The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) RD Depth

Rate this topic

Bure_Pavel

It is also worth mentioning; Ehrhoff was an elite offensive & power play D man.  So-so in his own end.  Maybe not so pronounced as Ristolainen, but still.

And on a team with effective defensive D, an elite PP QB was a useful weapon!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I would say they got it right.

Agent is convinced Ristolainen's days in Buffalo are numbered.  They currently have a top 3 right side in the NHL?

Ristolainen, Bogosian, Montour, Colin Miller & rookie Jokiharju are all NHL calibre D.  Bogosian to an extent & Jokiharju known for some defence inclusive?

It does look like a team we could make a trade with.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Agent is convinced Ristolainen's days in Buffalo are numbered.  They currently have a top 3 right side in the NHL?

Ristolainen, Bogosian, Montour, Colin Miller & rookie Jokiharju are all NHL calibre D.  Bogosian to an extent & Jokiharju known for some defence inclusive?

It does look like a team we could make a trade with.

idk, he seems to be a Hutton type, where steady "D" men are what is needed to defend and protect the net.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

idk, he seems to be a Hutton type, where steady "D" men are what is needed to defend and protect the net.

Best defense is a good offense.

Plus we already have 'steady' D (and they're easier and cheaper to find and acquire), we could use some more 'dynamism' beyond rookie Hughes.

Ristolainen's defense is only 'ok'. The reason for his +/- is pretty clearly his poor defensively team with no Sutter or Beagle type players to support defensive zone play. That and having him in a role ill suited to his talents. They have him playing the big minute, match up role Edler plays here. If we did theoretically trade for him, he would not be burdened with that role as we'd have Edler-Myers (and to a lesser extent Benn-Stecher) to play those harder minutes. He'd thrive in a 2nd pair offensive role here IMO.

Robbing Peter to pay Parjeevan:  

Given our severe lack of organisational depth on the back-end, I’m almost wondering if it would be worth it on our end to package the two of/

-Adam Gaudette

-Tyler Madden

to a team that has a very (very) good young defensive prospects, but sorely lack Center prospects.   

I’m not sure if there is a team out there that fits the above description but if there is, I’s Definitely be open to having a discussion.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:15 PM, Jaku said:

I'm going to debate that Woo is closer than we think. Over a PPG in the WHL, already has NHL size and has improved his skating to pro-ready. I believe Jett gets a look this season.

Could I be reaching? Sure. But, the way he conducts himself on the ice and his play speaks volumes. If he doesn't make the NHL he'll miss it by the skin of his teeth. 

No need to rush him let him dominate in the WHL, get even stronger, and hopefully avoid injury.

I like it much better now. Myers, Stecher & Tanev should all be able to play in the top 4 if need be. And Benn's versatiliy is nice for when injuries hit.

Biegas a solid 7, Rafferty looked good in his limited time.

Im more 'concerned' (for lack of a better term) about the left side & how Hughes/Benn are going to hold up behind Edler.