The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

First, let me say that I'm a huge boxing fan and up until last night, I had never purchased or even seen a UFC PPV.

Boxing aficionados often call MMA boring and vice versa. However, last night showed me that MMA is worth paying the money for. I especially liked the first fight on the card between Diaz and Davis with toe to toe action and ridiculous amounts of blood.

I'll be honest, a big reason for my purchase of this PPV was to see how a shot James Toney would do against a 47 year old Couture. It pretty much went the way everyone, including myself, expected. There's just no way for a boxer to defend himself against takedowns, ground and pound, submission or what have you. Toney was out of his element, he didn't know what he was getting himself into and flat out embarrassed himself.

This fight shows just how different the two sports are. If Couture were to step into the ring with Toney in a boxing match, there's no doubt he gets knocked out within the first round. Couture would be out of his element just like Toney was last night.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I've always respected MMA fighters, they're great athletes who compete in a tough, tough sport. I think I'll be buying more UFC events from now on.

I was just wondering if any of you guys are going to buy/rent EA Sports MMA?

The game looks awesome and they have all the fighters outside the UFC like Fedor, Ken Shamrock, Bobby Lashley, etc.

I saw a video on youtube (presumably post e3), that looks a lot smoother than what we saw at e3. They managed to fix the awkward sliding walking that didn't look natural at all.

I'm not going to jump on any bandwagons before the reviews are out, but I'm optimistic. I like the direction they've taken with career mode, and that they've incorporated a world wide perspective of mma. I can't wait to throw down some downed knees and head stomps. Their lack UFC fighters can be satisfied by an in depth create a fighter mode, which so according to the hype video, allows players to share created fighters.

And anyone who knows two bits about mma will appreciate El Guapo being in the game!

WTF is up with the "boring card" crap?

Davis/Diaz was great! Loved watching Randy tool Toney. Frankie made BJ look like an idiot!! What's so boring about that?

Not to mention one of the most dominating performances you'll ever see in the octagon by Joe Lauzon. Man that was sick!!

Davis/Diaz was great! Loved watching Randy tool Toney. Frankie made BJ look like an idiot!! What's so boring about that?

Not to mention one of the most dominating performances you'll ever see in the octagon by Joe Lauzon. Man that was sick!!

Definitely. It was a great card and Luazon basically executed his game plan so perfect it was beautiful.

Sometimes it's not always about the exciting fights, it's about who the fighters are. And for this one, it wasn't outstanding. As for the two big fights... how is that exciting... we have seen MUCH better stuff in the UFC....

I saw a video on youtube (presumably post e3), that looks a lot smoother than what we saw at e3. They managed to fix the awkward sliding walking that didn't look natural at all.

I'm not going to jump on any bandwagons before the reviews are out, but I'm optimistic. I like the direction they've taken with career mode, and that they've incorporated a world wide perspective of mma. I can't wait to throw down some downed knees and head stomps. Their lack UFC fighters can be satisfied by an in depth create a fighter mode, which so according to the hype video, allows players to share created fighters.

And anyone who knows two bits about mma will appreciate El Guapo being in the game!

Gameplay looks extremely organic. I think this is going to be a very good game and I'm getting rid of UFC 2010 today.

Anyone else think tha Nate Diaz is a complete and utter douchebag?

He does so much taunting and BS in the ring, I'd like for him to do that against a top tier fighter.

Someone needs to KTFO his ass!!!

The Diaz brothers are notorious for their in-ring antics. Its mostly just to get a mental advantage on their opponents. At the same time, they are very childish when things don't go their way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjS_-KnCkIg

Edited by roster19

The thing is that EA Sports MMA is taking the striking system from fight night round 4 and they are making the ground transitions easy. I also win in UFC 2010 because I take it to the ground and the other person doesn't know what to do. The takedowns are also looking very nice.

Edited by -H.Sedin33-

• 3 weeks later...