The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

You can't just put more trains on the line either, because there's only one rail going into the YVR station.

Might help if at the airport station one train showed up as soon as the last one left during peak hours.

I have yet to be on a real crowded train, but I'd think that those things can fit a lot of people.

You can't just put more trains on the line either, because there's only one rail going into the YVR station.

Might help if at the airport station one train showed up as soon as the last one left during peak hours.

I have yet to be on a real crowded train, but I'd think that those things can fit a lot of people.

The good thing is, only the YVR station and the brighouse station are single-tracked. So theoretically, it is possible that a train leave and then arrive in mere moments.

3 to 4 years, from ordering to building to factory testing to shipping to local testing and then finally the day it goes in operation.

Why does building a train take like half the time of building the canada line itself? :blink:

Edited by Luongo = Cup

The single-tracking actually doesn't impede on the capability of frequency that much. The single-tracking is only 640-metres long at both Richmond and YVR. That's about the length of 4 city blocks. It takes a minute to go through the single-tracked sections and another minute to get out of it, excluding the dwelling time at Brighouse and YVR-Airport Station. All together, it takes a train about 3-minutes to get in and out of the single-tracking sections.....and that's a pretty good train frequency on world and local standards. Right now, frequency runs every 8-minutes during most hours in both Richmond and YVR but they can be reduced to as little as 3-minutes with more trains.

But the problem with single-tracking is if a train breaks down, the system grinds to a hault. There aren't many track switches for trains to bypass the broken train. For instance, south of Brighouse along the Richmond segment the only track switch is at Brighouse and the other one is way down at Lansdowne where the double-track merges into a single-track. Basically, the entire Richmond segment is screwed if a train breaks down somewhere along the line.

The same can be said for the Sea Island airport segment, with track switches only at Templeton Station and at where the single-track begins.

In fact, here's a list of all the track switches along the Canada Line:

- just before Waterfront Station

- just north of Broadway-City Hall Station

- just north of Oakridge Station

- just north of the North Arm Bridge

- around Bridgeport Station/OMC

- just south of Lansdowne Station

- around Templeton Station

- 640-metres before YVR-Airport Station

Signage directing to the Canada Line at the airport terminal is also terrible. The airport is already getting a ton of riders from passengers, but just imagine how much more riders they'd get from improving signage...

Edited by nitronuts

Because you can crank out trains fairly quickly on an assembly line. To do a entire rapid transit system takes longer, unless you paid more to expedite the work.

InTransitBC ordered the twenty Canada Line trains from South Korea in late-2006. The first trains were delivered in late-2008 and they had to undergo months of testing before being able to go into service.

Translink's new 48-Mark II SkyTrain cars from Bombardier also have a similar timeline....all 48 cars will be in operation in time for the Olympics.

Because you can crank out trains fairly quickly on an assembly line. To do a entire rapid transit system takes longer, unless you paid more to expedite the work.

Huh that was my point. :blink: 3-4 years to build a train is far from being quick. It's half the time of the canada line itself, which is crazy.

Edited by Luongo = Cup

Huh that was my point. :blink: 3-4 years to build a train is far from being quick. It's half the time of the canada line itself, which is crazy.

There may be other customers that are further ahead of you waiting for their delivery. It is not like the factory is sitting idle waiting for your order; you get added to the back of the queue of orders. Sometimes, for certain products, there may be a very long queue.

There may be other customers that are further ahead of you waiting for their delivery. It is not like the factory is sitting idle waiting for your order; you get added to the back of the queue of orders. Sometimes, for certain products, there may be a very long queue.

But you just said building trains on an assembly line is a quick process. :blink:

But you just said building trains on an assembly line is a quick process. :blink:

The building process is relatively quick, but these companies (namely Bombardier) often have thousands and thousands of other cars to build from other orders....

