The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

If Conor can't end this by mid-fight, his cardio will wane and he will become human.  Khabib will start taking him down at will at that point.  His only means of escape will be to run around and turn his back like he did in the 2nd Diaz fight.

If I had to bet on this fight though, I'd bet 1st or 2nd round KO in Conor's favour.

• Cheers 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Because when I think Fighting, I think John Malkovich. :mellow:

If Khabib can avoid the left hand of the Irish man, he will win. 

If Conor finds that chin, game over for the Dagestani.

I saw that earlier.  I thought Malkovich did a decent job with it.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I saw that earlier.  I thought Malkovich did a decent job with it.

Yeah, its good. I thought he was too on Conor's leg early in the spot but he gave Khabib the respect he deserves.

This is a tough one for CM. I don't think Khabib has ever lost a round, never mind a fight. All he has to do is get Conor down...

I've trained as a striker my whole life, Boxing, Muay Thai, and lots of Karate. I'm 1/4 Irish, born on a farm in Northern England. I want to support the striker because it is my love. I like Conors abilities, but the way he carries himself is hard to watch.

I love the movie Snatch, when I first saw Conor I thought that Brad Pitts character had come to life (they call them Pikey's in the movie, my dad used to call them Tinkers). I was soo excited. But then I heard him carry on and run his mouth and I lost interest in him. I am in the minority obviously. 

gonna be a fun night.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, its good. I thought he was too on Conor's leg early in the spot but he gave Khabib the respect he deserves.

This is a tough one for CM. I don't think Khabib has ever lost a round, never mind a fight. All he has to do is get Conor down...

I've trained as a striker my whole life, Boxing, Muay Thai, and lots of Karate. I'm 1/4 Irish, born on a farm in Northern England. I want to support the striker because it is my love. I like Conors abilities, but the way he carries himself is hard to watch.

I love the movie Snatch, when I first saw Conor I thought that Brad Pitts character had come to life (they call them Pikey's in the movie, my dad used to call them Tinkers). I was soo excited. But then I heard him carry on and run his mouth and I lost interest in him. I am in the minority obviously. 

gonna be a fun night.

The thing about Khabib though is his lousy movement.  If you pull up his last fight with Al Iaquinta, he almost never took his head off of the centre-line.  If he hasn't improved that aspect of his game since then and does the same thing with Conor, it could end up being a short fight.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The thing about Khabib though is his lousy movement.  If you pull up his last fight with Al Iaquinta, he almost never took his head off of the centre-line.  If he hasn't improved that aspect of his game since then and does the same thing with Conor, it could end up being a short fight.

100% 

Not many men can take Conor's left hand, Khabib has to move!

That said , Khabib did great against Barboza.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

100% 

Not many men can take Conor's left hand, Khabib has to move!

That said , Khabib did great against Barboza.

They have such opposite styles, but both are great.  It's what has me excited.  There's just no telling how it will go.  Only guessing.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

gonna be a fun night.

I'm with you. Maybe Conor has been the same all along, and his shtick is just wearing on me, but I feel like he has become a caricature of himself and I can't stand his press conferences/public appearances.

I've got CM, 2nd round, catching Khabib coming in. TKO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The reason why I wouldn't read too much into the Iaquinta fight is that I think he didn't take the fight seriously. I don't think he had been working on his standup, his coaches were begging him to stop and to take Al down instead. I think Khabib just wanted to test himself. I think he'll be sharper against Conor, but still not sharp enough.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Down by the River said:

The reason why I wouldn't read too much into the Iaquinta fight is that I think he didn't take the fight seriously. I don't think he had been working on his standup, his coaches were begging him to stop and to take Al down instead. I think Khabib just wanted to test himself. I think he'll be sharper against Conor, but still not sharp enough.

If head movement wasn't such an elementary part of the game, I would agree with you.  That's something most fighters have ingrained in them in the very beginning.  It eventually cost Rousey her career.  It could very well cost Khabib this fight if he isn't able to take Conor down.  That's why I think Conor will win early if he wins the fight, because until his cardio crashes, he's tough to not only take down but to keep down.  If Khabib keeps coming in on him in a straight line, Conor will catch him with a clean hard shot sooner or later.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Khabib must doing something right....he's 26-0

He needs to get Conor down and grapple then choke him out :-)

He's a wrestling beast.  That's what he does right.  He's just facing a striker who's as good at striking as he's at wrestling.  That's what makes this fight so exciting and tough to figure out.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

He's a wrestling beast.  That's what he does right.  He's just facing a striker who's as good at striking as he's at wrestling.  That's what makes this fight so exciting and tough to figure out.

Yup and training for his fight against Mayweather improved his striking even more...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Yup and training for his fight against Mayweather improved his striking even more...

What he learned in boxing will help him more when his cardio starts to leave him if the fight goes that far.  Although if it gets to that point, he'll have a tough time jabbing at Khabib rolled up into a ball against the cage.

Edited by SabreFan1