The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jan's 1st try at the 2018 Draft 1st Round Predictions

Maybe my last! LOL

1.    Sabres          Dahlin             LHD       Obvious choice, he is elite*, Buffalo needs Defense, number 1 defense on all boards

2.    Carolina        Svechnikov     RW        Carolina needs scoring, they get scoring, and almost a 1b draft pick

3.    Montreal        Zadina            LW         Montreal needs everything.......scoring mostly, Zadina plays offense and a 200 ft. game

4.    Ottawa          Wahlstrom      RW/C     Ottawa needs everything and Wahlstrom is another sniper,they have 2 good defenseman,they just have to sign one of them

5.    Coyotes        Tkachuk          C/LW      Missed out on Austin, so Tkachuk, gives them a familiar name, that has skill, size and speed, could go at # 3

6.    Red Wings    Hughes           LHD        Detroit fans know Hughes, and he is an elite Offensive Dman, do you think they need offense?

7.    Canucks        Bouchard        RHD       Canucks need some Offense from the back side, I think Benning wants a big RHD.....Bouchard skating is under-rated

8.    Hawks           Dobson           RHD       The Hawks are in the start of a retool, Defense first! Could be a Canuck at #7, the Hawks are happy!

9.    Rangers        Kotkaniemi      LW/C      Rangers could go with a Dman, but I think Kotkaniemi has raised some eyebrows...he may go higher

10.  Oilers             Boqvist           RHD       This pick falls right into the Coilers lap, but Boqvist has issues......cananyone sat Liljegren? LOL

11.  Islanders        Smith              LHD       Oilers have been watching Smith all year, he could be an Oiler.....but if he falls Smith will be an Islander...he is under-rated

12.  Islanders        Farabee          LW         With their 2nd pick, the Islanders take Farabee.......they need LW'ers + Dmen.......they take Farabee

13.  Stars              Veleno            C             Big, fast and solid at #13....stars need a Center to replace Spezza

14.  Flyers             Hayton            C            The Flyers have enough Dmen, and Hayton has skill and will help the Flyers fill their forward depth

15.  Florida            McIsaac          LHD       Weaker on the Left side.......they have plenty of forwards.......this is for the future! 

16.  Colorado        Wilde               RHD       Defense first.....Colorado has plenty of LHD and a young Forward group......This makes sense

17.  Devils             Noel                RW         Noel is a great player, and has a 200 foot game, the Devils take the BPA

18.  CBJ                Kupari             C             Kupari falls a little, because others have risen.........BPA

19.  Flyers             Lundestrom     LW/C      Filling those forwards cupboards! Versitile player! BPA

20.  Kings              Miller               LHD        Big and mean, with offensive upside.....not bad for a mid 1st....skates well for a big man

21.  Sharks            Merkley           RHD       Wild card of the first round...could end up being the best Dman of the draft, if he learns the defensive side, great skater

22.  Ottawa            Sandin            LHD        Solid picks are getting thinner, Sandin has some flaws, but there is no denying his skill

23.  Ducks              McLeod          C/LW      McLeod could go to Ottawa, but if he doesn't the Ducks need to rebuild their Center position

24.  Wild                 Denisenko      LW          Best player left by far.....the Wild need offense............BPA

25.  Leafs               Woo                RHD       Again, the Leafs target a defenseman, if they keep the pick....I like Woo, good strong journeyman with a lot of upside

26.  Caps                Kaut                RW         I don't know much about Kaut, other than he is ranked higher....I will give him he nod over Bokk, and the Wings thank me

27.  Red Wings       Bokk               RW         Again, really good reviews, and could go higher

28.  Rangers           Hallender        C/LW     Rangers need to rebuild the forwards Hallender is a speedy winger at the NHL level

29.  Rangers           Olofsson          C           Rangers could go for a Dman ranked in the 2nd round on this one...actually makes sense......but Olofsson is the BPA?

30.  Blues                McBain            C           The Blues take a center, or a goalie, or a Dman, but McBain is the BPA....they are not in rebuild, yet!

31.  Hawks              Kravtsov          RW        The Hawks are smart, and take Kravtsov, or  one of 20 other guys, right behind him, but he is the BPA, according to some

Well, that is about it...I have trouble with trades, so I would imagine this isn't much better, but it was fun reading up on these prospects.......I kind of lost it at about #28, so sorry Ranger fans, but it gets a little confusing, for an old guy like me, by that point. as I say, there is lots of alternate picks by then....seen some great D prospects, that could fall into the bottom of the first round, and I wouldn't argue.......

OK, flame away!........I am happy anyways!.............I really had a problem deciding between  Bouchard and Dobson...........I like them both........but I went with Bouchard's offense

Not so easy being a GM at the draft table......where is Fin?

PS..........Dahlin is "elite" until he proves he is generational.....some 4 or 5 years from now......unless he skates through entire teams at 18, like Bobby Orr did.....then he is generational.

People are way too generous with the terminology. 

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

pretty good @janisahockeynut

I prefer Dobson.

Think Markley and Miller too high. Samuelsson should be in this list? Kravtsov higher. Lundkvist?

Hmmmm, thanks Surfer.....I liked Samuelson too, and one or 2 of the lower forwards could easily be changed over for Dmen...for sure!

I have seen Miller a little lower as well, but I think Miller and LA is a match made in heaven.....don't you think?

Regarding Kravtsov and Lundkvist............yes, this is harder than it looks.......I have no idea on how some of you keep all these guys straight in your head.....

PS.........regarding Dobson/Bouchard...........I am very torn over them...........one more offense, one better defense........from what I have heard, Bouchard skating is no an issue, and is about average, just not to the same degree as Dobson, Boqvist, and Hughes.......which are all different as well........

I may never second guess another GM at the draft again! LOL....this is work! LOL

14 minutes ago, logic said:

I could see Boqvist dropping to 10,  Wahlstrom at 4 is definitely a slight stretch

Thanks Logic

I thought about flipping Hughes and Wahlstrom around......

I just think Hughes carries a little more risk, albeit,  Wahlstrom has a slightly lower ceiling

It could go either way, IMO

Look at me, sounding like I know what I am talking about.......but that is what I got

Yeah, Boqvist is just a big question for me.............I heard Button's interview the other day.........not so hot on hm..........I think he slides

good attempt. it is as good as anybody elses try. will probably be different on gm's lists but who knows, you might be dead on. our lists are deducted from what we read or clips we see, where as, teams lists are derived from a season of watching all the prospects.  i give you a b+.

I think Zadina is a tad overhyped and I see MTL taking Tkachuk, they need centres.  I hope the Canucks acquire a mid first pick to take Noel as well as whoever is BPA at 7.

1.    Sabres          Dahlin            

2.    Carolina        Svechnikov         

3.    Montreal        Zadina                    

4.    Ottawa          Tkachuk             

5.    Coyotes        Hughes                

6.    Red Wings    Boqvist               

7.    Canucks        Wahlstrom          

Archived