The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 18 Thread

MusclePharm

Figured out how to have a fun franchise mode on NhL 18. I have 1 created player and instead of making him a LW (ive done this since 04), I made my player the franchise offensive dman that this franchise has needed since 1970. 

I simmed the entire 2018 season so that i would be in real time and Pettersson didnt leave me a choice to be on the squad. He is currently leading the team in scoring with 21 points in 18 games (10 g 11 a), killing it on a line with veteren Jokinen and Goldy

Lines are as follows

Baertschi (84) Horvat (87) Boeser (87)

Jokinen (79) Pettersson (82) Goldy (82)

Leipsic (81) Granlund (80) Virtanen (82)

Gaudette (77) Sutter (78) Boucher (80)

Edler (83) Tanev (84)

My player (81) Stecher (83)

Juolevi (80) Pouliot (80)

Markstrom (84)

Demko (82)

its not that flashy but its been so much fun, the lines work well, the combinations of speed skill and grit are in all the lines, and ive had a lot of succeas. 

Demko started his rookie after an injury to markstrom, and a terrible game by Nilsson, and went his first 4 games letting in 2 goals. 

Currently 12-7-2

Having a lot of fun! 

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a funny thing happen.

Playing franchise mode - A goal against me was waived off due to goaltender interference.  Then Ray goes on about how special it is for the kid to get his first NHL goal and how he will never forget it.

It was almost like Ray was mocking him for having his first ever goal called back.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something funny from Franchise mode I hope they can improve in '19...

If I achieve all four of my owner's goals in a season, I can receive a whopping $75K increase in my team's operating budget.  A single repair to any of the arena's facilities costs over $100K.

It doesn't seem like much of a bonus.

I wish 2k would step up again and make a game, at least to just make EA make an effort in improving these games. EA loves to say that their NHL dev team is smaller, etc because of the market for it, but if they didn't release some bull$&!# year after year it wouldn't be on such a decline.

It's like how they stopped making GM Connected because they said not enough people used it to warrant bringing it to PS4/One. That's only because it was so god damn slow to sim games and go through menus, so a lot of people didn't bother. I know hundreds of people online though who would love to have that $&!# back, and there's a lot of us who wouldn't even care if it was still slow.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Pretty good 79 last I checked.

One time I got it up to 90-93 and the game became a joke. You pull at least one 90+ overall every draft and a franchise player like every five. Cap problems? Needn’t worry, trade somebody because you’ve got an 87 overall ready to take his spot on an ELC. 

I have no idea how I got the chemistry so high. I’ve tried doing all the things you find recommended on the internet (right mix of player ages, everyone in their recommended role, etc etc) and I can almost never crack 80+ chemistry. 

After the Ottawa stuff broke.i opted to take a shot at rebuilding the sens. I think I got taken to the cleaners by Philly.

Let me know what you think of this trade:

Erik Karlsson

Cody Ceci

Colin White

2018 1st

2018 2nd

For

Shane Ghostberries

Nolan Patrick

Travis Konecny

LoL.  Did I do ok or get cleaned out? I know I did in the deal following

Hoffman

2019 2nd

2021 2nd

For

Elli Tolvanen 

Picked up mete and Jordan Subban in other deals.  My lineup is hilarious but fun. A few trades later I have:

Gaborik - Duchene - Konecny

Hudler - Patrick - Ryan

Tolvanen - Brown - Tlusty

McAurther - Andreoff - Dzingl

Ghostberries - Ristolainen

Chabot - Wideman

Mete - Subban

Anderson

Forget who lol

Played 3 games so far. It is fun. Very close games. I do well vs fast teams struggle vs physical clubs. Did I get ripped off? Lol

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

One time I got it up to 90-93 and the game became a joke. You pull at least one 90+ overall every draft and a franchise player like every five. Cap problems? Needn’t worry, trade somebody because you’ve got an 87 overall ready to take his spot on an ELC. 

I have no idea how I got the chemistry so high. I’ve tried doing all the things you find recommended on the internet (right mix of player ages, everyone in their recommended role, etc etc) and I can almost never crack 80+ chemistry. 

You seem like a great drafter. How do you get so lucky lol. Please explain your scouting system haha

On 6/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, DollarAndADream said:

I wish 2k would step up again and make a game, at least to just make EA make an effort in improving these games. EA loves to say that their NHL dev team is smaller, etc because of the market for it, but if they didn't release some bull$&!# year after year it wouldn't be on such a decline.

It's like how they stopped making GM Connected because they said not enough people used it to warrant bringing it to PS4/One. That's only because it was so god damn slow to sim games and go through menus, so a lot of people didn't bother. I know hundreds of people online though who would love to have that $&!# back, and there's a lot of us who wouldn't even care if it was still slow.

I bet they took it out so they can introduce it as a "new" game mode in a few years. 

