The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Caps re sign backstrom to 5 year, 46 mill contract

cuporbust

A lot of NHL contracts doesn't make sense anymore.. 9.2million per year for a 32 year old who is probably going to drop in production. Drop by how much? What if his production drops a lot? The league is bloated with disastrous contracts now. Are teams really making that much money? 

Oshie Backstrom Wilson Kuznetsov  all signed 5 to 6 years.. Carlson 7 yrs. Orlov 4 yrs.

Looks like they'll all be retiring together...

They have  2 more Cup runs with current team..

Samsonov is only 22yrs old and a superstar in the making.. best young goalie in NHL...Holtby likely leaves as ufa in summer and Samsonov takes over...

Kuz asked media in MTL I think...why don't  they talk about Samsonov.. Is it because he's Russian?.. lol. Might be onto something.

Edited by WHL rocks

16 hours ago, Drakrami said:

A lot of NHL contracts doesn't make sense anymore.. 9.2million per year for a 32 year old who is probably going to drop in production. Drop by how much? What if his production drops a lot? The league is bloated with disastrous contracts now. Are teams really making that much money? 

Right now he's one of the best players in the world..

His play hasn't fallen off at all... elite 2 way C .. puts up 20 goals 70 pts per season. Great player.

I watched him get drafted and break in. Huge Caps fan.. 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:13 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I had the same thought about Holtby. Have to imagine they're gonna run with Samsonov next year. It makes the most sense cap-wise. 

Regarding Ovi, I absolutely would not be surprised if he took a huge pay cut to chase cups for a couple of years. He's made his money and then some already. 

you think he's chasing cups or chasing Gretzky? :P

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

you think he's chasing cups or chasing Gretzky? :P

I'd say both. But over the next 2 or 3 years it's Cups. After that team will be on the decline and he'll be within reach of Gretzky if he can put up 40 plus per year. 

• Cheers 1