The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is a problem too. This must happen a number of times during the day, where a group of people are getting off the bus and heading towards a SkyTrain Station, and simultaneously, people getting off the train and heading out of the SkyTrain Station. Since there is no real 'Enter' or 'Exit', you end up waiting for the other group of people to go first, and they look at you thinking the same. I agree, the system is atrocious.

http://cnnphilippines.com/incoming/yn13ol-LRT2_beep_cards_2_CNNPH.jpg/alternates/FREE_640/LRT2_beep_cards_2_CNNPH.jpg

Little new to transit, but if I ride the Millennium line and switch to the expo, do I need to buy a new ticket for that? 

"Single Fares

Buying a single fare lets you travel for up to 90 minutes (upon purchase) across the Lower Mainland by bus, SeaBus or SkyTrain. You can hop off for errands and then hop back on again. Tickets for West Coast Express must be purchased separately as they are priced differently."

And does this mean I can use a bus transfer fare ticket for the skytrain too?

Why can't transit be simpler here... :S

One last question. I always worry about going through too many zones and getting a hefty fine. What do I have to do to avoid it. And bonus, what are some examples of situations where I would be paying a fine.

8 minutes ago, roland said:

Little new to transit, but if I ride the Millennium line and switch to the expo, do I need to buy a new ticket for that? 

"Single Fares

Buying a single fare lets you travel for up to 90 minutes (upon purchase) across the Lower Mainland by bus, SeaBus or SkyTrain. You can hop off for errands and then hop back on again. Tickets for West Coast Express must be purchased separately as they are priced differently."

One last question. I always worry about going through too many zones and getting a hefty fine. What do I have to do to avoid it. And bonus, what are some examples of situations where I would be paying a fine.

Move to where you can Walk. :frantic:

46 minutes ago, roland said:

1. No, you don't need to buy a new ticket if you're transferring from Millennium Line to the Expo Line.

2. Yes, you can use a bus transfer fare ticket on the SkyTrain.

3. It's pretty avoidable. You don't have to worry too much, as long as you know how many zones it will take to reach your destination. The only people who get caught are the lazy ones, or the ones that think they will not get caught.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

1. No, you don't need to buy a new ticket if you're transferring from Millennium Line to the Expo Line.

2. Yes, you can use a bus transfer fare ticket on the SkyTrain.

3. It's pretty avoidable. You don't have to worry too much, as long as you know how many zones it will take to reach your destination. The only people who get caught are the lazy ones, or the ones that think they will not get caught.

Thank you, Vintage Canuck! :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2016 at 10:15 PM, roland said:

Thank you, Vintage Canuck! :)

Just wanted to say one thing, you can now no longer use a bus transfer ticket on the SkyTrain. You have to buy a new compass ticket outside of the station on one of the machines, as all the gates are closed now. So, the only way to can get in is by having a compass card or compass ticket, and then tapping in to enter. Kind of stupid how you have to pay twice because of the compass system.

On 3/3/2016 at 11:19 AM, Lancaster said:

Translink should have just bought 2nd hand stuff from Japan or something. 

mg_9279.jpg

Not sure the exact mechanism, but some of those gates will alternate the Enter/Exit to make the movement of people as quick as possible.  They're arranged wider than what Translink has now.  Large enough to go through with a single luggage. 

Yeah, they can switch them between one way and two-way at anytime. They'll show an X where the green arrows is if one way. The paddles are also lighting quick, there's no delay between people/beeps and there are a ton at every station. It's also easy to see your balance as you go through with the way the screens are positioned. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just wanted to say one thing, you can now no longer use a bus transfer ticket on the SkyTrain. You have to buy a new compass ticket outside of the station on one of the machines, as all the gates are closed now. So, the only way to can get in is by having a compass card or compass ticket, and then tapping in to enter. Kind of stupid how you have to pay twice because of the compass system.

This is also incredibly confusing for tourists. especially downtown. 

When will they get rid of that stupid 3 zone fare rule.

Why is someone riding from Joyce to Metrotown paying the same as another person riding from Water front to New West/Richmond.

Go with the distance fare that almost every 1st class city transit system uses.

