The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

All Horgan would have to do in regards to high gas prices is circle the dollar amount

$0.51

Then slap the liberal banner next to it with a smile

Why is this important?

Because under the Liberals, the Liberal friendly Vancouver council and Liberal committees we see 51 cents per liter in taxes in vancouver and almost 35 cents per liter province wide.

Context

Isn't it 35 + 16 =51? Either way it's no surprise under both governments the majority of BC revenue is off taxes. Hell BC had a top credit rating and the number one reason was the revenue generated off BC taxes. Sad part is BC has more natural resources than anyone in Canada yet a project can't get built in that province.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It'll be a new election. Horgan is the incumbent, much harder to beat this time if he can stay on track and if he can help land the 40 billion LNG deal and get out of this Notley thing looking clean he's probably going to eat into the soft Green vote. Wilkinson is unelectable imo. Smarm for miles. I was really po'd when they chose him, just a terrible choice. 

I certainly don't know enough about Wilkinson but one has to remember Horgan did not win the election. I really don't like either party I have just seen those kind of comments from people on cdc and I find it strange considering in 2017 the ndp once again lost the election.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I certainly don't know enough about Wilkinson but one has to remember Horgan did not win the election. I really don't like either party I have just seen those kind of comments from people on cdc and I find it strange considering in 2017 the ndp once again lost the election.

there was a lot of fear around the NDP then tho that won't be there for a lot of people next election if Horgan doesn't poop the bed. And Wilkinson doesn't have the personality to pull off a win. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there was a lot of fear around the NDP then tho that won't be there for a lot of people next election if Horgan doesn't poop the bed. And Wilkinson doesn't have the personality to pull off a win. 

Man the first ndp budget had 4 billion dollars added to the debt. Same old ndp I wouldn't be surprised to see BC'ers remember that. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Man the first ndp budget had 4 billion dollars added to the debt. Same old ndp I wouldn't be surprised to see BC'ers remember that. 

BC Liberals created record debt in BC .

Finally BC gets a government that is fiscally responsible. 

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC Liberals created record debt in BC .

Finally BC gets a government that is fiscally responsible. 

The last time the ndp governed B.C they doubled the provincial debt. That was a record alright. You are blaming the libs for debt while giving the ndp a free pass on it.

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I dunno, collectively we seem to have short memories. 

We'll see, the things that need to break Horgans way for another win like the LNG Canada project will be good for the province so at least there's that. 

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

1) Actually provinces could scrap it and then if the feds impose one the provinces could challenge it in court. Sound familiar?

2) I believe thats incorrect. I'm pretty sure jt said the money would be invested back into the province.

Carbon taxes are a scam stop trying to make excuses for them just because the ndp support them more than anyone.

Ottawa has guaranteed any carbon tax revenues raised in a province will stay in that province. However, if the federal backstop is imposed, Ottawa will decide how the money is spent in that province. McKenna and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau favour sending direct rebate cheques to individuals, bypassing the provincial government entirely.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-carbon-pricing-works-canadian-economists-say-as-national-debate/

Not even going to get in to this in depth with you if you can't even do the work yourself/  You also know how I feel about facts vs opinions

Actually.  NEITHER party won the election.

Both parties begged the Greens to work with them

The Greens worked with the NDP

Therefore the NDP won the election.

The Liberals won the same way Hillary won.

The NDP won the same way Trump won.

Without the system the Alliance/Socred/Liberal party put in to place the NDP would not have won at all.  But then that's how the system works.  Eventually it comes back to bite you.

Also, Wilkinson is absolutely worthless and just oozes sleaze like a Vancouver Real Estate Agent

Actually, it was less than $4 billion but much of that was due to the fires and flooding over the last year as well as the essential services that needed to be topped up and maintained.

If you want to speak of a party that adds debt.

ab debt by year

change in net debt by year

All government incurs debt by and large.  It's whether you choose to ignore WHY that debt is incurred vs how much money is being made and why that matters to your argument.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The last time the ndp governed B.C they doubled the provincial debt. That was a record alright. You are blaming the libs for debt while giving the ndp a free pass on it.

The last time the NDP held power NAFTA came in to play and cost the entire country close to 3/4 of a million jobs between forestry and manufacturing alone in the first 10 years it was implemented in Canada.

Then the PEFC as well cost BC, Ontario and Quebec close to 300,000 jobs between them after implementation just before NAFTA in the forestry sector due to a lack of a sustainable certification plan for the Canadian forest sector.

In BC when hundreds of thousands lose their jobs within less than 9 years or so; it is going to look very very bad on any government.  This of course doesn't factor in what Willie Woodenshoes cost this province or the fact that by their end in office the BC NDP was actually watching the economy rise as evidenced by their surplus.  This is also without mentioning that even WITH the entire country and this province bleeding jobs, growth was actually impressive in BC across the country in the 90's as a comparison to the rest of the provinces.

