportional representation.  I like it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-referendum-proportional-representation-referendum-1.4329417

Delivering on a promise to give British Columbians a choice in how future elections will be decided, Attorney General David Eby has announced plans for a referendum on proportional representation.

"Today we have taken the first step toward asking British Columbians if they want a change from the current voting system," said Eby.

"We are taking steps to modernize our democracy today, while giving people the power to decide the future of our most fundamental democratic institution."

Under proportional representation, voters elect representatives in proportion to the way they voted, not the current, first-past-the-post system where the candidate with the most votes wins.

Mail in referendum

Legislation introduced on Wednesday will have voters submit their referendum ballot by mail.

The ballots will be sent out in fall 2018, for a vote completed before the end of November.

Approval for a change will need 50 per cent plus one vote province-wide and if the referendum passes, the new system would be enacted before the next provincial election, scheduled for 2021.

In the meantime Eby says the government hopes to engage voters with debate and discussion about the potential change to how they elect MLAs.

"All British Columbians will be encouraged to engage in this process," said a release from Eby's office.

All feedback received through the engagement process will be summarized and put in a report that will include a recommendation of suggested questions for the referendum ballot.

During the election campaign, the NDP promised to hold a referendum, saying the current system, "gives all of the power to make decisions to a party that doesn't even get 50 per cent of the votes."

The Greens campaigned on a promise to introduce a system of proportional representation. Party Leader Andrew Weaver said the exact form of electoral change would be a matter of negotiation.

Seats for party status, election day

On Wednesday, the province also introduced legislation to amend the Constitution Act to reduce the number of seats required for recognized political party status from four to two.

The legislation will also change the fixed date election to a Saturday in October from a Tuesday in May. Eby says the change will allow for a January budget to be debated and passed.

In 2005, 57 per cent of people voted in favour of a single-transferable vote system of proportional representation, which fell short of the 60 per cent threshold established by then-premier Gordon Campbell.

Four years later, voters were asked to vote on electoral reform but the provincial government actively campaigned against the proposal. The initiative received only 39 per cent support.

There are several formats of proportional representation voting.

They include elections where voters rank candidates (single-transferable vote) or where a vote is cast for an individual and a second vote is cast for a party (Mixed-member proportional).

Eby says regardless of the referendum results, any election called before July 1, 2021 would be conducted using the current first-past-the-post system.

A move to tighten lobbying via ex MLA's as well?

I rather like this too.  Amazingly laughable that the "opposition" liberals are claiming it doesn't go far enough after the most choice cabinet ministers retired or moved in to choice spots in the public sector.  Spots that have been found to have been very lucrative Liberal sponsors and donors

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-government-proposes-tightening-lobbying-rules-1.4317633

The B.C. government has committed to preventing former cabinet ministers and high-ranking public servants from lobbying government immediately after leaving their jobs.

If passed, the legislation proposed by the governing NDP would ban cabinet ministers, political staff, parliamentary secretaries, deputy ministers and associate deputy ministers from lobbying for two years after leaving government.

B.C. Attorney General David Eby said British Columbians are concerned, "about people having insider information and then as soon as they leave government going to a lobbyist firm and using that information to benefit other organizations — and we wanted to stop that."

The ban would also extend to senior officials at universities, school boards, health authorities, hospitals, the Workers' Compensation Board and Crown corporations.

The ban does not, however, extend to former MLAs. Similarly, the federal government's five-year prohibition on lobbying by former public office holders does not extend to former members of Parliament. 

"Our feeling was MLAs didn't have access to this insider information, which is what we were concerned about," said Eby. 

The proposed rules would ensure that lobbyists disclose the names of any staff, ministers or MLAs they speak to. The fine for breaking the lobbying act would remain the same at $25,000.

The Greens and NDP agreed on lobbying reforms as part of their pact to create a stable minority government. 

Liberal MLA Andrew Wilkinson said there should be rules to ensure lobbyists provide monthly lists of the officials they meet with. 

"The major changes in the federal legislation require notification when a lobbyist actually visited someone and we don't have this in this province," said Wilkinson. 

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Amazingly laughable that the "opposition" liberals are claiming it doesn't go far enough after the most choice cabinet ministers retired or moved in to choice spots in the public sector.  Spots that have been found to have been very lucrative Liberal sponsors and donors

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-government-proposes-tightening-lobbying-rules-1.4317633

They all appoint their buddies Hip and you know it. Why do you continue to ignore that with the NDP? Look at ICBC now:

"Newly appointed Pearson gave $6,400 to the NDP since 2008 in addition to $2,600 of Hospital Employees Union political donations on which she's listed as a principal officer, according to Elections B.C., where she was the union's secretary and business manager.

The agency's board of directors remains chaired by former B.C. NDP MLA Joy MacPhail, who was appointed by the NDP on July 20. She's donated $12,722 to the B.C. NDP since 2005."

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/08/24/b-c-ndp-axes-half-icbc-board-including-2-liberal-donors.html

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They all appoint their buddies Hip and you know it. Why do you continue to ignore that with the NDP? Look at ICBC now:

"Newly appointed Pearson gave $6,400 to the NDP since 2008 in addition to $2,600 of Hospital Employees Union political donations on which she's listed as a principal officer, according to Elections B.C., where she was the union's secretary and business manager.

The agency's board of directors remains chaired by former B.C. NDP MLA Joy MacPhail, who was appointed by the NDP on July 20. She's donated $12,722 to the B.C. NDP since 2005."

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/08/24/b-c-ndp-axes-half-icbc-board-including-2-liberal-donors.html

At no point did I suggest they didn't

But this is the first government to propose such legislation ensuring that former political staff and MLA's cannot immediately start milking at the government teet after leaving office.

This legislation is for AFTER politicians leave office.  Join high profile private sector positions and immediately garner government contracts or funding.  That's a good thing

Archived