The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My theory on why McDavid will never be as good as Crosby

JM_

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i dunno

it is that top end skill set and vision that mcdavid has

which he can execute at top speed that

makes him so special .. .giving him some of the gretzky aura (gretzky did not have the speed)

a very special player .. i think potentially more special then crosby

more like lemieux perhaps . but with speed rather than lemieux's bulk (compared to other players at that time)

i think the present excitement regarding mcdavid's potential is justified

but i agree we have to see how it all turns out

i do note the the recent rule changes specifically benefit mcdavid as well

and mcdavid will round out his overall game more as well as he gains experience in the nhl

thats true the thing that sets him apart is that crazy speed... but thats it. Granted its a hell of an "it" :lol:

history doesn't favour speed demons in hockey, I don't wish for anything bad to happen but he likely will wear out sooner than later. 

From a pure entertainment standpoint McD is by far the more exciting player to watch for me. It's kind of like the Sedins vs Bure. You can argue who is better forever and probably never get a consensus as they play different games. But I would trade 2 Sedins in there prime for one Bure in his any day of the week as I think he brought a more entertaining brand of hockey. Same goes for McD he is just more fun to watch regardless of whether or not Crosby is better. Although Crosby and the Sedins are very entertaining as well just not as exciting.

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

who's "putting him down"? just pointing out some facts to date.

He did not show that he was on par with those three in the playoffs either. 

Why say McD is "the best" when he hasn't been yet? 

You are...

So another season and another giant drool bucket over McDavid... but with all the hype I can't shake the idea that he's actually not a complete player in the mould of e.g., Sid Crosby or potentially Austin Matthews. 

So flame away but here's my rationale for this:

1. McDavid is a very poor face-off C.

2. McDavid is not a physical player.

Honestly, I think this thread will be a source of ridicule in the next year or two. Currently, it's extremely close, but I seriously expect McDavid to be the indisputable best player in the league in a year or two; maybe even at some point this season.

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Matthews also had a far better rookie year. 

I have to disagree with you there. McDavid had 1.07 points per-game in his rookie season, Matthews had 0.84. Had McDavid played a full season, he would've been well over 80 points, much ahead of Matthews' 69 points.

I think the comparisons between the two are sort of dumb overall. They're both extremely talented generational players, and that's about where the similarities stop. Crosby might be the most complete player to ever play the game, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid finishes his career as the more dynamic offensive force.

Apples to oranges. It's like comparing Karlsson to Pronger.

17 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Mcdavid while very good saying he is already better than Crosby who just captained his team to back to back cups , won the art Ross, and let's be honest is very good defensively and could have some selkes under him and has perennially dominated the league for a decade , is getting a little carried away . Is he close to taking the crown ? Sure but as of now that's a bit premature.

I’m probably biased as I’ve watched a lot of McDavid (live in Edmonton) but this guy is honestly unreal. Besides being fast, he will win any battle and he won’t let the puck off his stick. 3 or four times a game he will do something that is just unbelievable like split between two defenders or shake a checker off him or skate around every opponent on the ice. If he gets the puck in his own end, you think “he is going to score a goal right now” because he’s that dangerous. 

Crosby is better at tip-ins, face offs, grinding on the boards, and play in his own end (this last one though is easily taught). But if had to pick between 21 yr old Crosby and 21 year old McDavid, I’d pick McDavid because he is impossible to stop

1 hour ago, nickels said:

You are...

So another season and another giant drool bucket over McDavid... but with all the hype I can't shake the idea that he's actually not a complete player in the mould of e.g., Sid Crosby or potentially Austin Matthews. 

no, thats a criticism of the media. 

I think I've posted enough reasons to justify those points and I'm pretty sure i didn't slag him once. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I think this thread will be a source of ridicule in the next year or two. Currently, it's extremely close, but I seriously expect McDavid to be the indisputable best player in the league in a year or two; maybe even at some point this season.

I have to disagree with you there. McDavid had 1.07 points per-game in his rookie season, Matthews had 0.84. Had McDavid played a full season, he would've been well over 80 points, much ahead of Matthews' 69 points.

he's ahead on assists, but 40 goals is pretty impressive. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

he's ahead on assists, but 40 goals is pretty impressive. 

Yeah, Matthews looks like the better goal scorer at this point for sure, but I'm curious to see if McDavid can mimic Crosby and also show that he can score goals, much like Crosby did when he first hit 51 goals.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, Matthews looks like the better goal scorer at this point for sure, but I'm curious to see if McDavid can mimic Crosby and also show that he can score goals, much like Crosby did when he first hit 51 goals.

yah well see. But don't you find it a bit interesting that McD didn't take a single face-off in their first game? Now that may actually be a smart move, it free's up McD to generate speed and also is a boost to his lines possession.  But he's not the complete player - yet - that Crosby is or AM looks to be turning into. If thats going to bring me ridicule so be it, but I think its an idea that so far can be backed up. 

It will be interesting to see if he takes any draws against us tomorrow. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yah well see. But don't you find it a bit interesting that McD didn't take a single face-off in their first game? Now that may actually be a smart move, it free's up McD to generate speed and also is a boost to his lines possession.  But he's not the complete player - yet - that Crosby is or AM looks to be turning into. If thats going to bring me ridicule so be it, but I think its an idea that so far can be backed up. 

It will be interesting to see if he takes any draws against us tomorrow. 

Indeed, I do think it's a weakness in McDavid's game. It seems a bit weak to just avoid the issue rather than face and conquer it. I'd be much more impressed if McDavid invested time into learning face-offs like Crosby did so he can be more frequently used. Crosby can be used on the penalty kill. I'm not sure McDavid could fill that role yet with his lacklustre face-off control. 

22 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's no physical threat whatsoever, we saw Kesler e.g., dominate the guy in the playoffs, and thats something he has yet to overcome. Crosby is a much more agitating player. 

On face-offs e.g., McD in his second year only took 806 draws with a 43.2% win rate, Sid in his 2nd year 1615 with a 51.3% win rate (and as improved since). McD's closer to Chaput than Crosby in this regard, with Chaput actually winning more draws. 

So for these two reasons I think we can't put McDavid in the same category as Sid or potentially Matthews, or make comparisons with the retired great's. I really feel like you have to be at least competent on draws to be in the same category as the greats. 

Sure he may end up scoring a lot of points, but unless you are a complete C I don't think the comparison with the great C's of the game are justified. 

87 is my fav since Bure, but McJesus has many things going for him that 87 didn't, including the slashing calls and faceoff stuff.

You're crystal balling it, no better or worse than USA Today has for their projections. This was done for 87 against 99 too. Its just a bit of fun and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

87 is my fav since Bure, but McJesus has many things going for him that 87 didn't, including the slashing calls and faceoff stuff.

You're crystal balling it, no better or worse than USA Today has for their projections. This was done for 87 against 99 too. Its just a bit of fun and nothing more.

oh for sure. But I do think if you're going to be held amongst the great C's of hockey, some competence in all areas is warranted. Maybe a pass on physicality, but face-offs? that seems like 2 passes to me but thats just my 2 cents. 

Bure was amazing. I don't know if he was as fast as McD, but "relative" to other players he was faster I think, just because so much of the league was so much slower. 

Archived