Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Did anyone go and meet Florian?

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/spo...73c&k=48384

The Morning Briefing ...

Steve Ewen, The Province

Published: Monday, November 24, 2008

Kenny Florian packs a wallop. He can also pack a room.

The UFC fighter known for his dangerous elbows had a lineup out the door and down the street for much of his autograph session at Kitsilano Popeye's, a supplement store, on Sunday afternoon.

It helps explain why the UFC is keen on getting mixed martial arts sanctioned in Vancouver and holding a pay-per-view event here. UFC vice-president Marc Ratner has admitted that he's spoken with GM Place officials.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship's Kenny Florian (right) hams it up with fan Levin Kong of New Westminster Sunday in Kitsilano.View Larger Image View Larger Image

The Ultimate Fighting Championship's Kenny Florian (right) hams it up with fan Levin Kong of New Westminster Sunday in Kitsilano.

"The Canadian fans are unbelievable," Florian, 32, , a Westwood, Mass., native, said during a break Sunday, when he met over 3,000 of them at Popeye's. "I was talking to my brother ... and I was saying how insane they were. They know everything about the sport. They're the most passionate fans I've seen anywhere in the world."

Florian might be the ideal guy to sell a sport that suffers from old images of barrel-chested, barroom brawlers squaring off. He speaks six languages and is the son of a heart surgeon. He went to Boston College on a soccer scholarship and ended up a Big East academic all-star.

He focused more on jiu-jitsu after graduating with a degree in communications and he moved into MMA full time in 2003 after quitting his job as a senior project manager of a financial translation firm.

In 2005, he was part of Ultimate Fighter Season One, the reality-TV show often credited with spearheading this MMA surge by the way it humanized fighters.

"We fell victim to a lot of poor marketing for six or seven years," said Florian, the 5-foot-10, 155 pounder with a 12-3-0 MMA record. "It was billed as 'no holds barred,' and people associated that with anyone off the street coming in and punching somebody in the face. People have started to realize these are real athletes, training six, seven days a week."

Vancouver city council banned MMA in September 2007, citing risk-management and liability issues. There was a push then for a provincial regulating body, but nothing has materialized yet.

Florian was filling in Sunday for Anderson Silva, the UFC middleweight champion, who was denied access to the country by Canada Border Services.

theres a pic there. Ive seen some pics of him in Vancouver floating around the net.

Edited by Pfizer

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/spo...73c&k=48384

theres a pic there. Ive seen some pics of him in Vancouver floating around the net.

Nice article, thanks for posting Pfize. I would of gone if I didn't have to work.

I got a question for you guys, where do they sell Affliction clothing in the Lower Mainland? A relative of mine wants the Affliction GSP shirt for Christmas.

Yeah they do, but its played out and only wear it if you're a douche.

They sell it at Lattitude? I think.

Can't stand Affliction or the Couture stuff or even Tapout

I agree with you man, way too many posers and wannabes wear it. Funny thing is most of them don't even know squat about MMA.

I got 1 Couture shirt that I bought way back, I haven't worn it in ages. The posers ruined them. Tapout is even worse.

Edited by Innovative

Nice article, thanks for posting Pfize. I would of gone if I didn't have to work.

I got a question for you guys, where do they sell Affliction clothing in the Lower Mainland? A relative of mine wants the Affliction GSP shirt for Christmas.

Affliction you can get at Latitude and Tapout you can get at Champs... personally i dont wear those shirts because everyone automatically thinks your a gangster wanna be or something

For those who watch TUF: TM vs. TN:

What are your "predictions" for the semi-final match-ups?

I got Bader, Krystof, Junie, and Assassin Phillipe.

Probably the exact same, maybe with Efrain beating Junie. We'll see. That pissed me off that there wasn't a new episode this week.

I have a feeling Junie will actually get kicked off the show for throwing more glass at someone.

It was in that preview from the last tuf. Looks like the throws another piece of glass and it shatters. I think hes probably gone after that one. Just a hunch.

I hope the brazilian dude loses. And i will support the dude from winnipeg, Krystof.

edit: and the way Dana said one of his competitors is amazing like GSP after the show finished taping im guessing Nover will win it all and make it to the final.

Edited by Pfizer

I have a feeling Junie will actually get kicked off the show for throwing more glass at someone.

It was in that preview from the last tuf. Looks like the throws another piece of glass and it shatters. I think hes probably gone after that one. Just a hunch.

I hope the brazilian dude loses. And i will support the dude from winnipeg, Krystof.

edit: and the way Dana said one of his competitors is amazing like GSP after the show finished taping im guessing Nover will win it all and make it to the final.

Vinny? Im cheering for Krystof too but you cant deny Vinnys BJJ didnt they say hes in the top 5 best BJJ fighters in the world? won the world cup of BJJ or something, dude made a guy tap out with his foot on TUF.

Vinny? Im cheering for Krystof too but you cant deny Vinnys BJJ didnt they say hes in the top 5 best BJJ fighters in the world? won the world cup of BJJ or something, dude made a guy tap out with his foot on TUF.

yeah thats it vinny. Hes BJJ is good but his attitude is poor. Pissing on people's bed and talking trash about one of the best BJJ MMA guys in the world - Big Nog.

He just seems like a debbie downer.

Sokodju gone from the UFC. Two fluke wins over top competition don't make a great fighter although I thought this guy was at least marketable. He's got a good look and an exciting fighting style, well, in the first round anyway. Considering all he does is throw leg kicks and then get tired and lose, but hey, he looks tough.

yeah thats it vinny. Hes BJJ is good but his attitude is poor. Pissing on people's bed and talking trash about one of the best BJJ MMA guys in the world - Big Nog.

He just seems like a debbie downer.

Yeah i think he is an idiot. In MMA fight Nog would work him over but BJJ fight im thinking Vinny would win. but at the same time even i its true be humble Nog is a MMA legend.

Yeah i think he is an idiot. In MMA fight Nog would work him over but BJJ fight im thinking Vinny would win. but at the same time even i its true be humble Nog is a MMA legend.

there was also this youtube video of him swearing at other people in the ufc.

I think it might have been florian's coach Mark Delagrotti. But he kept calling him a f@g in the video and laughing.

He seems very disrespectful.

there was also this youtube video of him swearing at other people in the ufc.

I think it might have been florian's coach Mark Delagrotti. But he kept calling him a f@g in the video and laughing.

He seems very disrespectful.

I think ive seen that one hes sitting at a desk or something?

anyways i hope Krystof disrespects him with his fists haha

I think ive seen that one hes sitting at a desk or something?

anyways i hope Krystof disrespects him with his fists haha

heh yeah thats the one.

hes sitting in his gi talking trash. Do you remember who he was calling names? What it delagrotti?

I cant seem to find the video. He probably got the person who shot it to take it down after all the responses telling him off. I dont even remember on what site I saw it.