• Upvote 1

Hackers still catching free ride on transit despite Compass Card rollout:

The Compass Card system was supposed to cut down on fare evasion, but it turns out some people have found a way to cheat the system and TransLink may have been aware of the problem for years.

Videos showing how to hack into the near field communication (NFC) technology used in paper Compass tickets have been online since 2012.

TransLink confirmed that it has identified 30 instances since December where tickets had been hacked and reset to allow travellers a free ride.

“TransLink did not anticipate how big this could be or didn’t believe it would be an issue, so they haven’t addressed it,” tech expert Dave Teixeira said. “Unfortunately they’re going to have to address this because people are finding out about this and it is incredibly simple to do and, with a little ingenuity, be very difficult to track who has done it.”

TransLink did not speak to Global News on camera but said they are monitoring the situation. It also said it can shut down those tickets that have been reset once the user taps into the system.

TransLink critics are finding it hard not to say, “I told you so.”

“The reality is that every time you try to implement these kinds of solutions and find a panacea for fare evasion you usually cost the people paying for the system more money and you don’t get the results you planned,” Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan said.

In the past, TransLink has estimated fare evasion costs them $7 million to $15 million a year. But the Compass Card project cost almost $200 million to implement and another $20 million a year to operate, leaving critics saying the $15-million tab for fare evasion looks like a bargain by comparison.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2637783/hackers-still-catching-free-ride-on-transit-despite-compass-card-rollout/

On 4/7/2016 at 0:33 PM, Kakanucks said:

When will they get rid of that stupid 3 zone fare rule.

Why is someone riding from Joyce to Metrotown paying the same as another person riding from Water front to New West/Richmond.

Go with the distance fare that almost every 1st class city transit system uses.

I agree, it should be abolished entirely. I think TransLink is looking into it, and are thinking about creating distance-based fares, which makes more sense.

So isn't the fares being closed supposed to make it harder for people to evade fares? What's the point of closing the gates if no one is there to deter people from following someone through/hopping over?

3 times this week I've seen people either hop over or follow someone through. 1 of them was a homeless guy who started yelling at people cause he couldn't follow the first few people through. Was actually pretty funny, like one of those little rats in a maze trying to get his cheese

36 minutes ago, Seahawks85 said:

So isn't the fares being closed supposed to make it harder for people to evade fares? What's the point of closing the gates if no one is there to deter people from following someone through/hopping over?

3 times this week I've seen people either hop over or follow someone through. 1 of them was a homeless guy who started yelling at people cause he couldn't follow the first few people through. Was actually pretty funny, like one of those little rats in a maze trying to get his cheese

I feel like most Skytrain issues could be solved by having one attendant at each station. Seems like it would be possible if they weren't always gathered in one place chatting. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like most Skytrain issues could be solved by having one attendant at each station. Seems like it would be possible if they weren't always gathered in one place chatting. 

It's true

I've seen someone have to actually walk over and interrupt their conversation after trying to flag someone down from about 30 feet away. Also I'm not sure how many transit police are actually on duty at a given time but maybe have 2 or 4 at each of the busier stations. 

Saw some on the WCE for the 1st time ever last week though so that's new and exciting.  

Edited by Seahawks85
  • Upvote 1

Compass cards. What a colossal waste of money. And Translink wonders why taxpayers won't just give them a blank check to run their system. Idiots. 

I can second the Japanese system being efficient. It was a while ago, but it worked flawless for the time I was there. People in Chicago hate their transit system and even they have a better way of collecting fares, and it's a million years old. 

Way to make Vancouver roll like a 3rd class city instead of one of the world's best Translink.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Compass cards. What a colossal waste of money. And Translink wonders why taxpayers won't just give them a blank check to run their system. Idiots. 

I can second the Japanese system being efficient. It was a while ago, but it worked flawless for the time I was there. People in Chicago hate their transit system and even they have a better way of collecting fares, and it's a million years old. 

Way to make Vancouver roll like a 3rd class city instead of one of the world's best Translink.

Translink didn't want to use these cards. The province forced them to do it. 

#themoreyouknow