The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where does Toronto go from here?

rekker

Today's TSN top stories of course about the Leafs. Reilly story caught my eye about how he is turning into an offensive threat. He is. Great hockey player but yet to have an NHL season in the plus. Isn't that important for a dman? I can't believe in an offensive season like last year he couldn't get on the plus side. The Leafs still have a lot of work to do.

Over the holidays there was a comedy show and the anchorman asks about the news from the NHL,IT WAS TORONTO THIS AND TORONTO THAT NOTHING BUT TORONTO.It was most amusing,especially to all the other fans across the league.

Just like in real life,they think they are so fu#$%ing good,but they ARE NOT.

The way the media talks you would think they won a cup recently.

WHERE DOES TORONTO GO FROM HERE,I HOPE THEY GO RIGHT INTO THE DUMPER, AGAIN

ROGERS AND BELL OWN MLSE  ROGERS HAS ALL THE RIGHTS TO ALL THE SN GAMES AND THE 5.2 BILLION DOLLARS THEY PAID BETTMAN WENT RIGHT INTO THE NHL'S ACCOUNT ,AND SHARED WITH THE OWNERS ,SO WHERE EVER TORONTO'S GOING YOU JUST GOTTA KNOW THAT THEY HAVE BETTMANS FULL SUPPORT.  IT'S ALL B.S.              Over most of its 80 plus years of existence MLSE was a public company. Following the death of majority owner Harold Ballard in 1990, Steve Stavro led a controversial bid to buy the company and take it private. In 2012, the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan sold their 79.53% share of the company for $1.32 billion to a joint venture between Rogers Communications and Bell Canada, two of Canada's largest media companies, giving the company an equity value of CAD$1.66 billion and an enterprise value of CAD$2 billion.

As part of the $5.2 billion, 12-year agreement, Rogers obtains the national rights on all platforms to every NHL game through the 2025-26 campaign—including all playoff games and the Stanley Cup Final.

8 minutes ago, chon derry said:

ROGERS AND BELL OWN MLSE  ROGERS HAS ALL THE RIGHTS TO ALL THE SN GAMES AND THE 5.2 BILLION DOLLARS THEY PAID BETTMAN WENT RIGHT INTO THE NHL'S ACCOUNT ,AND SHARED WITH THE OWNERS ,SO WHERE EVER TORONTO'S GOING YOU JUST GOTTA KNOW THAT THEY HAVE BETTMANS FULL SUPPORT.  IT'S ALL B.S.              Over most of its 80 plus years of existence MLSE was a public company. Following the death of majority owner Harold Ballard in 1990, Steve Stavro led a controversial bid to buy the company and take it private. In 2012, the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan sold their 79.53% share of the company for $1.32 billion to a joint venture between Rogers Communications and Bell Canada, two of Canada's largest media companies, giving the company an equity value of CAD$1.66 billion and an enterprise value of CAD$2 billion.

As part of the $5.2 billion, 12-year agreement, Rogers obtains the national rights on all platforms to every NHL game through the 2025-26 campaign—including all playoff games and the Stanley Cup Final.

Can count the CBC right there as well. Never forget in 2011 finals when at intermission they still talked about the Leafs. Unreal. 

19 hours ago, rekker said:

Toronto is an interesting study. Are they as good as the media makes them out to be? Are the players as good as the media makes them out to be? Marner is overrated. Gardiner is overrated and cant play D. Interesting that Mathews sits somewhere around 140th in the league in PP time for forwards. Then there is the bald god Lamarillo. I remember rumour was when they signed Kovulchuk to the big contract back in Jersey Lamarillo wanted nothing to do with it. Will he give Mathews the big contract? Is he holding back Mathews PP time to hold his stats back?

KOVALCHUK'S 102 million dollar 17 years wasn't sanctioned  lamarillo and the devils were fined hugely forfeited a 3rd rd pick and were supposed lose their 2014 1st rd pick but bettman 'modified '  the penalty by giving lamirillo back his 1st rd pick  more B.S.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Today's TSN top stories of course about the Leafs. Reilly story caught my eye about how he is turning into an offensive threat. He is. Great hockey player but yet to have an NHL season in the plus. Isn't that important for a dman? I can't believe in an offensive season like last year he couldn't get on the plus side. The Leafs still have a lot of work to do.

