The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Hey, why such surprised expression? I'm not as dumb as I may appear! laugh.gif

Oh, and you know you can rep me now, right? Though +20 would be swell. laugh.gif

Haha. I know, I know. I meant it to be a more "I'm-surprised-you-needed-Vlad-to-tell-you-what's-right look."

I tried to rep you, but I couldn't :( I'll rep you as soon as I get more :P

Lol, I was reading what a few people wrote about Fedor and how he needs to fight the "big boys" in order to be proven the best. What a bunch of BS.

Like someone said before, why doesn't Lesnar come to Strikeforce and try to fight Fedor there rolleyes.gif:)

Lol, I was reading what a few people wrote about Fedor and how he needs to fight the "big boys" in order to be proven the best. What a bunch of BS.

Like someone said before, why doesn't Lesnar come to Strikeforce and try to fight Fedor there rolleyes.gif:)

And this doesn't make sense to you how? Fedor is the greatest MMA HW of all time, but he can't continue to be labelled as the current best HW unless he continues to defeat top fighters.

Dana wants Brock to fight Fedor, more than Brock wants to fight Fedor.

And this doesn't make sense to you how? Fedor is the greatest MMA HW of all time, but he can't continue to be labelled as the current best HW unless he continues to defeat top fighters.

Of course Dana wants Fedor to fight under the UFC banner. It has nothing to do with who he fights. It has to do with having credibility for his Heavyweight division. It's the reason why he won't give in on the single fight deals as well as allowing him to fight in other promotions or to co promote. The very worst thing that could happen to the UFC is that Fedor comes in for one fight. Beats the UFC Champion and then leaves to go fight somewhere else.

Fedor has made a point of saying that he will not fight for the UFC if he then gets stuck there and becomes proprietary of the UFC rather than the way he has it now where he is allowed to fight anywhere he wants. I actually prefer the way he wants it where there is cross promotions and access to a larger field of opponents. Fedor is not saying he won't fight UFC opponents. He just won't be their female dog.

Has anyone beaten Fedor to take away his title of the best HW? No? If the top contenders want to be the best, it's on them to sign with Strikeforce to take on Fedor. Fedor is a giant, he doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to. It won't be "Fedor could be the best if he beat this guy", but "this guy could be the best, if he beat Fedor". And anyone who knows anything about MMA will agree, Fedor is the undisputed, undefeated, greatest heavyweight of all time. The baddest man on earth, The Last Emperor, the best pound-for-pound fighter.

Until Fedor slips, until his record grows in the Losses column, Fedor will be the best current HW in the world.

IMO Dana only offered him that contract cause he knows he would sell PPV. Considering that he has been in the industry for a while now and has been consistent, makes him the best HW fighter. He hasn't been defeated, which makes him the best. Again only my opinion. Not saying Lesnar isn't good, because he is. Like Harbinger just said there, Fedor doesn't want to be 'property' of UFC. If Lesnar wants to fight Fedor then he should find a way to do it. Why does it have to be Fedor signing with UFC? Those guys can come to him if they want to fight him so badly and prove he isn't the best.

Fedor has made a point of saying that he will not fight for the UFC if he then gets stuck there and becomes proprietary of the UFC rather than the way he has it now where he is allowed to fight anywhere he wants. I actually prefer the way he wants it where there is cross promotions and access to a larger field of opponents. Fedor is not saying he won't fight UFC opponents. He just won't be their female dog.

I don't blame Dana for not wanting it cross promotion nor should he or any MMA outfit. You've got to protect your assets as best you can, and allowing them to fight in other organizations doesn't accomplish that.

Fedor signing with the UFC doesn't make him a the UFC's female dog. It shows he wants to continue to prove he is the best by facing great fighters, and the UFC has the higher ratio of better HW fighters.

You want Fedor to have access to a larger field of opponents, but why not a better field of opponents?

I don't blame Dana for not wanting it cross promotion nor should he or any MMA outfit. You've got to protect your assets as best you can, and allowing them to fight in other organizations doesn't accomplish that.

Fedor signing with the UFC doesn't make him a the UFC's female dog. It shows he wants to continue to prove he is the best by facing great fighters, and the UFC has the higher ratio of better HW fighters.

You want Fedor to have access to a larger field of opponents, but why not a better field of opponents?

I agree with this. Both arguments are valid and I can see why Fedor would not want to join the UFC but when it all comes down to it the truth is he is avoiding too many quality HW opponents by opting to stay out of the UFC. The talent pool is greater on average and the best fighter should be in the league where the opponents are the best.