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

You seem like a great drafter. How do you get so lucky lol. Please explain your scouting system haha

Honestly drafting has little to nothing to do with it. If you have great locker room chemistry (85+) the drafting and development will take care of itself. If your chemistry isn’t great (<80) it gets tougher and finding gems outside of the top 5-10 becomes a hell of a lot harder, pretty much fluke. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, for my Ottawa be a GM mode.  San Jose is interested in both my starter Craig Anderson and my backup Mike Condon.  Anderson and Condon have both been struggling in my system.  

I am considering whether to make a move to acquire Dell to shore up my goaltending. Curious your guys thoughts... I am trying to determine if I should move Anderson out or use Condon with another asset to acquire him. I have made a lot of moves to completely alter the team. (including acquiring AHL starter Stolarz here is G depth right now.  Who I feel may be able to step up later this season. He is kind of keeping my AHL team semi respectable)

NHL (Pros)

Craig Anderson

Mike Condon

AHL (Farm Team)

Anthony Stolarz

A new euro signing

CHL/EUROPE

Gustavsson (Acquired from PIT last TDL)

There are a few teams interest in Condon less so Anderson. Should I move Anderson or package up one of few top 9 prospects with Condon for him?  I have no 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks in the 2019 draft.  I moved them all out to improve the team. I have managed to acquire several more 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks. I am hoping I can land some quality top 9 / 7th defenceman type players in the draft.  My team scores a ton of goals but goaltending can be weak. Should I grab Dell as a backup? or replace Anderson? it feels unrealisitc to move Anderson well having a positive win/loss record.

Wanted some feedback from other hockey fans. :D he has requested a trade out in real life but i donno lol.

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Hey guys, for my Ottawa be a GM mode.  San Jose is interested in both my starter Craig Anderson and my backup Mike Condon.  Anderson and Condon have both been struggling in my system.  

I am considering whether to make a move to acquire Dell to shore up my goaltending. Curious your guys thoughts... I am trying to determine if I should move Anderson out or use Condon with another asset to acquire him. I have made a lot of moves to completely alter the team. (including acquiring AHL starter Stolarz here is G depth right now.  Who I feel may be able to step up later this season. He is kind of keeping my AHL team semi respectable)

NHL (Pros)

Craig Anderson

Mike Condon

AHL (Farm Team)

Anthony Stolarz

A new euro signing

CHL/EUROPE

Gustavsson (Acquired from PIT last TDL)

There are a few teams interest in Condon less so Anderson. Should I move Anderson or package up one of few top 9 prospects with Condon for him?  I have no 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks in the 2019 draft.  I moved them all out to improve the team. I have managed to acquire several more 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks. I am hoping I can land some quality top 9 / 7th defenceman type players in the draft.  My team scores a ton of goals but goaltending can be weak. Should I grab Dell as a backup? or replace Anderson? it feels unrealisitc to move Anderson well having a positive win/loss record.

Wanted some feedback from other hockey fans. :D he has requested a trade out in real life but i donno lol.

What would u guys say is more realistic. Dell swap w/ Anderson and retained salary. Give SJS a great 1-2 punch.  Or send them Condon and a prospect? what would you prefer? Anderson has 2 years left after this season.  Would you go Miller style backup or just acquire the asset?

Any mode above pro difficulty is BS, I was doing a challenge in HUT and needed to get a breakaway so I get the puck to Ray Bourque who has rocket skates activated and near maximum skating, he’s by himself down the ice and I use the burst and everything looks clear and then Brooks Orpik skating backwards catches up to him :picard:

How is this game used for pro gaming? Haven’t played hut yet but, if it’s anything like couch multiplayer there are huge problems with this game for that. A friend and I have played multiple seasons already. So many games where either one of us is simple not able to compete. 1/2 foot passes missed, unable to take puck off opponent dispite clearly making a play on the puck. Goalies won’t make a save period. If the online play is even close to as garbage as couch multiplayer how can it be considered competitive. 

7 hours ago, Deathbyoompa said:

How is this game used for pro gaming? Haven’t played hut yet but, if it’s anything like couch multiplayer there are huge problems with this game for that. A friend and I have played multiple seasons already. So many games where either one of us is simple not able to compete. 1/2 foot passes missed, unable to take puck off opponent dispite clearly making a play on the puck. Goalies won’t make a save period. If the online play is even close to as garbage as couch multiplayer how can it be considered competitive. 

There’s a learning curve to NHL 18, but with practice you can master it. I personally don’t let in many goals anymore because I figured out the defensive side of the game. You just need to adapt. 

Just got an xbox one back recently and wondered if anyone had any EASHL clubs available? I haven't played EASHL since last year and really want to get back into it with a group of people that are mostly dedicated but still relaxed. I would be willing to play almost every day if time was reasonable. I also play after midnight often. I was a pretty good player in the eyes of some and average in the eyes of others, I thought I was good at 18 until I got an xbox one again and realized I had some rust, mainly from going back to the 360 for half a year lol.

I don't have a gold membership yet but if I had the incentive to get one (a club) I would be willing to get one asap.

Archived