The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

It's the same....it's just the speakers, rather BETTER and audible speakers.

You'll also hear the same chime and female voice for the Canada Line.

Edited by nitronuts

Check out this site a UBC student won an award for: http://transitdb.ca

Story: http://www.science.ubc.ca/news/295

Among other improvements, TransitDB pulls data from Vancouver's public transit authority's online timetables and aggregates the results by bus loop and exchange, not just by route or stop.

"The overall goal of TransitDB is to improve access to transit information, by presenting the data quickly and clearly, and by making related pieces of content easier to reach," says Lam.

"Normally I'd have to look up the schedules for each route manually. Using TransitDB I can see the departure times for all stops at UBC Loop, in one place."

I've always hated the translink site. The information is slow to access and not intuitive.

transitdb will definitely help in terms of people who need to get from ubc out to Granville or to kerrisdale. Often, I've found myself stuck on a 41 when the 43 or 480 was pulling out of the loop, thus wasting my time.

Hint for UBC students heading southbound on Granville (en route to a 10, 98, 3xx, 4xx or 6xx bus):

If the 43 and/or 480 leaves and there's a 49 still sitting there, take your chances with the 49. It's sometimes quicker than any 41st Avenue buses getting to Granville, largely because it bypasses the Kerrisdale traffic backlog. (Get off at the Churchill Street stop rather than the Granville Street stop, to avoid having to cross the street.)

I used to take that shortcut all the time. Even when it gets stuck along SW Marine (between Dunbar and 49th), it's usually as fast or faster arriving at Granville. (Edit: Your bus may be invaded by Magee Secondary anklebiters during certain hours though.)

Edited by BuckyHermit

Hint for UBC students heading southbound on Granville (en route to a 10, 98, 3xx, 4xx or 6xx bus):

If the 43 and/or 480 leaves and there's a 49 still sitting there, take your chances with the 49. It's sometimes quicker than any 41st Avenue buses getting to Granville, largely because it bypasses the Kerrisdale traffic backlog. (Get off at the Churchill Street stop rather than the Granville Street stop, to avoid having to cross the street.)

I used to take that shortcut all the time. Even when it gets stuck along SW Marine (between Dunbar and 49th), it's usually as fast or faster arriving at Granville. (Edit: Your bus may be invaded by Magee Secondary anklebiters during certain hours though.)

Lucky us. A majority of those options are now gone. :angry:

Lucky us. A majority of those options are now gone. :angry:

Yep... and I graduated and am heading across an ocean to work in a place where the subway routes are so extensive that the maps resemble an aneurysm -- just in time for the rest of you to get screwed over.

Neener neener neener.

Yep... and I graduated and am heading across an ocean to work in a place where the subway routes are so extensive that the maps resemble an aneurysm -- just in time for the rest of you to get screwed over

Neener neener neener.

I'll just drive my car.

Man, worst SkyTrain ride for me.

It's 11:30am, technical problems at Edmonds (which I wasn't aware of). The SkyTrain is there waiting I try to go in, but it's so full I can't even half of my body in so I wait for the next one, but the next one takes about 7 minutes to come (because of the technical problems at Edmonds) so now I'm late for work.

I get in the SkyTrain, it was like hell. First there were 2 old Chinese guys yapping at each other in Cantonese across the Skytrain, then a baby crying it's brains out for the whole ride (I went from Patterson to Broadway)right next to me, and lastly some idiot comes in with a bike with the wheel leaving stains on my new shoes.

Jeez, horrible ride for me. Luckily my boss doesn't care if I'm late or not.