The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ristolainen Not Happy in Buffalo.

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...

I'd like to point out that with BUF actually playing well (despite still not having overly elite defensive/2way support from their forward core), still playing roughly 24 minutes a night and with more actual dzone starts (62%, highest of his career this year vs 53.4% last year, also closer to his ~54-55% historic 'norm'), he's got 3 points and is a paltry -1...

His cost to acquire is only going to go up IMO...Lucky for you @SabreFan1

Sadly I don't think we'll be the team to acquire him (my money's still on WPG) but he'd fit in very nicely here IMO, particularly as he'd likely get more ozone starts and easier usage.

LeBrun mentioned this morning on Team 1040 that Risto loves Kruger. Just 8 games in and he is confidently calling him, 'The best coach I've ever played for'.

So, at least for the time being, it seems Rasmus is content to stay put in Buffalo.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd like to point out that with BUF actually playing well (despite still not having overly elite defensive/2way support from their forward core), still playing roughly 24 minutes a night and with more actual dzone starts (62%, highest of his career this year vs 53.4% last year, also closer to his ~54-55% historic 'norm'), he's got 3 points and is a paltry -1...

His cost to acquire is only going to go up IMO...Lucky for you @SabreFan1

Sadly I don't think we'll be the team to acquire him (my money's still on WPG) but he'd fit in very nicely here IMO, particularly as he'd likely get more ozone starts and easier usage.

Risto is definitely better this year so far.  His TOI has actually dropped slightly this season now that Dahlin has replaced him on the PP1 unit.

The Canucks took themselves out of the running to acquire Risto when they picked up Myers.  Can't really blame Benning though.  He had to pull the trigger on the sure thing instead of getting into a costly bidding war for a player in Risto who may or may not regress as the season goes on.

Risto recently cited in an interview that his unhappiness in Buffalo stemmed from the constant losing year after year.  If the Sabres keep doing well as the season progresses, he may end up wanting to stay with the Sabres.  If the Sabres start to fall out of contention as the season goes on though, I'd imagine he'll be traded away by the time the TDL rolls around.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

LeBrun mentioned this morning on Team 1040 that Risto loves Kruger. Just 8 games in and he is confidently calling him, 'The best coach I've ever played for'.

So, at least for the time being, it seems Rasmus is content to stay put in Buffalo.

If the Sabres begin to regress and start losing, he'll want out.  Can't really blame him.  He hasn't even gotten close to playoff hockey his entire career.

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Risto is definitely better this year so far.  His TOI has actually dropped slightly this season now that Dahlin has replaced him on the PP1 unit.

He's still playing +/- 24 minutes...seeing about 1 min less per night (with higher dzone starts)... :bored:

Is he playing better this year, or is the team around him finally playing better? This sounds an awful lot like the 'Edler is awful' commentary that just so happened to coincide with some of the shallowest and worst performing Canuck teams in his tenor here....

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's still playing +/- 24 minutes...seeing about 1 min less per night (with higher dzone starts)... :bored:

Is he playing better this year, or is the team around him finally playing better? This sounds an awful lot like the 'Edler is awful' commentary that just so happened to coincide with some of the shallowest and worst performing Canuck teams in his tenor here....

His slight time drop is a result of less power play time now that Dahlin QB's the PP1 squad mixed in with less TOI at the beginning.

It's a mix.  Risto has started actually playing defence and the team is playing better as well.

I think it's less commentary and more Risto has been unhappy for years and it's shown in his play.  Look at the coaching.  The old front office mishandled the Ted Nolan situation, Rolston was a joke, the entire team quickly grew to dislike Bylsma, and Housley flamed out hard.  Now the team, as well as Risto, has a coach they like and who knows how to motivate them and so far it's showing on the ice with everybody.  There are others besides Risto playing at a higher level than they have previously that I'm surprised about as well.

Could it all collapse soon and everybody, including Risto, start sucking again?  Sure, but hopefully it won't and everybody, including Risto, will continue to perform to their best.

• Cheers 1