The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Balanced Scoring & Sandpaper!

Uber Dave

After Boeser's valiant, but feeble, attempt to send a message to Tampa Bay by fighting from his butt, we need to really consider protecting these assets that can so easily embarrass other teams. (Petey/ Boes) and move some other assets for picks in the upcoming draft.

Baer - Horvat - Goldy

Boes - Petey - JV18

Leivo - Gaude - Loui

Schaller - Beags - Rouss

Fire Sale for picks:

Motte, Sutter, Grandlund, Nilsson, Del Zotto, Puliot, Edler, Tanev, 

19 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Canucks gets a 2nd round pick, 2 fourths and a conditional 7th for the lot

Maybe a couple more 2nds?  I agree with your point though: we never get as much as we think we deserve for our extras.   Tanev and Edler are not worthless though, maybe 2 2nds right there.

1 hour ago, Uber Dave said:

After Boeser's valiant, but feeble, attempt to send a message to Tampa Bay by fighting from his butt, we need to really consider protecting these assets that can so easily embarrass other teams. (Petey/ Boes) and move some other assets for picks in the upcoming draft.

Baer - Horvat - Goldy

Boes - Petey - JV18

Leivo - Gaude - Loui

Schaller - Beags - Rouss

Fire Sale for picks:

i'ld keep motte, sutter and granlund and move baertschi, goldobin and schaller to the trade list. 

as far as tanev and edler are concerned, we shouldn't move them unless we are replacing them with other strong defensemen. if next year hughes and juolevi got hurt, we would be in big trouble. maybe just move one of them. 

hopefully next season, dahlen can join bo, petey, jake, leivo and boeser in the top six. 

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld keep motte, sutter and granlund and move baertschi, goldobin and schaller to the trade list. 

as far as tanev and edler are concerned, we shouldn't move them unless we are replacing them with other strong defensemen. if next year hughes and juolevi got hurt, we would be in big trouble. maybe just move one of them. 

hopefully next season, dahlen can join bo, petey, jake, leivo and boeser in the top six. 

Will Dahlen be better than Goldobin?  Lind better than Baertschi?  Unless both sets of players are here at the same time it could be difficult to compare them. 

Nevertheless, your point is well taken: in the long run we only need 7 or 8 top 6 style players.  And we don't have enough of either the Marner style winger that is more like a center, nor enough of the thumping sized wingers who can retrieve and shield pucks. 

The problem with Schaller is interesting: no way that this guy is going to equal last year's production with the Bruins.  Complete mystery to me what's wrong with this guy.  Maybe Motte is just that much better than him, and has in effect replaced him. 

Your point about Edler and Tanev is interesting too: D get injured early and often on this team, do we really want to get rid of both Edler and Tanev.  I can see the trade value in one of them for sure.  Edler is better offensively right now, Tanev better defensively.  But Tanev has more upside, so maybe keep him.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Maybe a couple more 2nds?  I agree with your point though: we never get as much as we think we deserve for our extras.   Tanev and Edler are not worthless though, maybe 2 2nds right there.

I think a guy like Edler could get a late first Tanev maybe a 2nd+4th or something. I was sorta saying it tougnue in cheek :P

I am confused... the sentiment of your post is that we need to add toughness in our lineup.  Then you say that we need to trade half of our lineup for picks.  

A 7th round pick in 2020 is not going to protect Boeser against the Winnipeg Jets this January.  

I also don't like any proposals that involve getting rid of our already depleted defence.  You're sending the wrong message to Petey, Bo and Brock.  They're here to build a winner, not waste their prime years delaying the rebuild.  We won't be able to replace Edler and Tanev if we trade them away.  Hughes and Brisebois are the only two guys that might be ready for prime time next year and there's no way that they'll be able to handle defending against the other team's top lines. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I am confused... the sentiment of your post is that we need to add toughness in our lineup.  Then you say that we need to trade half of our lineup for picks.  

