The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Unless they can find a way to trade him, I fully expect Burrows to be back. His production this year is partially due to him getting older, partially due to them asking him to take a different roll with the team and play 3rd and 4th line roll.

When he's out there with the Sedins, he is still capable of performing.

Unless there's an opportunity to sign someone substantial that would require a lot more cap space, (See Stamkos), I will be surprised if they don't opt to let him finish out his contract and retire as a Canuck. He's really earned it over the years.

Sure but he won't get playing time with the Twins next year. At least not until we know if this team is heading for the basement again.

This team has problems selling tickets already, a first line of the twins and Burrows? Unless Matthews is somewhere on the roster, people aren't going to pay to see that.

45 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Sure but he won't get playing time with the Twins next year. At least not until we know if this team is heading for the basement again.

This team has problems selling tickets already, a first line of the twins and Burrows? Unless Matthews is somewhere on the roster, people aren't going to pay to see that.

We definitely need a new first line to transition to, but I've been saying that and have tried to project who would replace them as they become 2nd line this year and 3rd next year. 

There's very little option to do that through free agents and although I really, highly doubt that Stamkos (if he goes free agent) would sign here I'm sure that we will at least be having that discussion with him and see if he's open to coming to Western Canada.

"IF" that was to happen, imagine him centering one of 2nd or 3rd overall pick with Virtanen or something next year. We might not make the playoffs the first year, but that would be a really dynamic new 1st line.

Never hurts to dream, that's about all we have let for this season!

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

Mentoring is hugely overrated ha? Yet the best of all trades have learned from masters at their craft.

FOR MILLENIA.

+1 on absurdity alone.

The Oilers won a pile of cups in the 1980s, so did the Islanders.  Both of those teams were largely manned and certainly led by players between the ages of 19 and 24.  They learned on the job and were talented.  Chicago has a Cap era dynasty, their first cup was won by young players, early to mid-20s.  No older leadership to speak of that I'm aware of.  In fact, I would argue the better the team the less the fact of or need of so-called mentorship.  All along the way players learn from each other and from coaches: the players are never more than 2 years older than yourself, and many of the coaches are already not as good as their proteges.  People learn on the job.  Where culture matters, it's largely a combination of competition, coaching and preparation (summer training, study.)  Most players learn by watching other players, and playing.  The players they watch don't have to be on their team -- tv, video, watching games where you can, it's all helpful.  But some older guy on the team who looks after you or teaches something specific to you happens much less often than ppl think, and rarely does it matter very much.  At least not in my experience.  As for providing models, this probably helps a bit, but the self-discipline a player needs had better be in place already, because no one else on the team is going to provide this for you.  Look at Kassian: great guy, but lacking the discipline an athlete needs; at least that's what we've assumed was the case with Kassian.

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, gameburn said:

The Oilers won a pile of cups in the 1980s, so did the Islanders.  Both of those teams were largely manned and certainly led by players between the ages of 19 and 24.  They learned on the job and were talented.  Chicago has a Cap era dynasty, their first cup was won by young players, early to mid-20s.  No older leadership to speak of that I'm aware of.  In fact, I would argue the better the team the less the fact of or need of so-called mentorship.  All along the way players learn from each other and from coaches: the players are never more than 2 years older than yourself, and many of the coaches are already not as good as their proteges.  People learn on the job.  Where culture matters, it's largely a combination of competition, coaching and preparation (summer training, study.)  Most players learn by watching other players, and playing.  The players they watch don't have to be on their team -- tv, video, watching games where you can, it's all helpful.  But some older guy on the team who looks after you or teaches something specific to you happens much less often than ppl think, and rarely does it matter very much.  At least not in my experience.  As for providing models, this probably helps a bit, but the self-discipline a player needs had better be in place already, because no one else on the team is going to provide this for you.  Look at Kassian: great guy, but lacking the discipline an athlete needs; at least that's what we've assumed was the case with Kassian.

You don't think the Sedins' relentless work ethic on and off the ice, and watching them create magic in their twilight doesn't help those young players click into what is actually possible.

Horvat, Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen have front seats to the show and just imagine being Ben Hutton who started his career with the Vancouver Canucks that one year and ended up playing top minutes feeding the Sedins from the blue line. What a career he will have had.

I think Burrows is another guy who could be on the 4th line for a few years anchoring the heart and soul of this franchise by passing the baton to others like Horvat. I like our vets. Some didn't fit anymore be it Kesler who didn't believe anymore, Bieksa who fast became a deer caught in the headlights of a youth movement or Higgins' weird demotion to the AHL and Prust's sudden arrest by ankle injury, youth has been served. I can think of Niedermayer in Anaheim, Recchi in Boston, Brind 'Amour, Francis; leaders who showed up and made it; pillars of winnings.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Unless they can find a way to trade him, I fully expect Burrows to be back. His production this year is partially due to him getting older, partially due to them asking him to take a different roll with the team and play 3rd and 4th line roll.