The single-tracking actually doesn't impede on the capability of frequency that much. The single-tracking is only 640-metres long at both Richmond and YVR. That's about the length of 4 city blocks. It takes a minute to go through the single-tracked sections and another minute to get out of it, excluding the dwelling time at Brighouse and YVR-Airport Station. All together, it takes a train about 3-minutes to get in and out of the single-tracking sections.....and that's a pretty good train frequency on world and local standards. Right now, frequency runs every 8-minutes during most hours in both Richmond and YVR but they can be reduced to as little as 3-minutes with more trains.

I was on it today. The train stopped at Lansdowne for several minutes waiting for another train to clear the single track. At Richmond-Brighouse, the train sits idle for several minutes. I figure it should have left and cleared the track, and did all its parking and time adjustment at Waterfront, where there are two tracks and platforms.

The building process is relatively quick, but these companies (namely Bombardier) often have thousands and thousands of other cars to build from other orders....

Do they have multiple manufacturing plants (ie. one in Canada, USA, Europe, Asia, etc.)?

Do they have multiple manufacturing plants (ie. one in Canada, USA, Europe, Asia, etc.)?

Bombardier has many, many, many plants around the world. They are by far the world's number one train supplier (at least Canada is good at one thing)...and their biggest client are the Europeans. Something like 20,000 of their 30,000 employees in the rail transport division are in Europe.

The 48 Mark II cars Translink ordered were originally going to be built in Kingston and La Pocatiere but they are instead being built in Mexico because of a huge backlog in their Canadian plants.

Worldwide Bombardier train plants

- North America: Canada (Thunder Bay, Kingston, La Pocatière), United States, Mexico

- Europe: Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Finland, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Poland, Romania, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic

- Asia: China, India, Thailand, South Korea

- South America: Brazil

- Australia

Bombardier even built a train plant in Burnaby to produce the Mark II SkyTrains for the Millennium Line. But it was shut down soon after the trains were completed as there weren't enough worldwide orders for LIM trains. At the time, the company was also facing financial difficulty and shut down a dozen plants around the world (including ours) eliminating close to 7,000 jobs....including 200 jobs at the local plant. The government was forced to buy the factory, and then it later sold it to someone else....i believe it's now a carpet warehouse.

Edited by nitronuts

Bombardier has many, many, many plants around the world. They are by far the world's number one train supplier (at least Canada is good at one thing)...and their biggest client are the Europeans. Something like 20,000 of their 30,000 employees in the rail transport division are in Europe.

The 48 Mark II cars Translink ordered were originally going to be built in Kingston and La Pocatiere but they are instead being built in Mexico because of a huge backlog in their Canadian plants.

Worldwide Bombardier train plants

- North America: Canada (Thunder Bay, Kingston, La Pocatière), United States, Mexico

- Europe: Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Finland, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Poland, Romania, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic

- Asia: China, India, Thailand, South Korea

- South America: Brazil

- Australia

Bombardier even built a train plant in Burnaby to produce the Mark II SkyTrains for the Millennium Line. But it was shut down soon after the trains were completed as there weren't enough worldwide orders for LIM trains. At the time, the company was also facing financial difficulty and shut down a dozen plants around the world (including ours) eliminating close to 7,000 jobs....including 200 jobs at the local plant. The government was forced to buy the factory, and then it later sold it to someone else....i believe it's now a carpet warehouse.

Pretty hard to believe they have financial problems when they get so much bussiness it takes years to make an order of trains lol.

Are they doing any fare checks on Canada Line, or did I miss something and it's still free, because I take issue with anyone that'll try and convince me, without hard evidence, that everyone in line at Waterfront Station had a monthly pass or a valid transfer? I had no desire to fight the crowded train to head to Rmd Centre, so I just ended up at the airport.

Other than the occasional moron trying to prevent the door from closing without them on it, using their arm and jamming a door lock, and waiting for trains to clear the track, it was as advertised.

Edited by Canuck_4_Life

well today when i went there wasnt anyone who was checking fares

in fact there were no transit cops in any of the stations except when i passed by langara i think

most ppl were very truthful and bought tickets

in fact there was even a lineup for the machines at city hall cause all of them were broken except one