+/- is an unreliable stat for judging the worth of players. For one it fails to adjust for competition, if you are going up against the other team's top line every night then you are going to end up with more minuses just because the best players are harder to shutdown. Assuming a player is a team's best offensive defenseman then that player will be out there at the end of games and will end up eating a few minuses from empty net goals. 

19 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Babcock is pretty strong headed. Lou is not in his ear about anything, and if he his, Mike has tuned him out. The problem is the defense. Its bad. The only top 4 guy they have is Reilly and he is a borderline #2 defenseman.

And no Liljigren is not the answer. They need a guy that can play the tough minutes. That is why we are so fortunate in Vancouver having Chris Tanev

I wouldn't call three straight top 5 picks, being fortunate.   I'd rather have the Leafs' problems than ours.

Leaf's problems are amplified by Marner's sophomore slump and Matthews injuries.   Yet, they are still in the playoff pictures.  Once Matthews is back on his game, they will turns this thing around. 

On the other side, Morgan Reilly has really turn the corner a 1st pairing D, he might not be a Norris candidate, but he's having a career year.  I should know, I had him in my pool early in the season and he started producing once I dropped him!!!

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

KOVALCHUK'S 102 million dollar 17 years wasn't sanctioned  lamarillo and the devils were fined hugely forfeited a 3rd rd pick and were supposed lose their 2014 1st rd pick but bettman 'modified '  the penalty by giving lamirillo back his 1st rd pick  more B.S.

I disagree with this. The penalty itself was ridiculous. Yes the Devils pushed the cap manipulation to its limits but teams were already manipulating the cap but were unpunished. All the league had to do was reject the contract and make them draw up a new one with more acceptable terms but Bettman chose to fine and dock draft picks. Devils fans are still pissed over the injustice of it all and I can't blame them, I believe they lost something like 20 spots on their 1st round pick while teams like Chicago and Detroit won Cups through their cap manipulation of contracts like Keith, Hossa, Zetterberg, Franzen etc. NJ Devils were docked draft picks and they lost that same player a few years later for nothing. The Devils should never have accepted the league's ruling and appealed that the contract was perfectly legal and within the limits of the CBA.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Erik Karlsson is in the + once every two years.  Karlsson had the luxury of playing with veteran, defensive minded players like Phillips and Methot.  Reilley has been alone on that back end since he came in. 

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

I disagree with this. The penalty itself was ridiculous. Yes the Devils pushed the cap manipulation to its limits but teams were already manipulating the cap but were unpunished. All the league had to do was reject the contract and make them draw up a new one with more acceptable terms but Bettman chose to fine and dock draft picks. Devils fans are still pissed over the injustice of it all and I can't blame them, I believe they lost something like 20 spots on their 1st round pick while teams like Chicago and Detroit won Cups through their cap manipulation of contracts like Keith, Hossa, Zetterberg, Franzen etc. NJ Devils were docked draft picks and they lost that same player a few years later for nothing. The Devils should never have accepted the league's ruling and appealed that the contract was perfectly legal and within the limits of the CBA.

the modified penalty that turned out to be 30th oa and was a bad pick.  hockey  karma. the only reason I posted lamirillo and the devils ,was the shadiness of 'the contract' and the shadiness of the NHL in how they dealt with it, and how lamirillo now with the leafs , linking rogers tv deal , rogers owning mlse. OF WHICH  bettman's NHL surely benefited.  for me its all weird coincidence.

33 minutes ago, Toews said:

I disagree with this , the only thing ridiculous was the 'contract' itself given the player involved that's a little hind sight but he was a flake prior to the contract and overwhelmingly proved it by bailing on the contract.. anything subsequent from it should have been president setting.

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

Total BS. NHLPA turning a blind eye to his trap door player treatment and how he handled Corrado. If he was the Canucks GM we would never heard the end of it. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

+/- is an unreliable stat for judging the worth of players. For one it fails to adjust for competition, if you are going up against the other team's top line every night then you are going to end up with more minuses just because the best players are harder to shutdown. Assuming a player is a team's best offensive defenseman then that player will be out there at the end of games and will end up eating a few minuses from empty net goals. 

