The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Defense: Juolevi, Woo

Rate this topic

JJP

JB has made some mistakes I agree but is doing a fair job . JB should have bit the bullet and traded for another 2nd or two. Come on, if you team is not good enough to win it all than you should be trying to acquire pieces that will . Draft draft draft .

On 6/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, JJP said:

Do we want Tanev traded though? 

He is one of our most stable defensive defensemen 

He is but unless we have more depth at D to cover his injury time and we don't collapse if and when we get injuries up the yang as usual so we don't drop out of a playoff race as usual... if it always has to boil down to that i'd say trade him to a contender if they want him, so at least he has a chance at a cup ring but like edler i doubt he'd get more than a 2 yr extension if he were to stay but somehow i hope JB can sign someone who can play up and down the D pairings as needed so we can actually get somewhere instead of out of post season run...

Just listened to Trent Cull’s interview (our AHL coach) and he said that it will take two more months for Juolevi to just get back to his old form before the injury. 

I can’t see him in a Canucks lineup until after Christmas and even that’s not guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

JB has made some mistakes I agree but is doing a fair job . JB should have bit the bullet and traded for another 2nd or two. Come on, if you team is not good enough to win it all than you should be trying to acquire pieces that will . Draft draft draft .

You can’t just draft forever though... we need to make the playoffs next year. 

Bo must be near the end of his patience, having lost so much over the last four years. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Bo must be near the end of his patience, having lost so much over the last four years. 

No unless he's pretending on twitter,

To "so and so" welcome to the team etc etc... kind of thing a unofficial captain does and he knows help is on the way, he is watching it all and you can't tell me that he hasn't talked to JB and JB pointing out what the plan is and how it will pan out if things go relative and making his money isn't exactly chump change either!  Just sayin! Seems to me he knows what's going on and is ok with it.

On 6/20/2019 at 4:30 PM, JJP said:

Thanks for that 

Going off of the lineup you projected 

do you think stecher is a decent, reliable d for bottom paring? 

Ideally Stetcher would be in our third pairing RHD....that means we have better guys above him.   Even better Tanev is a second pairing defenseman for the same reason....and on the left side Hutton is the extra man for the same reasons 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I bet he’s as stoked as anyone on our team that we won’t have to wait three-six years to see whatever we may have picked instead... for Miller.   And he’s aggressive, takes draws and defensively responsible (and eases the PK, was one of the best on the best PK in the league).  

The only guy that’s maybe not happy about this is the guy that gets bumped out down off the depth chart...

Ideally Right now 

Edler - ?

Hughes - ? 

OJ - ? Or ? - Stetcher as third pairing. 

Can’t have OJ or Stetcher top 4 and I don’t see them as a pair.

I love Hutton (great off ice team guy) but he’s unfortunately not a playoff battler imo.

Tanev solid but can’t stay healthy and his contract is expiring so trade him while we can. I like Tanev but he’s too beat up. 

Tryamkin, Rathbone, Woo are all Added in the near future in that order in a timeline.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is everyone is back, with a minor change:

Edler - UFA

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Biega

Tryamkin*

And your probably 100% correct.....I totally see that happening. It’s the most Do able.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is everyone is back, with a minor change:

Edler - UFA

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Biega

Tryamkin*

That would be a major change really though...someone capable of bumping Tanev down has to be pretty good, and Hutton as our third pairing guy is a big upgrade too.  Way better then what we started with last year..one can hope this happens...also OK with Hutton getting bumped out too, he’s a tradeable asset that would also help us going forward with the right deal.

I'm kind of wondering if the Canucks should try and re-sign Hutton. He's not worth $4 yet, but he had a good year last season and he could only get better with maturity. Dmen aren't cheap, and I don't really want the Canucks to sign a player like Myers for $6-7. It sounds like Benning may sign a Dman with a reasonable salary (Nemeth, Benn, Chiarot, etc) instead of going after the big ticket D. They really need to trade Eriksson and Sutter. Even for a couple of 4th-5th rounders. They might not have a 1st next year, so acquiring picks would be good.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:03 PM, JJP said:

With Juolevi starting to skate from his knee injury, I was curious what the chances were of seeing him on the opening night roster (assuming he doesn't get traded). 

Is Juolevi and/or Woo able to play at the NHL next year, or are we to expect a couple of more years of development? 

Also, if they are not ready, who is expected to slide in the lineup for the empty spots (now that Pouleo and Guddy is gone?)  

Edler         

Tanev (?) 

Hughes          

Stetcher 

Hutton (?)

?

---

Juolevi 

Woo 

Are we trying to add one or two more defensemen after Edler signing? 

(My first post on the forum so don't bash me too hard :O ) 

Fair questions.  

I believe that JB wants to add 2 FA d men.  One higher end guy, either Myers or Gardiner.  

I was listening to a radio clip out east with Ray Feraro saying that he would take Gardiner over Myers.  I don't see it personally but I know alot less than Ray.  

I also see a strong possibility that a Jordie Benn player gets signed to shore up our depth.  

As for OJ and Woo.  

I, like others think that OJ will be given every shot to make the club in the coming few years.  His skill is there, he now has NHL size and skating.   Health is my only real concern and I could see him stepped into the lineup.  The club really believes in both Hughes and OJ.  They just let Hutton go to FA so that itself is telling.  

As for Woo.  Give him a 9 game stint.  It shows the player why he must commit himself to hockey.  It will only make Woo a better player. 

If Woo exceeds expectations, then talk about whether he stays or goes back down.  We can always Driasitl him at 40 games if need be.  

Added tidbit of speculation.  I could see JB going wild at FA d men this year and trying to both add Myers and Gardiner or getting one and trading Tanev.  

Unloading Tanev for Zaitsev and a pick plus Connor Brown would be decent.  (SUB IN THE PICK AND OR OTHER ASSET COMING BACK...)  

TO would bring in a guy that would be a Babcock player.  Less travel would likely improve Tanevs durability.  A Tanev Muzzin Pairing would be  good shut down unit.  

Zaitzev is no Tanev, but Myers could take the harder minutes that Tanev took.  

For those guys knocking Zaitzev, you may be right, but I see him as a bounceback candidate on another club.  He is a ruskie which is a signal to our Russian prospects and he has a cap friendly deal for 5 more years.  

Tanev is in TO's budget and helps them in a key weak spot.  

Cost certainty is going to be attractive to our GM very soon.  

Edited by Phat Fingers