A 7th round pick in 2020 is not going to protect Boeser against the Winnipeg Jets this January.  

I also don't like any proposals that involve getting rid of our already depleted defence.  You're sending the wrong message to Petey, Bo and Brock.  They're here to build a winner, not waste their prime years delaying the rebuild.  We won't be able to replace Edler and Tanev if we trade them away.  Hughes and Brisebois are the only two guys that might be ready for prime time next year and there's no way that they'll be able to handle defending against the other team's top lines. 

Woo and Juolevi look better than Brisebois, imo; and Tryamkin might be available.   ON PAPER, lol, these guys along with Hughes can replace Edler, Tanev and Biega.   Hughes won't "defend" like Edler or even Tanev.  And he won't even be as physical as Stecher, let alone Biega or Gudbranson.   He will defend like Orr, Housley and Leetch did: using brains, skating ability and the fact that he'll have the puck a lot of the time himself.  Whether he can defend sufficiently will be seen soon enough.  I would love to refer to a contemporary defenseman who can defend like Orr and Housley did, but none come to mind.  (Ellis in Nashville?  Subban? Not sure.) 

Like you, I would still rather keep one of Edler and Tanev, to play it safe. You have to admit though: wouldn't it be nice to get a return on one of these guys rather than end up in a Hamhuis situation? 

A tough physical player who would happily defend Pettersson, Boeser and now Hughes could probably be picked up in free agency.  Or drafted perhaps, although that would be slower.  Ryan Reeves comes to mind... maybe a D man who plays 10 minutes a game but is a huge physical force/fighter.  I don't even know where we would find one.  Worth trying though.

3 hours ago, Uber Dave said:

Baer - Horvat - Goldy

Boes - Petey - JV18

Leivo - Gaude - Loui

Schaller - Beags - Rouss

Fire Sale for picks:

A contending team might just pay a young (potential) star D man, or a young (potentially) tough winger for Sutter, Tanev, or both (if packaged together.  The rest on your list are worth nothing (IMO) except Edler, who I think we should keep.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A contending team might just pay a young (potential) star D man, or a young (potentially) tough winger for Sutter, Tanev, or both (if packaged together.  The rest on your list are worth nothing (IMO) except Edler, who I think we should keep.  

You may be right -- TDL comes to mind for this.  But the writer's original point is valid: how do we get our hands on a Semenko?  Do they even make players like this anymore? 

Just now, gameburn said:

You may be right -- TDL comes to mind for this.  But the writer's original point is valid: how do we get our hands on a Semenko?  Do they even make players like this anymore? 

Guys, who can play, and be big boppers are few and far between now, aren’t they?  We do have Guddy, which is a blessing.  I hope he teaches Jake to throw ‘em.  Jake could be a big time player, if he could chuck knuckles with the big boys.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys, who can play, and be big boppers are few and far between now, aren’t they?  We do have Guddy, which is a blessing.  I hope he teaches Jake to throw ‘em.  Jake could be a big time player, if he could chuck knuckles with the big boys.  

He may already be too good to waste on that.  He's starting to make plays, discover his game all over again.  Have you seen his ability to back up D, chase down guys on the backcheck?  It's like he's a new player.  

Just now, gameburn said:

He may already be too good to waste on that.  He's starting to make plays, discover his game all over again.  Have you seen his ability to back up D, chase down guys on the backcheck?  It's like he's a new player.  

Shanahan, and Iginla could go with the best.  I’d like to see Jake go toe to toe with some middleweights.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You reminded me of something: remember when Bo got into a fight -- mostly to defend himself if I remember right -- but it turned out he could throw them.  Hasn't been bullied lately, have you noticed?  I suspect he added 2 years to his career and avoided 20 cheapshots already.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree a tough team is vital! However, I think Beagle is a tough player. Guddy is big but he fights scarred. There are much smaller players than him who play way bigger.

Archived