That said I don't deny that Fedor is the greatest HW now. I can see him beating anyone the UFC has, but seeing as he isn't it's hard to say he is the best HW currently without truly showing it. We are being deprived of some amazing fights, but it is what it is. Ultimately it is Fedor's choice and I understand his point of view on the situation.

Who are the better opponents he has access to in the ufc? Some up and comers Mir and Lesnar? It could be argued pretty easily that 50 percent of the guys worth fighting in the heavyweights are not even in the ufc. He has told Dana White he'll fight any UFC guy Dana wants. But he is also going to dictate some of the ground rules. The UFC can't stand not owning fighters and not being able to manipulate them. Fedor is so great he can dictate his positions and demands and promotions will either do it and gain notoriety in having the baddest man on the planet. Or they will not and they will suffer credibility issues till he either loses a few or he retires. No matter what happens here, it is up to the UFC to capitulate and cross promote or they will keep suffering this dark shadow of doubt when it comes to the most important weight class in all fight sports.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/11/16/injuries-illness-decimating-ufc-s-heavyweight-class.aspx

Injuries, illness decimating UFC's heavyweight class Posted: November 16, 2009, 5:34 PM by Noah Love UFC, Mixed Martial Arts, Brock Lesnar

Posted Sports MMA commentator Barrett Hooper weighs in on UFC's rash of heavyweight injuries and illnesses:

No fewer than three of the UFC's best 265-pound bruisers have been sidelined with illnesses and injuries, placing the future of the entire weight class in jeopardy and opening the door for its chief rival to gloat a little bit.

Brock Lesnar, the musclebound monstrosity who wears his championship belt like a charm bracelet, has been hospitalized in North Dakota with an undisclosed illness. First it was thought he had H1N1, then mononucleosis, and now UFC president Dana White is hitting the panic button by saying whatever he has is "bad," that he's "very, very sick" and "he's not going to be getting well anytime soon," although White did rule out cancer and AIDS.

As a result, White has already been forced to scrap Lesnar's title bout with undefeated top contender Shane Carwin twice, first from next Saturday's UFC 106 and then from UFC 108 on Jan. 2.

But the damage doesn't stop there.

The scheduled replacement bout for UFC 108 between heavyweights Cain Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has also been thrown on the trash heap because Nogueira has been hospitalized with a severe staph infection that has entered his bloodstream. And you can forget about dropping Carwin into the vacant slot opposite Velasquez because Carwin has a knee injury that will require surgery, putting him out of commission indefinitely.

Suddenly, the most dangerous division in mixed martial arts can't even stand on its own two feet.

I'm not running around screaming that the sky is falling, but the depth of the weight class has been significantly drained, at least for the foreseeable future. That's especially bad news when you consider that big-name heavyweight bouts provide powerhouse pay-per-view numbers.

So, while three of its stars are taking up space in the hospital, what does the UFC do in the interim? The obvious answer is to create an interim championship, except that Lesnar just unified the title in his last fight against Frank Mir at UFC 100 and it's too soon to go down that road again (ask me how I feel about it in three months if Lesnar is still on the disabled list).

Besides, who among the UFC's current crop of 265-pounders deserves to fight for even a temporary title? The answer is none of them.

Mir is the best of the rest, but he needs to prove he can still roll with the big boys since Lesnar turned his face into lunch meat. He'll have that chance at UFC 107 in December when he faces Cheick Kongo, the French kickboxer who needs to learn to grapple (or at least some serious takedown and submissions defence).

Nogueira protégé Junior dos Santos embarrassed the hell out of PRIDE legend Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 103 but he's only had three UFC fights and needs a couple of more to be considered a legitimate contender. He'll be able to notch another win when he faces another Cro Cop killer in Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 108. Gonzaga already blew his title shot when he lost to then-champ Randy Couture at UFC 74 and he's since lost to Carwin, so he's a long way from being in the hunt.

Meanwhile, Cro Cop and his UFC 110 opponent Ben Rothwell are merely fighting for respect and continued employment, and former three-time champ Couture has made it clear he's happy fighting at light heavyweight even if his clinch-and-prey win over Brandon Vera on Saturday didn't have too many people smiling (click here to read Ariel Shnerer's take on UFC 105).

Of course, this would be the perfect opportunity to start integrating some of the fighters from the current all-heavyweights season of The Ultimate Fighter. The reality series is a farm team of sorts for the big show, after all. But, as anyone who's watched even a single episode can tell you, this season is a bust. And a belly and a beard.

