The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

She used to be very pretty. Time hasnt been on her side.

was watching her as sarah connor in terminator sarah connor chronicles, and she was gorgeous back then.

She is still very attractive, but yes age is slowly catching up to her. She has been on this show for 5 years now we should remember.

Another slow episode. Wife and I are getting bored of this show. Such a shame. The previous seasons were so much more entertaining. We are no longer excited to see this

Other than the Dornish sequence I thought this is a good episode. Littlefinger's plan is revealed so now it seems sending Sansa to Winterfell makes sense. Arya is still awesome. Cercei is still a c&%t. Jorah and Tyrion's plot is picking up and Sansa is climbing the GoT depth chart to second line status. Overall I'm cool with it.

The feminazis are still out in full force though. Didn't hear a peep when Theon had his d!ick cut off

Man, I hate that term because I feel it undermines a lot of what feminism is actually about but I have to agree that they are kind of over-reacting to this scene. I thought it was going to be way worse based on some comments I saw about it. I saw someone say that GoT and "gone out of their way" to write in a rape scene to use as a plot device. ...!? I don't feel like they've gone out of their way to do anything here, I know in the books it wasn't Sansa but it's not like this was out of left-field. And it's not like they are glorifying rape...if anything they are saying that rape is terrible and if you rape, you're a terrible person like Ramsay is.

Edit: I've had some time to think about this and had some discussions about it. It does seem kind of excessive that they've now had at least 3 main female characters raped in the show (Dany, Cersei, and Sansa). Again, I haven't read them but my understanding is that none of those 3 characters were raped in the books. I hope that this most recent scene will at least serve some sort of purpose in the Sansa/Theon storyline and wasn't added simply for shock value (AKA Theon snaps and kills Ramsay at the start of the next episode or something ;)).

Anyway, as a non-book reader I'm fairly nervous about what went down at King's Landing.

Edited by ckamo

Man, I hate that term because I feel it undermines a lot of what feminism is actually about but I have to agree that they are kind of over-reacting to this scene. I thought it was going to be way worse based on some comments I saw about it. I saw someone say that GoT and "gone out of their way" to write in a rape scene to use as a plot device. ...!? I don't feel like they've gone out of their way to do anything here, I know in the books it wasn't Sansa but it's not like this was out of left-field. And it's not like they are glorifying rape...if anything they are saying that rape is terrible and if you rape, you're a terrible person like Ramsay is.

Edit: I've had some time to think about this and had some discussions about it. It does seem kind of excessive that they've now had at least 3 main female characters raped in the show (Dany, Cersei, and Sansa). Again, I haven't read them but my understanding is that none of those 3 characters were raped in the books. I hope that this most recent scene will at least serve some sort of purpose in the Sansa/Theon storyline and wasn't added simply for shock value (AKA Theon snaps and kills Ramsay at the start of the next episode or something ;)).

Anyway, as a non-book reader I'm fairly nervous about what went down at King's Landing.

Was hoping for the second last bit at the end of the episode as well!

Cercei kind of willingly had sex with Jaime next to Joffrey's corpse.

Drogo made Dany soaking wet before going in.

With these two, I do wonder why HBO changed their behaviours. With Sansa, it was a predictable and pretty much a necessarily part of changing Sansa's storyline. I'm more baffled by Cercei's and Dany's than Sansa's.

I thought people might be interested to know that even though the cast of GoT is almost exclusively Europeans, (the one exception being American Peter Dinklage) there is some Canadian content as well.

This particular star has less lines than Hodor, but can convey more menace with a simple look than either of the Clegane brothers and is far more dangerous than a Sand Snake...

Meet Quigley, a Calgary based denizen of the North:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/game-of-thrones-casts-alberta-wolf-as-jon-snow-s-canine-companion-1.3078253

A four-legged star of Game of Thrones is being trained just south of Red Deer, Alta.

Quigly, who plays the wolf Ghost in the HBO series, is just one of a pack of wolves being trained by Andrew Simpson, the owner and operator of Instinct Animals for Film.

Simpson and his animals have worked all over the world, appearing in movies like Braveheart, Borat, Eight Below, Elf and shows like Heartland and Supernatural.

But their most recent adventure to Westeros, the fantasy world whereGame of Thrones is set, involved only a trip to Calgary.

While most of the show is shot in Ireland, Croatia, Iceland and Morocco, a small unit was sent to Calgary to film Quigly's scenes.

"Quigly is a big old Arctic wolf," Simpson said of the now-famous eight-year-old canine. "He's a very sweet wolf, but you'll see in one of the upcoming episodes that he has a darker side to him."

Quigly has appeared as Ghost — the "dire wolf" companion of Jon Snow, one of the show's principal characters — before and will make a return appearance on Sunday's episode.

Like his character, there is more to Quigly than meets the eyes.

"Every single wolf, just like children, has a different personality," Simpson said of his animals.

"They are really easy to work with — to a certain extent. I mean, they're incredibly intelligent. They're much smarter than a dog, but because they're so intelligent it also makes them harder to work with."

You can't trick a wolf

For instance, you can't trick a wolf into doing something it doesn't want to, he said.

Also unlike dogs, wolves are naturally suspicious and cautious of their surroundings and are easily spooked, which can make training them for work on set tricky.

"You can teach them to do something and they learn it very quickly at their home base, but when you take it to production — you're sometimes dealing with 100 to 200 people in a very strange environment with lots of cameras and wind machines and special effects.