When he's out there with the Sedins, he is still capable of performing.

Unless there's an opportunity to sign someone substantial that would require a lot more cap space, (See Stamkos), I will be surprised if they don't opt to let him finish out his contract and retire as a Canuck. He's really earned it over the years.

Even without a UFA, there's no roster space. 

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

You don't think the Sedins' relentless work ethic on and off the ice, and watching them create magic in their twilight doesn't help those young players click into what is actually possible.

Horvat, Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen have front seats to the show and just imagine being Ben Hutton who started his career with the Vancouver Canucks that one year and ended up playing top minutes feeding then Sedins from the blue line. What a career he will have had.

I think Burrows is another guy who could be on the 4th line for a few years anchoring the heart and soul of this franchise by passing the baton to others like Horvat. I like our vets. Some didn't fit anymore be it Kesler who didn't believe anymore, Bieksa who fast became a deer caught in the headlights of a youth movement or Higgins' weird demotion to the AHL and Prust's sudden arrest by ankle injury, youth has been served. I can think of Niedermayer in Anaheim, Recchi in Boston, Brind 'Amour, Francis; leaders who showed up and made it; pillars of winnings.

And Yzerman and Linden now in management -- the mentoring continues.  Okay I see your point. 

While it is possible to win with talent alone, maybe the better organizations take advantage of the players who have had long careers and are still around.  And yes, the Sedins are physically more like McCann than Horvat, so their longevity and fitness is even more remarkable -- how can a young guy like Gaunce or McCann not learn from their training regimen and discipline.  (Hell, the Sedins and Hamhuis are raising kids and have wives with careers -- they are balancing a lot of stuff.)  And one thing I forgot that you reminded me of: the young guys are not really sure they have made it, they probably need whatever wisdom and good habits they can get from the likes of Sedin and Hamhuis just to be able to keep their confidence up.  I suspect that Virtanen could have benefitted from a vet who is a power forward.  We haven't really had once since Bertuzzi. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

And Yzerman and Linden now in management -- the mentoring continues.  Okay I see your point. 

While it is possible to win with talent alone, maybe the better organizations take advantage of the players who have had long careers and are still around.  And yes, the Sedins are physically more like McCann than Horvat, so their longevity and fitness is even more remarkable -- how can a young guy like Gaunce or McCann not learn from their training regimen and discipline.  (Hell, the Sedins and Hamhuis are raising kids and have wives with careers -- they are balancing a lot of stuff.)  And one thing I forgot that you reminded me of: the young guys are not really sure they have made it, they probably need whatever wisdom and good habits they can get from the likes of Sedin and Hamhuis just to be able to keep their confidence up.  I suspect that Virtanen could have benefitted from a vet who is a power forward.  We haven't really had once since Bertuzzi. 

Lucic.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2009 at 3:55 PM, AlwaysEndeavor said:

What makes this funnier is that this thread was started by a guy named Clutch. Burrows is the definition of Clutch.

Many here forget how consistently clutch Burrows has been over the years. See above from 2009. Maybe we need a few golden oldies quoted.

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

This has to do with 2016 In what way?

If you want it to go away, don't ask a queston.  I was having a discussion with Biekstra about who is a better clutch player Burrows or Linden.  I could go on and on if you like.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

Tonight is going to be a tough night. Might be the last time we see him in a Canucks jersey. The Dragon Slayer will be missed.

I agree.

How to treat him with dignity?  They didn't scratch him this year: get an "A" for that.  But next year? If you buy him out, it sounds bad, but if you send him to Utica to "mentor" this is bad, sort of, too.  But I don't see him playing a regular shift next year. 

I thought he would retire. But the truth is: too much money is involved.  If B has any personal responsibilities (to family etc.,) he CAN'T do the right thing and retire.  Not fair to his family.  Maybe buying him out is the best way: saves him the silliness of Utica or hanging around like Ryan Smyth.  I want him to have a retirement night.  And retire his number.

Edited by gameburn

Just now, Lychees said:

What may be the last time he puts the puck in the net for the Nucks,  The tribute to Bourdon.  &^@#... Im gonna cry

Funny how this stuff works eh, you think the hockey gods are cruel and then that happens

Just like Sundin back to Toronto to score the winner

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Frankly if he is back next year I am okay with it. 

Same tbh. He only has one more year left on his contract, so that isn't an issue anymore.

Sedins, Hansen, and Burrows will only be your forward vets. Plus, there's always, always injuries.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the HNC interview and Burrows is effin awesome. He's no BS, "If they(Canucks) what to get younger, I get it. I'll just go and get another job." I'd keep him around as that 13-14 forward. He's a pro and he can teach young guys how to be a pro. 

• Upvote 2