The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buttons Vegas squad

23 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I have to think Button is taking into account that the speculated side deals that have been discussed are in play for this LGK team. Hence, obvious big names not being present on the list. However that still doesn't explain the Skille pick. 

Yeah, even if Sbisa's $3.6m is a non-starter for them, you'd think they'd be better off with either of Rodin/Boucher (upside), Gaunce etc.

10 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I've been thinking Vegas might take a couple of UFAs where there is no player available they are actually interested in. It's a very plausible scenario.

Even better, an RFA like Gaunce as he' at least hold some valuable as a far more controllable asset. Never mind younger.

I still think it's likely Sbisa... or maybe Gaunce and long shot Rodin/Boucher.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, even if Sbisa's $3.6m is a non-starter for them, you'd think they'd be better off with either of Rodin/Boucher (upside), Gaunce etc.

Even better, an RFA like Gaunce as he' at least hold some valuable as a far more controllable asset. Never mind younger.

I still think it's likely Sbisa... or maybe Gaunce and long shot Rodin/Boucher.

Benning may have offered the rights to Rodin or Boucher if they pick Gaunce, that would be fine, it gives LV some cheap depth and potential. I feel like if we lose Sbisa Benning will be less likely to trade Tanev as well. With the inevitable injury to Edler our top pair would be Hutton-Stecher. I guess we can overpay for Alzner with Sbisa's cap hit gone. 

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Benning may have offered the rights to Rodin or Boucher if they pick Gaunce, that would be fine, it gives LV some cheap depth and potential. I feel like if we lose Sbisa Benning will be less likely to trade Tanev as well. With the inevitable injury to Edler our top pair would be Hutton-Stecher. I guess we can overpay for Alzner with Sbisa's cap hit gone. 

Why the hell would Benning offer Gaunce + when he could just give them Gaunce/Sbisa?

They have pretty close to the same trade value. I'd peg Sbisa around an early 3rd, Gaunce a mid to late 3rd. Not a big difference.

It's interesting.  It appears most people are assuming that Vegas will be drafting (or keeping) the best players available in the expansion draft.  And while they might, I offer an alternate possibility...

Tank.

It's not like McPhee is a rookie.  He has been around the league for a long time.  What I think we are more likely to see is Vegas trying to acquire as many picks and young players as possible.  Sure, they will select enough talent to be mildly competitive, or at least entertaining, but I think overall the goal will be to have a team that will be bad enough to get a really high pick next year and slowly build from there.  For the better players that are available, if Vegas does draft them, I think it will be with an eye to trade them before the weekend.  Heck, I bet there are already deals in place for some of them.

At this stage it is impossible for the team to have any real depth and they will hamstring themselves for years to come if they try to pretend to be something they aren't.

44 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It's interesting.  It appears most people are assuming that Vegas will be drafting (or keeping) the best players available in the expansion draft.  And while they might, I offer an alternate possibility...

Tank.

It's not like McPhee is a rookie.  He has been around the league for a long time.  What I think we are more likely to see is Vegas trying to acquire as many picks and young players as possible.  Sure, they will select enough talent to be mildly competitive, or at least entertaining, but I think overall the goal will be to have a team that will be bad enough to get a really high pick next year and slowly build from there.  For the better players that are available, if Vegas does draft them, I think it will be with an eye to trade them before the weekend.  Heck, I bet there are already deals in place for some of them.

At this stage it is impossible for the team to have any real depth and they will hamstring themselves for years to come if they try to pretend to be something they aren't.

LV is guaranteed to have at least the 3rd highest odds in the draft lottery next year and the year after, there is no need for them to tank. I definitely expect them to trade some players for extra picks though.

23 hours ago, westvandude said:

Evened out (East vs West) 30 teams with some moves to better markets:

• Merge Lightening and Panthers into one Florida team => Atlantic down to 7 teams
  • Move Canes up north (Quebec or Hamilton) => Metro stay at 8 teams
  • Move Yotes to Seattle => Pacific stay at 7 teams, Central stay at 8 teams (including Vegas)

More extreme trim-down to 28 teams:

• Merge Lightening and Panthers into one relocated team (Quebec or Hamilton) => Atlantic down to 7 teams
  • Kill Canes => Metro down to 7 teams
  • Move Yotes to Seattle
  • Merge 2 of the 3 california teams (probably Ducks and Kings due to proximity)
  • Move Avs back to Pacific => Pacific at 7 teams, Central at 7 teams

What would be fun is instead of merging franchises, the ones that are relocating stay intact as far as players etc. The franchises that are killed would have all their players go into this new "Contraction Draft". So in the case of the 28 team proposal, 3 teams are killed, which means about 40-50 players per team (how many players are under contract/rights for each team on average including all of their minor league players?) x 3 = ~150 players available in a ~5-6 round snake draft for the remaining 28 teams, with draft positions drawn at random. The chaos and analysis and discussion that builds up towards the draft!

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

LV is guaranteed to have at least the 3rd highest odds in the draft lottery next year and the year after, there is no need for them to tank. I definitely expect them to trade some players for extra picks though.

I have never seen that anywhere but on this board.  My understanding is that they are only guaranteed 3rd highest odds this year.  Where did you get that information from?

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

I have never seen that anywhere but on this board.  My understanding is that they are only guaranteed 3rd highest odds this year.  Where did you get that information from?

I just googled and found no sources for this. This would be an overly ridiculous advantage for them. They are already having a pretty big advantage over the past expansion teams considering the much lower number of protected players vs. number of expansion teams. Of course they're paying a big cheque for it too.  

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Why the hell would Benning offer Gaunce + when he could just give them Gaunce/Sbisa?

They have pretty close to the same trade value. I'd peg Sbisa around an early 3rd, Gaunce a mid to late 3rd. Not a big difference.

because Sbisa is more useful to us if we move Tanev. Offering Gaunce+Rodin or Boucher's rights ensures we keep Sbisa for good depth. 

17 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I've been thinking Vegas might take a couple of UFAs where there is no player available they are actually interested in. It's a very plausible scenario.

McPhee said today that there will be some throwaway picks where they won't bother qualifying the player and just let him go to free agency.

7 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I haven't seen anything on it for a while, but I remember it being in a TSN article a few months back (I think McKenzie tweeted about it). Unfortunately I'm bad at searching for things so I don't know when exactly it was. It possible that it was just being rumored by TSN before any details were out and hasn't actually been confirmed (though I seem to recall it was at some point).

7 hours ago, goalie13 said:

After some digging, it looks like that information actually came from Elliotte Friedman. However, it seems the original rumor was actually that they were guaranteed a spot in the draft lottery (but not necessarily 3rd highest odds) for 4 years, but it was never comfirmed.

(They talk about it here: http://sinbin.vegas/many-more-expansion-and-entry-draft-rules/)

58 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

After some digging, it looks like that information actually came from Elliotte Friedman. However, it seems the original rumor was actually that they were guaranteed a spot in the draft lottery (but not necessarily 3rd highest odds) for 4 years, but it was never comfirmed.

You did a better job digging than I did.  I never found anything.  Usually Elliotte can be counted on for solid intel but I guess he missed the mark this time.

It was just one of those things that I have seen people throw out as a 'fact' on CDC for a while but could never find anything to confirm it.

Archived