"It takes a special animal to actually go through the whole process from start to finish."

And not all trained wolves, or animals for that matter, are equal, Simpson said.

"So sometimes a production will call you and say 'OK, we want a white wolf to do this.' And you have a white wolf like Quigly, he may be good at some things, but he may not be good at everything else. So usually we will have two or three that will play the same character."

Although his animals are now sought for film and TV productions around the world, Simpson said he never planned to become one of Hollywood's go-to wolf trainers.

"It wasn't something I set out to do, to be honest," he said. "I started out with other animals first, you know, dogs, cats, all the little stuff, but then my fascination was always with wolves."

When the opportunity arose to work with wolves a few years ago, Simpson jumped at the chance.

It's a full-time job. Simpson currently trains 30 wolves, each of which came to his company when they were just days old, just before their eyes opened for the first time. After the animals arrive, Simpson and his colleagues then spend months bonding with the animals 24 hours a day.

Asked the best way to train wolves, Simpson is quick to answer with a joke. "Most people would say very carefully."

Simpson is hopeful that care will pay off, and that more of his animals will get cast in the show.

"They just started shooting season six now and we have been talking about it — so, the next couple of seasons, I'm hoping."

Quigly's big moment will air on the May 24 episode of Game of Thrones.

So take that, Americans. You have The Imp, but we have Ghost. -_-

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

Horrifying ending. I wonder how it will affect Sansa as a character and theo.

Ramsy becoming a great villain.

The actor who plays Ramsay, whatever his weird ass Irish name is, was great last episode. He has internalized torture and terror to a point where he probably truly believed he was being a gentleman and was making Sansa happy.

The actor who plays Ramsay, whatever his weird ass Irish name is, was great last episode. He has internalized torture and terror to a point where he probably truly believed he was being a gentleman and was making Sansa happy.

Iwan (pronounced "Eye-One") Rheon and he's Welsh, not Irish.

He's also a musician. He has released 3 EP's and has just finished his first album. (No truth to the rumor of him being the lead singer of a heavy metal band called "Flayer"... B) )

Ramsy vs. Joffrey

Not even close.

Ramsay threw himself half-naked into a fight with a bunch of Iron Born. (and looked to be enjoying himself) Joffrey hid behind his mother`s skirts during the Battle of the Blackwater...(and then took credit for his uncle`s victory)

• Upvote 1

Not even close.

Ramsay threw himself half-naked into a fight with a bunch of Iron Born. (and looked to be enjoying himself) Joffrey hid behind his mother`s skirts during the Battle of the Blackwater...(and then took credit for his uncle`s victory)

Ramsay is always enjoying himself - A very admirable quality.

The only way someone truly earns his trust is by him breaking you completely, like Theo. I wonder if Sansa's will be broken as well.

The North's story just keeps getting more interesting. So many different plots that I have a feeling that all of them are going to come together.

Cercei kind of willingly had sex with Jaime next to Joffrey's corpse.

Drogo made Dany soaking wet before going in.

With these two, I do wonder why HBO changed their behaviours. With Sansa, it was a predictable and pretty much a necessarily part of changing Sansa's storyline. I'm more baffled by Cercei's and Dany's than Sansa's.

In the show Cersei and Jaime's scene was not portrayed as consensual. She repeatedly tries to push away and tells him to stop. Similarly, Dany was frightened and was crying pretty much the entire scene with Drogo. Again, I haven't read the books so if you're saying those scenes were completely different in the books I'll take your word for it but I'm baffled (and a bit concerned) that they would change these scenes to more or less depict rape.

I agree with you, if they were going to show Sansa's wedding night I don't think there was any way around including something traumatic like this, and I hope that this isn't just going to be like "oh by the way, here's some rape" and they at least make this a major turning point in Sansa's and/or Theon's plot.

I've been majorly impressed with Sansa. Theon and Ramsay this season in terms of acting though (sorry can't remember all the actors' names). Also, Littlefinger is such an evil manipulative little turd, but I can't help but cheer for him because he just plays this game so well....

In the show Cersei and Jaime's scene was not portrayed as consensual. She repeatedly tries to push away and tells him to stop. Similarly, Dany was frightened and was crying pretty much the entire scene with Drogo. Again, I haven't read the books so if you're saying those scenes were completely different in the books I'll take your word for it but I'm baffled (and a bit concerned) that they would change these scenes to more or less depict rape.

I agree with you, if they were going to show Sansa's wedding night I don't think there was any way around including something traumatic like this, and I hope that this isn't just going to be like "oh by the way, here's some rape" and they at least make this a major turning point in Sansa's and/or Theon's plot.

I've been majorly impressed with Sansa. Theon and Ramsay this season in terms of acting though (sorry can't remember all the actors' names). Also, Littlefinger is such an evil manipulative little turd, but I can't help but cheer for him because he just plays this game so well....

cersei's was definitely different in the book,

GRRM(author):

"I think the "butterfly effect" that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey's death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her.

The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other's company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that's just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection."

Drogo's i think was pretty well explained in the tv show if you go back and watch those episodes when Dany learns to "seduce him". That is just how dothraki behave towards women and how it was written in the book from what i remember.

edit: added link to article

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/04/game-of-thrones-author-weighs-in-on-rape

Edited by stexx

I was talking about the books with Cercei and Dany.