The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My theory on why McDavid will never be as good as Crosby

JM_

23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes. 40 goals, better on face-offs, more takeaways, blocked shots. to me that is a superior year. 

Does McDavid really make everyone around him better or is his line designed to allow him to generate speed for more individual efforts? LD taking draws for him would suggest to me that maybe he get a lot of help from his line too. 

Far better season though? I mean sure defensively Matthews might be better, I don't know the exact stats but I don't think he's exactly Toews/Bergeron and I'm sure McDavid isn't exactly a slouch in his own end. Yeah faceoffs obviously goes to Matthews. McDavid isn't even trusted to take most of them. I just think "far superior" rookie season is a stretch. 

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Far better season though? I mean sure defensively Matthews might be better, I don't know the exact stats but I don't think he's exactly Toews/Bergeron and I'm sure McDavid isn't exactly a slouch in his own end. Yeah faceoffs obviously goes to Matthews. McDavid isn't even trusted to take most of them. I just think "far superior" rookie season is a stretch. 

yah maybe. Just making a point, but when a rookie can show that he has more skill in all areas I think the use of 'superior' is warranted. When you look to this year, the talk was all about Draistaitl was going to C his own line so EDM would have two pretty scary lines to deal with, but its turned out McLellan has been using them together to get LD to take most of the draws. 

Connor chokes in big games.  The series against Anaheim he was almost invisible and he had a generally weak playoffs.  Goes back to his junior days as well when he got out performed by Cole Cassels at the Memorial Cup.  Sid's scored on Canadian soil, in overtime, against the US, for gold.

53 minutes ago, Nooks said:

Connor chokes in big games.  The series against Anaheim he was almost invisible and he had a generally weak playoffs.  Goes back to his junior days as well when he got out performed by Cole Cassels at the Memorial Cup.  Sid's scored on Canadian soil, in overtime, against the US, for gold.

Love your comment on Cole Cassels lol... just wish Cole had made an NHL impact.

As for the last bold in red... give me a break. Sid wasn't even remotely Canada's best player in those Olympics or that game. That was Luongo's team, on Luongo's soil... great Vancouver soil.

I like McDavid's personality better than Sid's. I think he has potential to be better than Sid this year.

I get Mcdavid is an Oiler and we all have biases against him but you guys are talking about a 20 year old! He's still getting better.

I have seen him be plenty physical for a star player. He pokes at guys and throws hits here and there. He's definitely not soft. 

I don't think he'll win enough to be considered as good or be better than Crosby. That's his only hurdle imo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived