The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Yeah, this is slipping into spoiler territory again people. Let's keep it clean, for the sake of the children!

For the first time ever, I am not looking forward to the next episode of GoT. I have a bad feeling that D&D are going to alienate me from the show with more stupid plot changes.

Yeah, this is slipping into spoiler territory again people. Let's keep it clean, for the sake of the children!

For the first time ever, I am not looking forward to the next episode of GoT. I have a bad feeling that D&D are going to alienate me from the show with more stupid plot changes.

Really? I'm pretty sure Jon's and Cercei's plots will be almost identical to the book's. Arya's fairly insignificant and Winterfell hasn't been disclosed in the books.

I don't get this. It's a show based on a book. If you want things to be totally true to the book, read the book again.

• Upvote 1

Meryn's actually a pretty good Kingsguard. Unlike Ser Jaime, he does exactly as asked and protects both his King and those his King wishes to be kept safe. Sure, he beats women, pays for underage services and appears to be massively xenophobic, but who isn't in Westeros?

Think about you're saying. Meryn Trant is useless as a kingsguard. He has protected absolutely no one. He is completely corrupt to Cersei, unnessarily cruel, upholds zero values of knighthood, and let Robert AND Joffrey die. Trant is a prime example of Cersei's incompetence. She deliberately appoints her cronies to the Kingsguard because they are easy to control, and yet this has achieved absolutely nothing other than a dead son.

Think about you're saying. Meryn Trant is useless as a kingsguard. He has protected absolutely no one. He is completely corrupt to Cersei, unnessarily cruel, upholds zero values of knighthood, and let Robert AND Joffrey die. Trant is a prime example of Cersei's incompetence. She deliberately appoints her cronies to the Kingsguard because they are easy to control, and yet this has achieved absolutely nothing other than a dead son.

I admire your spirit, but:

Robert was technically Ser Barristan's fault, if you want to blame a Kingsguard.

And Joffrey, the Kingsguards weren't wine tasters. Though maybe you can blame Cercei for sending Pycelle away, making any resuscitation attempts impossible.

It hasn't been Meryn's job to protect anyone, as Hugor said - Barristan was with Robert when he died, and if you remember was chuckling at the argument he had with Renly and at how much Robert had been drinking. Ser Barristan the Bad. And no Kingsguard could save Joffrey, we know that, so another pointless slandering of Meryn's honour.

Plenty of Kingsguard have been appointed through the King by others, Meryn is no exception to this. The whole point of the Kingsguard is that they are easy to control, they do as asked, when asked, and don't question orders. Kingsguard are meant to be loyal, no matter their personal opinions. Hence why Meryn Trant is actually better suited to being a Kingsguard than Barristan, Jaime, or any other ponce out there.

I still want him to die though ::D

I don't get this. It's a show based on a book. If you want things to be totally true to the book, read the book again.

Until the last 4/5 episodes this was the closest adaptation of a fantasy book to tv series ever made. However, the divergences in plotlines that have unfolded recently mean that this is now in danger of becoming poorly-written fan fiction. I'm fine with fan fiction too, if it's done right, but completely changing the character and personality of book characters means you're taking the intended fantasy world and making your own up, albeit using known characters. I'd like D&D to get back on track.

Personally, I'd have swapped Hardhome and all those scenes leading up to it for 45mins of the Iron Islands and the Kingsmoot. And I'm fine with D&D not doing so - if there's a point. We know there's an army of the dead, we know what they look like, yawn.

One more episode to renew my faith, otherwise I'll have to stop believing this to be an adaptation and instead view it as it's becoming - a soap opera set in a well-known fantasy world created by one of history's all-time great fantasy writers. But apparently D&D know better than GRRM.

Until the last 4/5 episodes this was the closest adaptation of a fantasy book to tv series ever made. However, the divergences in plotlines that have unfolded recently mean that this is now in danger of becoming poorly-written fan fiction. I'm fine with fan fiction too, if it's done right, but completely changing the character and personality of book characters means you're taking the intended fantasy world and making your own up, albeit using known characters. I'd like D&D to get back on track.

Personally, I'd have swapped Hardhome and all those scenes leading up to it for 45mins of the Iron Islands and the Kingsmoot. And I'm fine with D&D not doing so - if there's a point. We know there's an army of the dead, we know what they look like, yawn.

One more episode to renew my faith, otherwise I'll have to stop believing this to be an adaptation and instead view it as it's becoming - a soap opera set in a well-known fantasy world created by one of history's all-time great fantasy writers. But apparently D&D know better than GRRM.

Well considering that the show is going to continue without the books, it's pretty much in the hands of D&D now

Well considering that the show is going to continue without the books, it's pretty much in the hands of D&D now

Well yeah, there's this that forces them to make some changes. But again, I just find it weird that people get so up in arms about an adaptation of a book when it's not exactly as the book was written. TV or movies are different from books. They have to be different for a variety of reasons. Some things are better, some things are worse. But in either case it's entirely subjective and frankly if it makes for exciting TV, who cares.

Edited by inane

Well yeah, there's this that forces them to make some changes. But again, I just find it weird that people get so up in arms about an adaptation of a book when it's not exactly as the book was written. TV or movies are different from books. They have to be different for a variety of reasons. Some things are better, some things are worse. But in either case it's entirely subjective and frankly if it makes for exciting TV, who cares.

Agreed. Some people act like it's the worst thing in the world.

If anything, shouldn't you be happy you're getting a different story rather than the one you already know?

Maybe some book readers are annoyed because they are no longer able to talk down to non-book readers.

As a book reader who bought the series when it first debuted in the 90's, I can say that I enjoy both.

For some reason, people can't handle the fact that a 10 episode season is going to have to omit some of the book's story arcs. There are several characters that I miss:

Vargo Hoat, Coldhands, Lady Stoneheart, Strong Belwas, Jon Connington...

That being said, I actually like some of the shortcuts taken in the tv series. Tyrion and Jorah's journey through Valyria and the Battle of Hardhome are two examples off the top of my head.

The point is, I look at the books and the series as two different entities, both with their own strengths and weaknesses. I have no trouble enjoying both for what they are and quite frankly am a bit surprised that some others have such a hard time doing so.

• Upvote 2

At few changes have kind of bothered me but I understand that there's no possible way D&D could have made a coherent adaptation for TV while staying true to everything in the books. They've done a great job with this show imo.

I haven't much liked the Sand Snakes, (well, except for a couple of things ;)) but I'm going to reserve final judgement on the entire Dorne situation until the story arc has time to play out.

That probably won't happen this season.

I haven't much liked the Sand Snakes, (well, except for a couple of things ;)) but I'm going to reserve final judgement on the entire Dorne situation until the story arc has time to play out.

That probably won't happen this season.

They need to tell us next episode where this arc is going.

Edited by Hugor Hill

At few changes have kind of bothered me but I understand that there's no possible way D&D could have made a coherent adaptation for TV while staying true to everything in the books. They've done a great job with this show imo.

Seasons should have been 24 episodes IMO, IDC work the crew day and night if you have to!!! I want more GOT!!!!!