The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where does Toronto go from here?

rekker

If Toronto can be smart about their contracts and not over pay on older players then they'll be good in a couple years. I still think they need some more time. Marner needs to be consistent and play D. We'll they need to play Matthews more on the pp. Overall Toronto can't win now but in a few years and they still have their young core together then they can challenge for the cup.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Latest TSN headline about Babcock having a tear in his eye when Leafs won the draft lottery. Oh jeez. That's a story? They won that lottery a year and a half ago. 

Well it did get you to bump a thread from a few weeks ago. :P

• 3 weeks later...

So Boston gets more scoring, Tampa Bay gets even more talented. Pitts looking so strong down their centers. TO get Plekanak which helps. I wonder if TO will ever be able to get to the level of the top tier teams. They need D. Kind of like Winnipeg in the 80's. Great team but never we'e  never going to beat the Oilers or Flames. 

• 3 weeks later...

So what if Toronto signs Tavares. Possibility is definately there. It would be to tough to fit JT and Mathews et all under the cap soon enough. If I'm TO and I sign JT it would of been on the premise that I had talked to Arizona earlier. Yotes would give anything for Mathews. OEL and Domi and a first I bet. TO could probably fit OEL, JT et all under the cap. Would be a heck of a team. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

So what if Toronto signs Tavares. Possibility is definately there. It would be to tough to fit JT and Mathews et all under the cap soon enough. If I'm TO and I sign JT it would of been on the premise that I had talked to Arizona earlier. Yotes would give anything for Mathews. OEL and Domi and a first I bet. TO could probably fit OEL, JT et all under the cap. Would be a heck of a team. 

If JT goes to free agency it'll be hard to turn down the insane offer he'll get from Montreal.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:11 AM, rekker said:

So Boston gets more scoring, Tampa Bay gets even more talented. Pitts looking so strong down their centers. TO get Plekanak which helps. I wonder if TO will ever be able to get to the level of the top tier teams. They need D. Kind of like Winnipeg in the 80's. Great team but never we'e  never going to beat the Oilers or Flames. 

Oh they definitely will, just not this year. Their best players are only 20 and they're only improving. Toronto is still technically rebuilding as well.

22 minutes ago, Xbox said:

If JT goes to free agency it'll be hard to turn down the insane offer he'll get from Montreal.

Oh they definitely will, just not this year. Their best players are only 20 and they're only improving. Toronto is still technically rebuilding as well.

Montreal is such a mess I don't see him there. TO just makes more sense.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hmmm. Nylander still in Sweden and not even in North America yet for camp. Funny how the the Leafs booster club TSN doesnt talk much about this. Maybe this isn't going well? 

Yes, this 'deafening silence' is perhaps a sign that the Stroumboulopoulos crowd are chewing their finger nails nervously. If a contract does get signed, it will be like a forest of cicadas erupting ! Still waiting for our next Stanley Cup champs to improve their defence !

22 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Yes, this 'deafening silence' is perhaps a sign that the Stroumboulopoulos crowd are chewing their finger nails nervously. If a contract does get signed, it will be like a forest of cicadas erupting ! Still waiting for our next Stanley Cup champs to improve their defence !

Lol. All I keep hearing is how Dubas promised to keep the big three all signed. Fair enough. But what about the D? Gardiner is up at the end of next year as well. My guess is TO wants to bridge Nylander on the cheap but Nylander's camp isn't biting. Nor should they. The kid put up numbers and deserves the money. 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:20 PM, rekker said:

They can't afford to upgrade their D and keep JVR. They will miss him. 

Didn't keep JVR but didn't upgrade D either, just spent more on forwards, again.  Yet they say Vegas has them as "odd-on cup favourites".

Sorry, not with a defense featuring Zaitsev, Hainsey, Carrick, and Gardiner.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Didn't keep JVR but didn't upgrade D either, just spent more on forwards, again.  Yet they say Vegas has them as "odd-on cup favourites".

Sorry, not with a defense featuring Zaitsev, Hainsey, Carrick, and Gardiner.

Also losing Polak, Martin, Komarov is losing a lot of grit. Kadri going to be able to pull his usual crap? Probably not because he will be too busy pulling defensive center duties now that one of their best defensive centers in Bozak is gone. Hainsy? How old is he? Cup favourites? Please, get real oddsmakers. 

Archived