The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

While I don't agree completely, he is very highly overvalued. Its the Sedin twin bump. Anson Carter had it. Look how he turned otu when he tried to go his own way. The Canucks shoudl package him up with Raymond for a legit top 3 forward. One of these Nash/Perry/whoever deals people keep floating out. I mean you put Byron Bitz out there with the twins and he can pretty much do the same job.

The term 'agitator' is the most overused word on these forums. Its a word used to describe something positive about a player when there isn't much good to be said about them. Oh that guy, he's such a good agitator. If sweetening a pot with him helps pull in a truly skilled player like Perry or Nash, then its time to cash in while his market value is still inflated. Let some other team find out that he can't score 20+ goals when Henrik and Daniel aren't banking them in off him.

• Upvote 1

While I don't agree completely, he is very highly overvalued. Its the Sedin twin bump. Anson Carter had it. Look how he turned otu when he tried to go his own way. The Canucks shoudl package him up with Raymond for a legit top 3 forward. One of these Nash/Perry/whoever deals people keep floating out. I mean you put Byron Bitz out there with the twins and he can pretty much do the same job.

The term 'agitator' is the most overused word on these forums. Its a word used to describe something positive about a player when there isn't much good to be said about them. Oh that guy, he's such a good agitator. If sweetening a pot with him helps pull in a truly skilled player like Perry or Nash, then its time to cash in while his market value is still inflated. Let some other team find out that he can't score 20+ goals when Henrik and Daniel aren't banking them in off him.

oh my....

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this, but I agree with parts of what you say. Yes, Burrows is overvalued in that he isn't the only "perfect fit" for the Sedins - just about any player in the NHL can play on that line and score 20 or 30 goals with the given opportunity. However, a true star on that line would be scoring upwards of 40 if not 50 quite easily. Burrows whiffs on quite a few quality chances, even tonight against Colorado he could have had 2 goals but he simply isn't a top-20 NHL goal scorer and we shouldn't expect that from him. Hansen and Bitz have both proven they can do exactly the same job with the Sedins that Burrows does, Burr simply got lucky he was the best "gritty forward" at the time the Sedins and AV were looking for a winger after Pyatt and Naslund left.

Burrows wouldn't come close to 20 goals without the Sedins let alone 30, I feel that alone he is just about as good as Hansen and would be producing around the same clip as him given the same opportunity.

However, Burrows brings a lot more to this team than just a top-line forward (even if he isn't the best possible one for the Sedins). He is one of our best penalty killers, he is solid defensively and always boasts one of the team's best +/-, he is one of the best forecheckers on this team, he is an agitator and can get under people's skin (which is a double-edged sword, it can be good in that it puts other team's top players off their game and distracts them, or it can fire them up as it did to Boston), he'll do anything to win and most importantly he is one of the most clutch Canucks on the team.

All up for 2 million dollars this guy is a steal and one of our core players, but I still strongly believe that lately he isn't a great fit for the Sedins. He has 1 goal in his last 11 games with the twins as linemates (2 in his last 22), and Hansen and Bitz had instant success with the Sedins. I don't believe it to be coincidence when Bitz and the twins score 3 goals in 1 game and 1 shift together during their "slump", then Burrows is back with the Sedins and they go on a 3-game scoreless drought yet again. Burrows is a great 2nd or 3rd line player, but the Sedins need someone new.

Oh my indeed ... better check the warranty on my Sarcasm Detector ™

yo...this was more than a lucky pick :)

when i watched the game tonight i asked myself......could someone imagine burr in a other teams uniform?...personally i cant and i hope he will retire as a canuck :towel:

Everytime he scores, he shoots a bow in the air for the passed Luc Bourdon. Also, every other team hates Burrows,

He will retire a Canuck

While I don't agree completely, he is very highly overvalued. Its the Sedin twin bump. Anson Carter had it. Look how he turned otu when he tried to go his own way. The Canucks shoudl package him up with Raymond for a legit top 3 forward. One of these Nash/Perry/whoever deals people keep floating out. I mean you put Byron Bitz out there with the twins and he can pretty much do the same job. The term 'agitator' is the most overused word on these forums. Its a word used to describe something positive about a player when there isn't much good to be said about them. Oh that guy, he's such a good agitator. If sweetening a pot with him helps pull in a truly skilled player like Perry or Nash, then its time to cash in while his market value is still inflated. Let some other team find out that he can't score 20+ goals when Henrik and Daniel aren't banking them in off him.

Really? Do you actually watch hockey? Have you seen the GWG's that keep us alive in the playoffs? The shorthanded goals that shift the momentum in games that we may otherwise have been written off in? Sometimes it's quality and timing that's as relevant as quantity.

If you don't understand the infectious nature of the work ethic and "never say die" attitude that Burr brings to the bench, then you likely have never been a team player. For you have to look beyond goals scored to see his worth...the goals scored are just a bonus. You are so far off base that it isn't even really worthy of a response.

• Upvote 2

If you don't appreciate what burrows means to this team, you have not been following this team for long. It's like the Red Wings getting rid of Holmstrom. He's a Canucks lifer who has been clutch every season. He's been loyal and really started the culture of taking less money for the success of the collective group. You mention Anson Carter, but we also went through a bunch of guys like Bernier and Pyatt with little success until we found Burrows.

There are so many ways in which you are blatantly wrong in your assessment of Burrows. But I don't want to wast my energy in educating a bandwagon fan.