With perhaps one or two exceptions, none of these Biggest Loser look-alikes have a chance of winning anything more than a pie-eating contest. And before you start talking about Kimbo Slice, the former backyard brawler is plenty popular and he'll have his moment to shine in the UFC, but he will never — I repeat, never — get a shot at the heavyweight title. There's truth in the saying about old dogs and new tricks. You can get Slice to roll over, but once he's on his back all he knows how to do is let you scratch his belly.

The timing of all of this couldn't be worse for the UFC. Its chief rival, Strikeforce, is coming off its biggest event ever, a live network TV card headlined by the No. 1-ranked T-Rex, Fedor Emelianenko, and undefeated contender Brett Rogers just over a week ago. The card also included a heavyweight showdown between former UFC fighter Fabrcio Werdum and Antonio Silva. Toss in the currently MIA heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem and up-and-comer Bobby Lashley and Strikeforce can now make a (tenuous) claim to having the best heavyweight pool in MMA. At least until Lesnar, Carwin and Nogueira are healthy.

It must be killing Dana White to lose those bragging rights, not that he'll ever admit it. But the moment he re-signs former champs Andrei Arlovski or Tim Sylvia, we might want to consider watching the skies for falling rocks.

Who are the better opponents he has access to in the ufc? Some up and comers Mir and Lesnar? It could be argued pretty easily that 50 percent of the guys worth fighting in the heavyweights are not even in the ufc. He has told Dana White he'll fight any UFC guy Dana wants. But he is also going to dictate some of the ground rules. The UFC can't stand not owning fighters and not being able to manipulate them. Fedor is so great he can dictate his positions and demands and promotions will either do it and gain notoriety in having the baddest man on the planet. Or they will not and they will suffer credibility issues till he either loses a few or he retires. No matter what happens here, it is up to the UFC to capitulate and cross promote or they will keep suffering this dark shadow of doubt when it comes to the most important weight class in all fight sports.

I wouldn't call Frank Mir an up and comer. I think there is opportunity for some great fights for Fedor in the UFC. Lesnar who already has been mentioned, Mir, Carwin, Velasquez, even Dos Santos and another shot for Big Nog. Rogers was a decent opponent for Fedor, but who is left outside the UFC that is worth fighting. Barnett and maybe Overeem, that's about it. Face it, the HW division on a global scale is pretty weak.

Since Pride's demise, UFC is THE organization for MMA whether you like the way they run business or not. The UFC doesn't have to cross promote anything. Cross promotion may work for an up start company, but not for a company with the size and global reach and appeal that the UFC has. Fedor could have easily signed a 4 fight contract with the UFC, won all 4 fights and left, but when he decided to go to strikeforce it felt like he was trying to protect his legacy more than anything else. He knows if he loses a fight his stock plumits.

My question is, if(when)Strikeforce goes under, where is Fedor going to go then, back to Japan? The next Strikeforce card is on December 5, and so far Fedor is not on it. It'll be interesting to see the numbers after that one.

LOL. laugh.gif

Now if that really happened...... mellow.gif

Btw. Vlad = +1 smile.gif

Consider yourself lucky, I used my only positive on you tongue.gif

Classic form of suck-up.

Anyways. I hope Griffin wins. I like Tito... but I'd just rather have Griffin win.. tito is extremely cocky

although his line of clothes is pretty sweet.

Classic form of suck-up.

Anyways. I hope Griffin wins. I like Tito... but I'd just rather have Griffin win.. tito is extremely cocky

although his line of clothes is pretty sweet.

No actually, I was giving him one that he asked for before :)

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3440

News

btn_backtoindex_orange.gif

17/11/09 - RVCA and Clinch Gear banned by UFC

RVCA and Clinch Gear have become the two latest additions to the UFC’s sponsorship blacklist, it was confirmed today. The bannings were the subject of much discussion among industry insiders at the weekend’s UFC 105 event, but were not confirmed until today.

RVCA has attracted the ire of the UFC by sponsoring Fedor Emelianenko for his fight with Brett Rogers on the recent Strikeforce/CBS show. As a long-time sponsor of lightweight champion BJ Penn, the brand is a familiar one with UFC fans.

Clinch Gear has been banned from the Octagon for obvious reasons. The brand is Dan Henderson’s own clothing line and as the UFC and he are no longer seeing eye to eye, the label is not welcome in the cage. Relations between UFC president Dana White and Henderson have apparently been cordial during negotiations but this latest move may upset the former Pride double-champion.

The UFC and a Zuffa have a history of banning certain brands from sponsoring athletes in the UFC and WEC cages. And earlier this year, an arbitrary sponsorship tax was also introduced with the aim of filtering out the small-scale companies that were finding their way into main-card sponsorship slots.