I agree not the end all B all. But he has never been a plus. Ever. 

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Erik Karlsson is in the + once every two years.  Karlsson had the luxury of playing with veteran, defensive minded players like Phillips and Methot.  Reilley has been alone on that back end since he came in. 

Or maybe both players are a little overrated?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Hence why TO has a lot of work to do. I do think Reilly is a heck of a player. Just not a Norris guy yet. But I'm guessing TSN will put him in the conversation soon......

I think the leafs are in trouble going forward. Last year they were able to surprise a lot of teams, and A.M carried the team on his back most nights. If I were A leafs fan I would be concerned about the fact they have A terrible defence core with very little in the pipeline. The signing of Patrick was A terrible waste of money and I think will hamper the rebuild. The w3ay this team is set up now see A team that will on nights look unstoppable but when you look at them closely you realize this team needs A lot of work. Thing is they don't have a lot of cap space or stud prospects in the pipeline. 

Let's not forget the elephant in the room. it was leaked a couple months ago that A.M has no desire to talk longterm with the leafs at this point., leaving him open to speculation that he wants to play in the States. Im not saying that is true only that its out there. 

In the end, all I can say is I believe that the leafs are close to their ceiling. They have terrible defence A bunch of small forwards who play to their size. no cap room and not much in the way of prospects. If the leaf fans are counting on Lilegren to be their saviour. they're in trouble no hockey IQ at all. Another jake Gardiner if you ask me. I admit I hate them. but im not saying this out of hate more of A cautionary tale. Thank god for GMJB what he has done is remarkable. Shedding the old skin, while stocking the cupboards and still giving us A team that is fun to watch plays hard all in a positive environment our young guns need to flourish. Cheers Ps look at tge Jets. They started the rebuild roughly same time as them. yet their miles ahead with A much smaller payroll.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

Can we just once have A topic that doesn't morph into something altogether different? This isn't about the devils and lou. I swear half the people on here have the attention span of A fly

13 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I think the leafs are in trouble going forward. Last year they were able to surprise a lot of teams, and A.M carried the team on his back most nights. If I were A leafs fan I would be concerned about the fact they have A terrible defence core with very little in the pipeline. The signing of Patrick was A terrible waste of money and I think will hamper the rebuild. The w3ay this team is set up now see A team that will on nights look unstoppable but when you look at them closely you realize this team needs A lot of work. Thing is they don't have a lot of cap space or stud prospects in the pipeline. 

Let's not forget the elephant in the room. it was leaked a couple months ago that A.M has no desire to talk longterm with the leafs at this point., leaving him open to speculation that he wants to play in the States. Im not saying that is true only that its out there. 

In the end, all I can say is I believe that the leafs are close to their ceiling. They have terrible defence A bunch of small forwards who play to their size. no cap room and not much in the way of prospects. If the leaf fans are counting on Lilegren to be their saviour. they're in trouble no hockey IQ at all. Another jake Gardiner if you ask me. I admit I hate them. but im not saying this out of hate more of A cautionary tale. Thank god for GMJB what he has done is remarkable. Shedding the old skin, while stocking the cupboards and still giving us A team that is fun to watch plays hard all in a positive environment our young guns need to flourish. Cheers Ps look at tge Jets. They started the rebuild roughly same time as them. yet their miles ahead with A much smaller payroll.

Marleu signing was a huge gaff. They needed D. Two more years after this one for that deal. Didn't hear those rumours about AM. That would serve TO right. They outright tanked for the pick and lucked out on lottery day. I love your point of view on this and I find it interesting to have never read anything on the web that in anyway mirrors your thoughts. Seems the groupie TO media darlings are to afraid to write an article with some doubt or substance on what is going on in Laff Land. 

33 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Can we just once have A topic that doesn't morph into something altogether different? This isn't about the devils and lou. I swear half the people on here have the attention span of A fly

who's the gm of the  maple leafs? does his history mean anything to you? just trying to provide some context , but your right some  people don't have a very big attention span !  given your poor post/rep ratio , apparently people don't really like what you have to say either .

Archived