The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

My brothers friend happens to be an agent for a couple of the Chicago Bears and my brother was saying that he would bet my dad and I tickets to a Bears game and then hang out with some of the Bears while we were down in Chicago. I think that would be pretty cool, even though I am not really a fan of the Bears

New Orleans Saints sign veteran kicker John Carney

The New Orleans Saints have signed 46-year-old kicker John Carney to a one-year contract, a league source said Tuesday afternoon.

Financial terms were not released, but it is believed to be for the veteran's minimum. Kicker Garrett Hartley's status with the team is unknown. But the team carried both kickers for much of the 2009 season.

Carney was signed after Hartley missed a 29-yard field goal in overtime that would have given the Saints a win in their 27-24 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. On the season, Hartley is just 4-for-7 on field goal attempts.

The Saints could decide to keep Hartley on the roster even if they sign another kicker.

Last year, they kept Hartley and Carney on the active roster for nearly three months after Hartley came back from a four-game suspension to begin the season.

Carney held the job through the first 11 games, then Hartley took over for the final five games of the regular season and the playoffs.

Carney, 46, has had an on-again, off-again relationship with the Saints during the Payton era. After six steady seasons with the Saints, he was released in 2007 because the Saints wanted a kicker with a stronger leg. But Payton and General Manager Mickey Loomis admitted later that it was one of their greatest regrets. While they struggled through kicking foibles with Olindo Mare, Martin Gramatica and Taylor Mehlhaff over the next two years, Carney shined for the New York Giants in 2008.

The Saints brought Carney back last year, though, when Hartley was suspended. And they kept him around for several months, though he wasn't able to permanently secure the job, making 13 of 17 field-goal attempts and 50 of 52 extra-point attempts. After they released him in December, they kept him around as a kicking consultant, and he played an important role in Hartley's development.

Carney ranks third in NFL history with 2,044 points in a 22-year career spent with Tampa Bay, the Los Angeles Rams, San Diego, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Kansas City, the Giants and the Saints again. He made 150 of 180 field-goal attempts (83 percent) during his first run with the Saints.

Lions lose by 2. Another close loss.

49ers lost it for themselves. They picked it with over a minute left and then fumbled near the end zone.

Denver TD with over a minute left. Up by 3, Denver recovers the kick lol

Not sure what to say about the Saints.

Lions lose by 2. Another close loss.

49ers lost it for themselves. They picked it with over a minute left and then fumbled near the end zone.

Denver TD with over a minute left. Up by 3, Denver recovers the kick lol

Not sure what to say about the Saints.

Archived