The winners write the history books don't they?  And the BC Liberals loved to perpetuate the "lost decade' myth 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gabriel-yiu/bc-ndp-lost-decade_b_16252392.html

I love me some facts Strome.  Almost as much as I love context

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ottawa has guaranteed any carbon tax revenues raised in a province will stay in that province. However, if the federal backstop is imposed, Ottawa will decide how the money is spent in that province. McKenna and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau favour sending direct rebate cheques to individuals, bypassing the provincial government entirely.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-carbon-pricing-works-canadian-economists-say-as-national-debate/

Not even going to get in to this in depth with you if you can't even do the work yourself/  You also know how I feel about facts vs opinions

This is hilarious. 

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Without the system the Alliance/Socred/Liberal party put in to place the NDP would not have won at all.  But then that's how the system works.  Eventually it comes back to bite you.

Also, Wilkinson is absolutely worthless and just oozes sleaze like a Vancouver Real Estate Agent

Incorrect. The BC liberals won a minority government. Fact!

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Actually, it was less than $4 billion but much of that was due to the fires and flooding over the last year as well as the essential services that needed to be topped up and maintained.

If you want to speak of a party that adds debt.

ab debt by year

change in net debt by year

All government incurs debt by and large.  It's whether you choose to ignore WHY that debt is incurred vs how much money is being made and why that matters to your argument.

So you admit in the 90s the Ndp doubled BC's debt? What's the excuse?

The last time the NDP held power NAFTA came in to play and cost the entire country close to 3/4 of a million jobs between forestry and manufacturing alone in the first 10 years it was implemented in Canada.

Then the PEFC as well cost BC, Ontario and Quebec close to 300,000 jobs between them after implementation just before NAFTA in the forestry sector due to a lack of a sustainable certification plan for the Canadian forest sector.

In BC when hundreds of thousands lose their jobs within less than 9 years or so; it is going to look very very bad on any government.  This of course doesn't factor in what Willie Woodenshoes cost this province or the fact that by their end in office the BC NDP was actually watching the economy rise as evidenced by their surplus.  This is also without mentioning that even WITH the entire country and this province bleeding jobs, growth was actually impressive in BC across the country in the 90's as a comparison to the rest of the provinces.

The winners write the history books don't they?  And the BC Liberals loved to perpetuate the "lost decade' myth 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gabriel-yiu/bc-ndp-lost-decade_b_16252392.html

I love me some facts Strome.  Almost as much as I love context

Fact- The Ndp doubled BCs debt in the 90s. I'm not advocating for the BC liberals I'm just pointing out facts. You however blame the liberals while always giving the ndp a free pass for their blunders, that's another fact.

Lol what? Marijuana isn't even legalized yet hip. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Incorrect. The BC liberals won a minority government. Fact!

Incorrect had they WON they'd be in power.  As they are not in power they did not win.

Unless you think Hillary won the US election as well.  As both entities lost for the same reason

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The liberals would have added to the debt in a similar manner if they didn't rob BC Hydro and ICBC.  Taking on debt isn't always a bad thing depending on its purpose. Right now I think much of BC is happy with the NDP. Other than the pipeline they have been rather open for business. I think they'll soak up some of the green vote and stay strong where they already won. As said earlier the new Lib leaders is a turd...

I'd like to start drilling off shore personally but I think i am in the minority there. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fact- The Ndp doubled BCs debt in the 90s. I'm not advocating for the BC liberals I'm just pointing out facts. You however blame the liberals while always giving the ndp a free pass for their blunders, that's another fact.

Now that IS a fact, but you fail to indicate why that happened.

I loathe ignorance, you and yours always show up with the same talking points any time the NDP are involved and you refuse to cite context reason or anything more than talking points to back your arguments up.  I despise that type of ignorance with the same level as I do Leafs fans

Just now, Gnarcore said:

The liberals would have added to the debt in a similar manner if they didn't rob BC Hydro and ICBC.  Taking on debt isn't always a bad thing depending on its purpose. Right now I think much of BC is happy with the NDP. Other than the pipeline they have been rather open for business. I think they'll soak up some of the green vote and stay strong where they already won. As said earlier the new Lib leaders is a turd...

I'd like to start drilling off shore personally but I think i am in the minority there. 

You're not, I actually brought that up in another thread.

If the BC NDP wanted to stick it to the feds and Alberta they could in theory use the cancelled moratorium on offshore drilling the Libs pulled legislation for, make sure that first nations groups were 50% owners and start drilling off the coast and off the island.  Create an offshore terminal and viola.

I think it's a great idea myself.

Archived