The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

it does bring up the point of whether gentrification of Strathcona/Chinatown will occur faster. The viaduct was a way of separating the rich from the poor, sometimes for good reason, and sometimes for the worst of reasons. Tearing the viaduct down and building a Woodwards (or 5, as the author suggested) might cause land values to skyrocket (hey...new housing right on the doorsteps of downtown) and cause a domino effect on the neighboring lands.

As well, it's not like the viaduct is causing any neighborhoods to be separated today; that already happened way back in the late 60s with the highway proposal.

We don't need both a Georgia and Dunsmuir Viaduct.

Get rid of the Dunsmuir, since it doesn't take northbound traffic across downtown without changing streets, and Georgia Street is two-way in DT anyways.

Ya, that. I don't mind reducing traffic capacity into downtown. If they did that, and just make the Lion's gate two lanes out, and make the Burrard Bridge two in and three out, well, it would make getting out a lot easier than getting in. I can't help but think that could only improve traffic within downtown.

While they are monkeying with it they could put in a ped overpass from the stadium station to second level of GM place. That would take away a lot of ped conflicts there.

it does bring up the point of whether gentrification of Strathcona/Chinatown will occur faster. The viaduct was a way of separating the rich from the poor, sometimes for good reason, and sometimes for the worst of reasons. Tearing the viaduct down and building a Woodwards (or 5, as the author suggested) might cause land values to skyrocket (hey...new housing right on the doorsteps of downtown) and cause a domino effect on the neighboring lands.

As well, it's not like the viaduct is causing any neighborhoods to be separated today; that already happened way back in the late 60s with the highway proposal.

I think it would occur faster, although it's already well under way. They are just now planning for NEFC, I think incorporating the removal the viaduct in the plan is a good thing, or at least have that as an option.

Here are the boards from the NEFC open houses--they recommend stuff under the viaduct, but not the removal. http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/planning/nefc...rdscombined.pdf

There certainly is good precedent to do it, but I don't know if we should wait for an earth quake....

I think it would occur faster, although it's already well under way. They are just now planning for NEFC, I think incorporating the removal the viaduct in the plan is a good thing, or at least have that as an option.

Here are the boards from the NEFC open houses--they recommend stuff under the viaduct, but not the removal. http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/planning/nefc...rdscombined.pdf

There certainly is good precedent to do it, but I don't know if we should wait for an earth quake....

Odds are we would know if they were in danger of falling down during a quake. You could use that excuse to take down every bridge or building more than a couople decades old.

Your links for the replacement still don't work.

And besides, it's all pointless until you see the results of a traffic study.

Odds are we would know if they were in danger of falling down during a quake. You could use that excuse to take down every bridge or building more than a couople decades old.

Your links for the replacement still don't work.

And besides, it's all pointless until you see the results of a traffic study.

I was joking about the earthquake...

The link still works fine for me....

just google it. it's just a drawing showing what the grid would look like, nothing fancy.

Good news for BMF and Nitro. Got this in my e-mail.

Celebrate new service with this limited-time offer - 25% off all travel to and from Vancouver, B.C.!

In celebration of the new Amtrak Cascades

second train service to Vancouver, B.C. Amtrak is offering 25% off

already low Coach fares when you travel to and from Vancouver, BC. Take

the first-ever direct train service between Portland and Vancouver, BC,

or hop on the second daily train between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Book by December 31, 2009 and travel by January 31, 2010 and you'll

save on your Canadian getaway.

Sample one-way fares to and from Vancouver, BC are as low as:

• Portland, OR: $34.50

• Tacoma, WA: $26.00

• Seattle, WA: $26.00

• Everett, WA: $17.00

• Bellingham, WA: $9.50

BOOK NOW

For fares and schedules, visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL

^ that's a bargain.

Removing the viaducts is quite an interesting idea, and I've always been intrigued by the thought of it. It's quite true that it acts as an artificial barrier between the westside of Downtown and the DTES. Getting rid of it could possibly expedite the rejuvenation of the DTES and would certainly make the entire False Creek area much more lively and walkable.

However, where are you going to put all that traffic? They are going to have to take a really good look at reconfiguring the road network. Non-commercial/truck traffic and working class commuters into downtown need to be considered. The urban fabric of the area has also been built around the viaduct (GM Place viaduct accessibility, Spectrum condo towers).

And as is, much of the space under the viaduct is already a skate park or is slated to be an expanded skate park. It would be a huge shame to lose one of the region's most well used skate facilities, which no doubt gets skaters away from skating/damaging public property like benches.

Personally, I would compromise at developing as much land as we can between the viaducts. For instance, there's a huge lot just across the street east of GM Place wedged between the viaducts. It's ripe for a major mixed-use development. There are also ways to make the viaduct aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by nitronuts

Hopefully that means TransLink has fulfilled their ridership obligations and can restore the 491/496/488/490/492 routes...

Ha. I wish. Even I'm losing hope in the reinstatement of the 400s.

Besides, where are they gonna go? Airport Stn's as deserted as jobing.com Arena during a Coyotes game.

^ probably won't happen, but i could see them reinstating a rush hour 98 B-Line on Granville within the next 5 years. Translink's payments to InTransitBC increase exponentially as the years pass.

Ha. I wish. Most they will do is add on more trains (if they can and have the $$). After taht, expect to see a Vancouver Train Pusher video on youtube.

^ probably won't happen, but i could see them reinstating a rush hour 98 B-Line on Granville within the next 5 years. Translink's payments to InTransitBC increase exponentially as the years pass.

They haven't even started to remove the 98 B-Line signage along Granville. I live in the area and all of the stops still have the route maps on them ;)

They haven't even started to remove the 98 B-Line signage along Granville. I live in the area and all of the stops still have the route maps on them ;)

Eerie.

It reminds me of how the Sabres left the Aud intact until its demolition... The sign outside the arena still advertised the Sabres moving into Marine Midland Arena (now HSBC Arena) and they left all the signs, seats, scoreboard, etc. intact inside the arena. If you didn't know any better, you would've wondered if the Sabres still played there.

The place is gone now, so no more confusion.