The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers re-sign Jacob Trouba

I feel like everyone’s overrating Trouba in this thread.  

He’s a solid d-man, on par with Ryan Ellis or Alex Edler at his peak.  

8 mil/season is getting up there though, you guys think he’s worth it for the next 7 years?  

I don’t think he’s worth it today, but if the cap keeps going up then I think he’ll be okay in terms of the cap hit. 

People call me crazy but I think Hughes and Tryamkin are already better than Trouba and i was hoping we wouldnt give up anything for him. Im on the over rated side of the fence, hopefully for the Rangers sake he proves me wrong

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

People call me crazy but I think Hughes and Tryamkin are already better than Trouba and i was hoping we wouldnt give up anything for him. Im on the over rated side of the fence, hopefully for the Rangers sake he proves me wrong

that-boy-is-5c05f9.jpg.b8fa530d91fa8e53548da8663809f6bf.jpg

8 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

You would take an aging 33 (34 year old next month) recently injury prone dman who's missed 80 games in the past 2 seasons over a 25 year old Trouba?  Weber is on the decline and Trouba is in his prime. I know you mentioned building a team to win now but with Weber's foot issues, I would go with Trouba.

6'4 229 Weber - 58GP 14G, 19A, 33Pts +15

6'3 202 Trouba- 82 GP, 8 G, 42A, 50Pts. +8

Both physical of course.

I am not sure what you mean by me first American attitude?  Ryan Kesler was Ryan Kesler.  Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg because of his wife's career situation and he had to play on the left side (as they had enough right handed shots on the depth chart.) 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/jacob-trouba-trade-rangers-winnipeg-1.32576195

Oh I get the age factor but like I said, in a win now situation, Weber is simply the better player. Weber's leadership on top of being one of the best defensemen in the league really sets him apart from most players in my opinion. 

I remember asking Dan Hamhuis about Weber the day Weber was traded for Subban and he just shook his head. He said Nashville was crazy because Weber was the ultimate teammate and leader. Something I've never heard about Trouba. 

Winnipeg wanted him on their team. Drafted him #9 overall and gave him plenty of ice time to develop into the player he is today. For a kid to request a trade at 23 years old and try to specify where he wants to end up is selfish entitlement. He hadn't earned a damn thing the first time he want out.

Regarding their production, Weber scored at a 47 point pace. Not exactly declining production if you ask me. And while he's had a couple injuries over the last two years, Trouba has only played a full season twice in 6 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, for team rebuilding I'd love to have a player like Trouba but as of right now, Weber is still the better player.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The irony. You say it’s asking a lot of Myers then turn around and say Quinn a first year player can do it. 

This forum sometimes 

Assuming QH settles in on the first PP unit I think he's a hell of a lot more likely to hit 50 than Myers. Don't you? 

On 7/19/2019 at 5:22 PM, Maketherightmove said:

You're asking a lot. Myers is likely a 35 point guy, but he wasn't brought here to be a 50+ point guy. Quinn has that role covered. 

Let Myers do the heavy lifting on a Hughes Myers pairing.  He should see an uptick in production just playing with Hughes, another uptick getting more ice time and better linemates.  

Myers is a money puck signing.  A secondary guy playing behind others that got the better ice time and zone time.  

Vancity has a solid middle tier defence with our mix.  Depending on Hughes could be a risky plan, being a rookie and all, but I see him as the catalyst that takes our team to the next level.  

IMO Hughes, Quinn, not Jack, could be in a position to run away with the Calder.  The position he is going to be in, is primed to succeed.  

With the trade price and the cap hit, Myers is better value than Trouba IMO.  Never thought the Jets would lose both at the same time.