The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Which means nothing without snow tires

I had zero problem in like 2.5 feet of snow last year. I'm sure I'll be ok. Just drive smart with light, smooth inputs, leave lots of distance, reduce speed accordingly etc. With my car in AWD lock I'd have to try to get it stuck and even then I'd still probably get it out.

I had zero problem in like 2.5 feet of snow last year. I'm sure I'll be ok. Just drive smart with light, smooth inputs, leave lots of distance, reduce speed accordingly etc. With my car in AWD lock I'd have to try to get it stuck and even then I'd still probably get it out.

2.5 feet of snow, no winter tires, right........

So there was no snow on the road right? Do you even understand what winter tires do?

Snowed/snowing in Kelowna, fml.

AWD only helps with moving. Stopping is another story altogether. I hate the AWD idiots who don't remember this fact and go around rear-ending everyone.

2.5 feet of snow, no winter tires, right........

So there was no snow on the road right? Do you even understand what winter tires do?

Snowed/snowing in Kelowna, fml.

Yeah it was called the huge dump of snow we had last year, definitely snow on the road that was scraping the underside of my car. And yes I have a very good idea of what snow tires do, thanks. They keep rubber more pliable at lower temps, generally have tread patterns better suited for gripping in snow and some have studs for even more traction.

AWD only helps with moving. Stopping is another story altogether. I hate the AWD idiots who don't remember this fact and go around rear-ending everyone.

Well if you're not going too fast for the conditions and also leave lots of space and use smooth inputs including braking then it's not an issue. For the GVRD you do not need snow tires if you have any clue how to drive in the 3 days of snow we get here.

I do agree there are a lot of morons who go ripping around even faster than they do on dry roads with AWD who are morons but if you don't drive like a moron you can get around just fine and safely.

Edited by J.R.

LOL flurries up at SFU at the moment

extremely light light flurries and it ain't lasting you can tell

and so it begins lol

according to my friend there was a light dusting of snow on the ground this morning but it wasn't really causing any problems

last week they were testing out their emergency alerts system to make sure it worked

lol i got 2 phone calls at home, 4 emails, and 4 text messages during their testing. at least they are thorough!

Usually you'll see more AWD/4WD vehicles in the ditch than anything, because it brings a false sense of security with it. You still have to be as cautious as a FWD/RWD.

Well if you're not going too fast for the conditions and also leave lots of space and use smooth inputs including braking then it's not an issue. For the GVRD you do not need snow tires if you have any clue how to drive in the 3 days of snow we get here.

I do agree there are a lot of morons who go ripping around even faster than they do on dry roads with AWD who are morons but if you don't drive like a moron you can get around just fine and safely.

It's not the snow that's the problem, but the ice underneath, which no matter how good of an AWD you have, or how good of snow tires you have, it's still treacherous.

http://www.news1130.com/more.jsp?content=20091117_141817_9112

YVR unveils improvements to deal with bad weather and Olympic crowds

RICHMOND (NEWS1130) - After problems during last winter's snowstorms, many people were concerned if YVR would be able to handle the possibility of a big snowstorm combined with the influx of passengers during the Olympics. But YVR says $30 million in improvements and upgrades will ensure the airport can move everyone efficiently before, during, and after the Games.

The preparedness plan for the 2010 Olympic Games includes improvements to the de-icing service and additional snow removal equipment. They've also built a temporary terminal for Olympic passengers arriving and departing YVR. An additional 13,000 passengers are expected to pass through the airport on the busiest days--including March 1st, the day after the Closing Ceremonies.

The airport has an additional 400 volunteers trained to deal with the extra crowds and weather problems. One additional feature next February which will be a first for an Olympics: Athletes and Olympic officials will be able to use kiosks at the Olympic Village to do pre-check-in, one day in advance of their departure.

The Canada Line will also help with moving people from Vancouver to the airport.

That's good, I guess. No stranded passengers = no pissed-off passengers.

That's good, I guess. No stranded passengers = no pissed-off passengers.

so much of the success of the Olympics depends on the weather.

if it rains too much visitors won't enjoy it

if is snows too much we may not be able to handle it but it would be good for Whistler

If it doesn't snow it'll be good for us but not for Whistler

what to do what to do :rolleyes: